Player Discussion John Gilmour

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Happy to say it, but it already looks like we've "upgraded" our 5&6. Then again, small sample size I know, but really doesn't say much for those that have been replaced.....that's the sad thing. Not like these kids were "sure things", but thus far thumbs up!

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I think he’ll carve out a career as a bottom pair defenseman... he can skate and shoots the puck a ton

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
I definitely think Gilmour can be a bottom pair guy. His defending leaves a lot to be desired, but his skating ability always keeps him in the fight.

Don't kill me for the comparison, but I think he could defensively evolve like an Erik Karlsson. Karlsson was a pretty poor defender when he first entered the league, but his insane skating ability always kept him contesting the play in some way, shape, or form. Over time, he was able to improve and is now a very good defensive player. Karlsson, of course, has more talent in one pinky than Gilmour does in his entire body, but I could see Gilmour turning into a 3rd pair version, stylistically. That is assuming everything goes right for him. He's already 24, though, so maybe he is what he is right now and everything I've just said is bunk. Who knows. I really like his play style though. Him and Pionk aren't allergic to shooting the puck like almost everyone else on our roster.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I definitely think Gilmour can be a bottom pair guy. His defending leaves a lot to be desired, but his skating ability always keeps him in the fight.

Don't kill me for the comparison, but I think he could defensively evolve like an Erik Karlsson. Karlsson was a pretty poor defender when he first entered the league, but his insane skating ability always kept him contesting the play in some way, shape, or form. Over time, he was able to improve and is now a very good defensive player. Karlsson, of course, has more talent in one pinky than Gilmour does in his entire body, but I could see Gilmour turning into a 3rd pair version, stylistically. That is assuming everything goes right for him. He's already 24, though, so maybe he is what he is right now and everything I've just said is bunk. Who knows. I really like his play style though. Him and Pionk aren't allergic to shooting the puck like almost everyone else on our roster.

I see a little Torey Krug. But I'd be ecstatic if he could be a poor man's Krug on the 3rd pairing.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
I wonder what it feels like to be John Gilmour right now. This time last year he was wrapping up one of the worst seasons I can recall an AHL defenseman having. Now he's playing in the NHL and actually looking like he belongs.
He kind of sucks defensively but man can he skate. Not many players faster than him in the league. Unreal when he breaks out of the zone with speed.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
He kind of sucks defensively but man can he skate. Not many players faster than him in the league. Unreal when he breaks out of the zone with speed.
He won fastest skater in the AHL. His time would put him in the top 5 for the NHL event history.. not sure if there’s much of a difference in the track.

I still think he should move to wing and become Micheal grabner(who’s time he beat). He’d become an effective little nat in the offensive zone that you couldn’t hit or catch up to.

Reactions: Ori

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
For all the crap he takes from the boards, being voted the 20th best prospect, the terrible plus/minus last year, he's going about his business like a typical underdog and late bloomer. He has such a nice skillset for the modern game, very good on the rush and in the offensive zone, great shot. I'd like to see him a bit more on the right side, his preferred side. If he can work on his defensive game a little he's so much more compelling to someone like Kampfer. It's hard not to want to root for this guy while he's proving all the nay sayers wrong.

Reactions: Ola

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
He won fastest skater in the AHL. His time would put him in the top 5 for the NHL event history.. not sure if there’s much of a difference in the track.

I still think he should move to wing and become Micheal grabner(who’s time he beat). He’d become an effective little nat in the offensive zone that you couldn’t hit or catch up to.
Yes consider his size - it`s a good suggestion indeed and he can adapt in a new position since he is still young.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
hey guys, fantasy question, ive been stashing deangelo because of his offense but see Gilmour is getting more of the opportunity on top PP but both getting similar overall mins

should i ditch deangelo for gilmour ?

thanks in advance

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Gilmour is a perfect example of a player seizing the opportunity to secure a roster spot. When there is nobody in front of him burying him on a depth chart he gets a chance. A chance that isn't 1 or 2 games. Were seeing a player emerge here and its a lot of fun. Of course the fact that he is a lightning quick skater makes it that much more noticeable. Still a lot of concerns here for me on the defensive side of the puck, but I think he's been the guy that has impressed the most since being recalled.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
I wonder what it feels like to be John Gilmour right now. This time last year he was wrapping up one of the worst seasons I can recall an AHL defenseman having. Now he's playing in the NHL and actually looking like he belongs.
All this while playing in AV's awful defensive system. Just think how good he'll be when we get a better coach in here this summer.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->