Player Discussion John-Jason (JJ) Peterka, RW (34th overall, 2020) -- Signed to ELC

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
I have that gut feeling this kid will be something really special for us if we can be patient enough to put him on the Olof development path.

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
He's going to be an NHL player for sure. Question is if he ends up in the top 6, or he becomes 'just' a 3rd or 4th liner with some grit and scoring ability.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
DEL has a really uneven talent level but it might be good to develop his scoring. I wouldn't move him until he's a leading player in the DEL.

I moved between different countries aged 18-24 and while I loved it myself it's hard on some people to leave their family etc.

Especially germans I met abroad had 0 householding skills, they'd set fire to the kitchen and microwave metal cans. Anecdotal but still...

Sometimes waiting to bring prospects over might help them prepare on other levels than just on the hockey level.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
DEL has a really uneven talent level but it might be good to develop his scoring. I wouldn't move him until he's a leading player in the DEL.

I moved between different countries aged 18-24 and while I loved it myself it's hard on some people to leave their family etc.

Especially germans I met abroad had 0 householding skills, they'd set fire to the kitchen and microwave metal cans. Anecdotal but still...

Sometimes waiting to bring prospects over might help them prepare on other levels than just on the hockey level.

I'm sure there are some veteran leaders who'd be willing to teach a kid how to use a microwave haha

2 others

Mar 9, 2021

I think this is not true at all, and has nothing to do with nationality.
Don't forget, he already had to move several times. He played for Salzburg and München, so he definitely had to move out of his comfort zone. München and Salzburg are close, but i'm sure he had to move to Salzburg, at least temporarily.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I think this is not true at all, and has nothing to do with nationality.
Don't forget, he already had to move several times. He played for Salzburg and München, so he definitely had to move out of his comfort zone. München and Salzburg are close, but i'm sure he had to move to Salzburg, at least temporarily.

...I wanna go to Salzburg. We were going to do an Austria/Germany vacation last summer but covid. bah.

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
...I wanna go to Salzburg. We were going to do an Austria/Germany vacation last summer but covid. bah.
It's a very small town, i'd rather go to Vienna if i were you. Unless you are leaning towards visiting the surrounding nature, mountains, etc, than it's freaking awesome.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
It's a very small town, i'd rather go to Vienna if i were you. Unless you are leaning towards visiting the surrounding nature, mountains, etc, than it's freaking awesome.

We were going to do a trip based on the life of Beethoven and try to visit a bunch of noteworthy places in his lifetime. Last year was his 250th birthday and there was a big year-long event planned.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I'm sure there are some veteran leaders who'd be willing to teach a kid how to use a microwave haha
To be fair they were all bavarians, they haven't been at the top of their game since King Ludwig died.

Football team I followed had a striker from Brazil come down with scurvy. He'd been living on instant noodles for more than a year. You'd think a team that invests millions in their players would make sure they eat their veggies...

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

I think it's pretty common for kids like Peterka to have roommates when they come over. I imagine he'd live with another Rochester-bound prospect, or maybe even an AHL vet, at least for the first year while he gets adapted.

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
After his time in Salzburg where he dominated, he played 4th line minutes in Munich for a long time this season. In the last games you saw the scoring ability is there. He still doesnt dominate the league.
Thats why i think 1 more year in Munich wouldnt be a mistake. He has a coach who played NHL. He has NHL vets. as teammates. Most famous is Roy. He has to earn his minutes. Munich is a top team in the league.
Stützle played NHL right away after his DEL time. Maybe the same would be possible for Peterka with 1 more year of development.

Last edited:
Reactions: elchud and HaNotsri

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
To be fair they were all bavarians, they haven't been at the top of their game since King Ludwig died..
My wife is German and she would tell you Bavarians aren’t real Germans.

Also is there some cliché in North America about Germans and microwaves? She spent a year on a school exchange in St Louis and she told me her host family made a big deal of explaining to her what the microwave was. She was confused as she’d had one in her house in Germany for as long as she could remember.

Last edited:
Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
After his time in Salzburg where he dominated, he played 4th line minutes in Munich for a long time this season. In the last games you saw the scoring ability is there. He still doesnt dominate the league.
Thats why i think 1 more year in Munich wouldnt be a mistake. He has a coach who played NHL. He has NHL vets. as teammates. Most famous is Roy. He has to earn his minutes. Munich is a top team in the league.
Stützle played NHL right away after his DEL time. Maybe the same would be possible for Peterka with 1 more year of development.
Munich is also snobby, no wonder Derek Roy likes it there.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

2 others

Mar 9, 2021

Also is there some cliché in North America about Germans and microwaves? She spent a year on a school exchange in St Louis and she told me her host family made a big deal of explaining to her what the microwave was. She was confused as she’d had one in her house in Germany for as long as she could remember.
A lot of Americans think that Europeans live under a rock, at least in the countryside. Their universe stretches along the US border only.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013

I lived with plenty of German exchange students and pretty much all of the male ones set fire to the kitchen. No joke.

I shouldn't judge all Germans because of this but... if you let a German man in his twenties use your kitchen make sure he knows how to use the fire extinguisher first.

I love Bavaria btw, some really, really weird places.
If anyone here goes over the pond to see Peterka I recommend Georg Laues wunderkammer, the shop palma kuhnkel and the castle neuschwanstein

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
I lived with plenty of German exchange students and pretty much all of the male ones set fire to the kitchen. No joke.

I shouldn't judge all Germans because of this but... if you let a German man in his twenties use your kitchen make sure he knows how to use the fire extinguisher first.
Haha. Again to quote my wife when she was asked why she married me and not a German “have you met German men?”

If travel ever gets easier we are planning to go back to Germany for a Xmas (probably 2022) and I’m planning to catch some hockey games with my kids. Wrong side of the country to see Peterka though and hopefully by that point he’ll have graduated to at least the AHL anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad