Player Discussion John Gilmour

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Gilmour is a perfect example of a player seizing the opportunity to secure a roster spot. When there is nobody in front of him burying him on a depth chart he gets a chance. A chance that isn't 1 or 2 games. Were seeing a player emerge here and its a lot of fun. Of course the fact that he is a lightning quick skater makes it that much more noticeable. Still a lot of concerns here for me on the defensive side of the puck, but I think he's been the guy that has impressed the most since being recalled.

I think Pionk has been the better player. He's the only one who I think should have a definite spot going into next season. Gilmour could very well earn a spot in my opinion. I'd be very close to getting rid of DeAngelo. Not been impressed, at all.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I can live with a guy that's weak-ish defensively if he's given a responsible partner that can help cover his mistakes, and maybe sheltered minutes and zone starts. That of course requires a coach that doesn't pull pairings and line combinations out of a hat. He looks like a guy that could thrive on the third pair with a steady partner, getting PP time and a lot of offensive starts.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think Pionk has been the better player. He's the only one who I think should have a definite spot going into next season. Gilmour could very well earn a spot in my opinion. I'd be very close to getting rid of DeAngelo. Not been impressed, at all.
I agree that Pionk has been very good and should be considered very likely to have a spot next season.

The rest--ADA, Gilmour, O'Gara, even Sproul and Bigras, should be given a fresh look with a new coach. As I've said previously, AV's system makes legitimate, established defenseman look like clowns at times, so these guys still learning the ropes have a real uphill battle. It doesn't help that a lot of these guys have come up when the ship first started springing leaks or was half underwater. There's something to be said for playing with the confidence developed through winning, or at least playing respectable hockey and not looking like ice dancers with sticks.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I can live with a guy that's weak-ish defensively if he's given a responsible partner that can help cover his mistakes, and maybe sheltered minutes and zone starts. That of course requires a coach that doesn't pull pairings and line combinations out of a hat. He looks like a guy that could thrive on the third pair with a steady partner, getting PP time and a lot of offensive starts.

I think the team is going to have to choose two of Pionk, Gilmour, DeAngelo as part of the team going into next year. Maybe not discard the other, but send that player to the minors. Especially considering we already have Shatty, you can't have 4 of your 6 D be that small, in my opinion. Gotta have more of a balance. And even from an offense/defense perspective, Shatty, DeAngelo, Gilmour as 3 of the 6 is having 1/2 your defense can't really play NHL defense.

Reactions: eco's bones

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I don’t think Gilmour would claim waivers next year... with the way he’s playing some other GM will snap him up

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
He’s been real good with the puck and very confident for his experience level. He needs an effective and safe partner though to get the best out of him.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
He really isn't as bad defensively as we're all making it sound.

The only times when his defensive play looks poor is when the opponent establishes control in the zone. But very often, he is the reason that that control doesn't occur in the first place.

He's been pretty clearly better than Pionk from what I've seen so far. Can he handle Pionk's usage? Maybe not. I don't think it would be a clear cut decision for any coach if he had to pick one to stay.

If it wasn't for ADA's higher end potential, I'd already have moved both ahead of him on the depth chart.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

The only times when his defensive play looks poor is when the opponent establishes control in the zone. But very often, he is the reason that that control doesn't occur in the first place.

He's been pretty clearly better than Pionk from what I've seen so far. Can he handle Pionk's usage? Maybe not. I don't think it would be a clear cut decision for any coach if he had to pick one to stay.

If it wasn't for ADA's higher end potential, I'd already have moved both ahead of him on the depth chart.

He hasn't been better than Pionk.

Blais to Win

Dec 16, 2009
I like Gilmour more than Pionk. Still he's smallish and like others, I don't want half the D corps to be his size. They're both really running with the opportunity and avoiding mistakes, which is great to see.

DeAngelo looks like a wizard sometimes but where are the points and the consistency? And where's the actual defense?

If I had to chose two of the three at this point, I take Gilmour and Pionk.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course

Agree with you on Gilmour. Another variable going into training camp is ADA will be subject to waivers--so, if he plays well in the fall, either Pionk or Gilmour could end up losing out because they are still waiver exempt

Reactions: Harbour Dog

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Did you just catch overtime in the last match?
I'd say Pionk has been far better. Gilmour's been better than DeAngelo, though.

I've seen every game since they got called up, minus the first period of last game. Gilmour's weaknesses are more apparent, and that makes it look like Pionk is that much better.

When Gilmour gets the puck, it gets out of the zone and most times into the opponent's zone quickly and efficiently.

Only my opinion of course, but he has been the better of the three so far.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Gilmour has a nice ability to grab a loose puck in the neutral zone and in two shakes of a lambs tail, be face to face with the opposing goalie.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
The Rangers should keep all (3) of these guys up next year. Skjei, Shattenkirk and Staal are the veterans.

Skjei-Pionk
Gilmour-Shattenkirk
Staal-ADA

It's not ideal but the team is rebuilding.

Your second pair is very concerning rebuild or not.

You think as a group Skjei-Pionk, Gilmour-Shattenkirk will be better than Skjei-Shattenkirk, Gilmour-Pionk?

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I'm not concerned in the least. I'm sure the pairings will be mixed and matched over the course of a season. You really don't think those four won't see time with each other?

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Do you guys think Smith is done and buried forever in Hartford? I dont. If I am he, i bust my ass to get back to that Smitty guy that played like an animal in the PO's. If he does, that would present a very good and viable option defensively. Without Smith in the equation, Marc becomes that much more a necessity. Who knows, we may even have Hajek as another candidate. I believe he will surpass anyone of the 3 we already been talking about.
Skeji/Pionk
Smith/Shatty
Hajek/ADA/Staal/Gilmour
If anyone of the 3 (not named Marc) on the 3rd pairing proves they could be on the 2nd, then i would drop Shatty down to pair with Marc and just give the remaining kids more time. I'd keep ADA around as 7th, spelling Marc against lesser opponents.
Of course this is based on Smitty coming back with a vengeance. Okay, go ahead......rip me.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Do you guys think Smith is done and buried forever in Hartford? I dont. If I am he, i bust my ass to get back to that Smitty guy that played like an animal in the PO's. If he does, that would present a very good and viable option defensively. Without Smith in the equation, Marc becomes that much more a necessity. Who knows, we may even have Hajek as another candidate. I believe he will surpass anyone of the 3 we already been talking about.
Skeji/Pionk
Smith/Shatty
Hajek/ADA/Staal/Gilmour
If anyone of the 3 (not named Marc) on the 3rd pairing proves they could be on the 2nd, then i would drop Shatty down to pair with Marc and just give the remaining kids more time. I'd keep ADA around as 7th, spelling Marc against lesser opponents.
Of course this is based on Smitty coming back with a vengeance. Okay, go ahead......rip me.

I agree with most of this.

Smith will try his damnsest to salvage his career imo and may pull it off.

Hajek is an outside possiblity but will likely start in Hartford. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him up at some point in the year though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad