Player Discussion John Gilmour

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's slow, most likely the reason.

Except he's not.

He's a better hockey player than DeAngelo, Gilmour and Pionk. He should ask for a trade because this team evidently doesn't care to give him a chance. He can play in the NHL, and should've been in our lineup all season.

I think it has more to do with Gorton's preference for defensemen, which we see hasn't been working out too well this season.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Graves is 22 turning 23 in May. Gilmour is 24 turning 25 in May, arbitration eligible after the season.

They need to see something from Gilmour before committing another contract from him. Graves has more time before he has to show anything.

Better to get a look at an asset to expire sooner rather than later.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Gilmour is a pending RFA, I'm guessing maybe they want to get a look at him at the NHL level to see if they are going to qualify or offer something higher than the qualifiers.

I edited it because I was wrong and am not afraid to admit it.

Last edited:
Reactions: leetch99

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Pretty amazing turnaround from being an absolute garbage fire last season into an AHL All Star this year earning his first cup of coffee. Good luck to you, kid.

As far as Graves, yes, I would have liked to give him a shot, but I still have questions about whether he can skate at this level (even in a competent system that isn't obsessed with skating like AV's). There's still time left this year so we'll see.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Gilmour and Pionk are both pending RFAs, I'm guessing maybe they want to get a look at them at the NHL level to see if they are going to qualify them or offer them something higher than their qualifiers.

Pionk signed a 2 year deal last summer, he still has 1 left on his contract.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Gilmour and Pionk are both pending RFAs, I'm guessing maybe they want to get a look at them at the NHL level to see if they are going to qualify them or offer them something higher than their qualifiers.

Pionk can't be, he just signed last spring.

Pionk signed a 2-year ELC so he has another season to go. Valid point with Gilmour though.

Reactions: Off Sides

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Except he's not.

He's a better hockey player than DeAngelo, Gilmour and Pionk. He should ask for a trade because this team evidently doesn't care to give him a chance. He can play in the NHL, and should've been in our lineup all season.

I think it has more to do with Gorton's preference for defensemen, which we see hasn't been working out too well this season.

A 6'5" 220lb blue line defenseman is super quick and has the agility as a DeAngelo, or Gilmour? Cmon man, it's clear as day when watching him, he's not that.

I have nothing against Graves, and his shot from the blue line is lethal, but management is moving with the rest of the league to stack up and play a fast game which means the defenseman need to be agile, and puck moving.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Pretty amazing turnaround from being an absolute garbage fire last season into an AHL All Star this year earning his first cup of coffee. Good luck to you, kid.

As far as Graves, yes, I would have liked to give him a shot, but I still have questions about whether he can skate at this level (even in a competent system that isn't obsessed with skating like AV's). There's still time left this year so we'll see.

It’s still likely a matter of when and not if we see Graves in the NHL this season.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Except he's not.

None of these guys are quite there yet, but don’t mistake that with them not being good players. I feel that all 4 basically just need to find the comfort level to be able to play regularly in the NHL. Graves, Pionk, TDA and Gilmour, if any of those 4 played for a team with an opening and got 35 games in the NHL I don’t think either would look back and return to the AHL.

But sure, the comfort level isn’t there yet.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Graves is 22 turning 23 in May. Gilmour is 24 turning 25 in May, arbitration eligible after the season.

They need to see something from Gilmour before committing another contract from him. Graves has more time before he has to show anything.

Better to get a look at an asset to expire sooner rather than later.

This makes sense to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->