Player Discussion John Gilmour

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I was a Gilmour fan from his first camp due to the raw tools – but I'm now convinced he's established himself as a 7th D Clendening/Diaz type. It's not just his play last night; he routinely winds up in positions where I find myself scratching my head saying "how they hell did he get there?", and not in a good way. For every play like the OT goal a few weeks back, there are four or five (if not more) where he's way the hell out of position: the other team is breaking back while he's still in the o-zone, or swarming the goal while he's in the corner, or blasting away from the point while he stands in front belatedly looking for someone to cover and half screening our goalie in the process.

He turns 25 two months from today. He's been in the organization two years now. Could he maybe play a regular shift on the third pair of a mediocre team? Sure. And maybe even a change of scenery would kick-start him into being a legit player.

But the whole point of a rebuild is to amass a cupboard full of prospects/young players so that you aren't forced to play the borderline guy and be a mediocre team; you want to be able to keep the cream of the crop and let the others go, thus becoming a good, hopefully great, team. For the last several years we haven't had that luxury due to all the picks/prospects the organization traded away. Now that we're finally doing this the right way, no need to get attached to guys who aren't "getting it" just because they show flashes of exciting tools.

– Pionk is legit.
– ADA hasn't gotten there yet, and I have my doubts he ever will – but he has better tools than Gilmour and is 2 1/2 years younger.
– Gilmour is a guy you move on from to free up a contract slot and bring in another lottery ticket 4-6 years younger as part of the next wave from which you hope to pluck a Pionk.

(I'm trademarking "Pluck a Pionk".) :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
He’s 25 though. I get he’s a rookie but if he can’t play defense now he’s not going to figure it out tomorrow.

I agree Gilmour is a depth AHL call up . Ahead of O Gara Atleast

Pionk and Deangelo have a chance to stick next year

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Kid can skate like the wind but looks like he is still learning the basic responsibilities of the position sometimes

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I’d rather O’Gara than Gilmour. The kid simply cannot play the game. Blazing speed but he cannot play defense. And i agre with the above, he is 25 years old and he is not going to start figuring it out now. He is just painstakingly bad. Cost us another goal against last night. He sucks.

Really gona need Brendan Smith to come back ready next year.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I’d rather O’Gara than Gilmour. The kid simply cannot play the game. Blazing speed but he cannot play defense. And i agre with the above, he is 25 years old and he is not going to start figuring it out now. He is just painstakingly bad. Cost us another goal against last night. He sucks.

Rather what? This doesn't make sense. I never understand when people say "I rather A than B". Very confusing

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

It’s like saying I’d prefer McI over Gilroy more or less.

Reactions: RGY

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Does he need to really spell it out though? Clearly he means he rather have O'Gara in the lineup over Glimour.

See, that doesn't make any sense. O'Gara is not better than Gilmour. I read it as it possibly meaning he would rather send down O'Gara or he would rather keep O'Gara.

Maybe it's just because it's a pet peeve of mine. The incorrect use of the word "rather" annoys me

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Not happy about that OT defensive mistake, but he is young and not experienced. And he scored an OT goal too remember so personally I`m not too upset about it all, besides, we don`t need points end of this season while we try to get into a good draft position.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Holy overreactions, guys. O'Gara made ADA look like crap too, and he is much more talented than Gilmour is. When Gilmour was with Skjei, they were amazing together.

Odds are he isn't more than a 6D, but writing him off because he can't carry O'Gara is crazy.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Really didnt think i needed to explain myslef here.

O’Gara is exponentially closer to be able to playing the position of DEFENSE than Gilmour is. Gilmour is GARBAGE. Stop letting the speed cloud the vision. He is atrocious out there. Also stop making the excuse of “young and inexperienced.” He is 25 YEARS OLD. He is not some 18-20 year old who needs fo polish his defensive game.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Why rightfully so?.

There were posters cursing off Gilmour because he played it wrong in the GDT. Absolutely painful to read posts like that. He’s a damn rookie who is getting thrown into very difficult scenarios at this stage of the season. Rookies make mistakes, especially on defense.
Rightfully so in that we SHOULD be giving him the benefit of the doubt

TheGortonConspiracy

Wow its a nice GM
May 2, 2017
NYC
I’d rather O’Gara than Gilmour.

Came here to say this. Gilmour was an early favorite of the young guns for myself, the kid can certainly skate and shoot the puck at an NHL level. However, there are clearly huge gaps in his defensive game, and for a team severely lacking in shut down defense, that is a major problem. However, I'd be hesitant to say Gilmour is done growing and lacks any capacity - just look at O'Gara and how changed his game appears to be from when we got him. My 2c.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If the Rangers do fire AV and staff Gilmour might be a player I'd think about keeping at least if I had enough contracts. I wonder what he might do in a more controlled and stable defensive system. Right now he's got the riverboat gambler thing going and DeAngelo who is a better player does that too. He takes chances with the idea his skating can get him back in the play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad