Value of: John Gibson WITH RETENTION in the Offseason

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Not right now. Wait for the next season to start because he will care and he will look good yet again.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Picks or bodies?

Ceci Kulak Kane the rights to Foegele

Prospects: Xavier Bourgault was our 1st round pick a couple years ago
We have plenty of NHL bodies, so I guess I’d take a pick or picks. Ceci could maybe be useful if we strike out on all the top RHD UFAs, but he wouldn’t bridge the gap in value between Gibson and Campbell. I’d push for a 2025 1st, but if that’s not an option then maybe a 2nd + Bourgault.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Lukas Dostal has shown that he's capable of at least being a 1B goalie who can take 30-40 starts in a season. This leaves Gibson as a trade candidate to a team that could use a starting goalie. Of course, Gibson has negative value at his full cap hit, but with retention, he would look much more attractive to other teams. Ideally, the Ducks would retain $1-2M, but if it nets the Ducks a quality asset, I would absolutely be willing to go to 50% retention ($3.2M for 3 more years). Gibson does have a 10 team no trade list, however, at this point I believe he would waive to go to just about any team that has a chance at the playoffs. The Ducks should be willing to take back a bad contract in a deal for Gibson, so long as the length of that contract is not longer than Gibson's (3 more years).

I do genuinely believe that Gibson can still be a top 10-15 starting goalie in this league. He just seems checked out with the Ducks at this point, and to be honest, it's hard to blame him. If he joined a more competitive team, I'm sure we would see what he's actually capable of. I totally understand the risk involved with acquiring Gibson, which is why I would be willing to retain so much money and to take back a bad contract.

Would Detroit be interested in Husso+ for Gibson with retention? Would New Jersey be interested if they miss out on Markstrom? Could the Kings squeeze him in with significant retention? Maybe an Elvis for Gibson swap? What other possibilities are out there, or are there any?
At 50% caphit, Gibson still have no value. Duck are better off just seeing that contract through during this rebuild.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
At 50% caphit, Gibson still have no value. Duck are better off just seeing that contract through during this rebuild.
I’m sure there are a number of teams who would agree with that, but I highly doubt every team would agree. There are absolutely teams that would sign Gibson to a 3 year deal with a $3.2M AAV if he were a free agent right now. If Korpisalo got that contract last offseason then anything is possible.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I’m sure there are a number of teams who would agree with that, but I highly doubt every team would agree. There are absolutely teams that would sign Gibson to a 3 year deal with a $3.2M AAV if he were a free agent right now. If Korpisalo got that contract last offseason then anything is possible.
Anything is possible, but getting the equivalence of a 2nd round pick for 50% retention is highly unlikely for Gibson at this stage. Ducks should not be paying to dump players given their rebuild status. They should just play his contract out as of now.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
We have plenty of NHL bodies, so I guess I’d take a pick or picks. Ceci could maybe be useful if we strike out on all the top RHD UFAs, but he wouldn’t bridge the gap in value between Gibson and Campbell. I’d push for a 2025 1st, but if that’s not an option then maybe a 2nd + Bourgault.
I thinj 2nd + Borg + Campbell would do it for us.

You guys get a reclaimation project whos currently the best goalie in the AHL.

We get the higher AAV reclaimation goalie for shorter term (shorter buyout length) higher ceiling.

Last edited:

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
I thinj 2nd + Borg + Campbell would do it for us.

You guys get a reclaimation project whos currently the best goalie in the AHL.

I doubt they want a goalie back, the netminding pipeline is already very good. The main reason to dump Gibson now would be to clear the path for guys like Suchanek, Clara, Clang, etc, not to just plug it up with a different guy who also makes too much money for his performance.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I doubt they want a goalie back, the netminding pipeline is already very good. The main reason to dump Gibson now would be to clear the path for guys like Suchanek, Clara, Clang, etc, not to just plug it up with a different guy who also makes too much money for his performance.
We definitely want a goalie back. Ideally it would be someone like Husso or Georgiev who don’t have much term left, but we aren’t ready to let Clang or Suchanek play regular NHL games.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think he sucks and have been saying it for years, which only just two offseasons ago was very sacrilege to say in here when in the presence of some people. I think he came in the top-10 that year on the goalie rankings polls we do on this forum. Last year I think he was down to 14th or 15th. Maybe this year will have bumped him down to 22nd or even 25th.

The thing I notice with him is yes, the Ducks are a VERY bad team. They sure are. No argument from me.

What I've noticed from him is the Ducks are bad enough that they should probably be giving up 4 goals most games, with just an average goalie, but in the games that should be 4 goals against, Gibson lets in a couple of questionable goals and it turns the game into a 6 goal against blowout instead of just 4.

The other night he was putrid. Even the goals that didn't look bad, he just totally looked lost. Flopping. If he hadn't been posting poor numbers this many years I would say he's just given up and sick and tired of being on one of the worst teams in the league. There's been several games fairly recently where I would have thought it was Chrona from the Sharks if I didn't know any better.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I think he sucks and have been saying it for years, which only just two offseasons ago was very sacrilege to say in here when in the presence of some people. I think he came in the top-10 that year on the goalie rankings polls we do on this forum. Last year I think he was down to 14th or 15th. Maybe this year will have bumped him down to 22nd or even 25th.

The thing I notice with him is yes, the Ducks are a VERY bad team. They sure are. No argument from me.

What I've noticed from him is the Ducks are bad enough that they should probably be giving up 4 goals most games, with just an average goalie, but in the games that should be 4 goals against, Gibson lets in a couple of questionable goals and it turns the game into a 6 goal against blowout instead of just 4.

The other night he was putrid. Even the goals that didn't look bad, he just totally looked lost. Flopping. If he hadn't been posting poor numbers this many years I would say he's just given up and sick and tired of being on one of the worst teams in the league. There's been several games fairly recently where I would have thought it was Chrona from the Sharks if I didn't know any better.
All that you say is largely correct. The question, however, is whether he has lost it or is just tired of playing for a terrible team. If teams think the former then he's going nowhere; if teams think the latter then there could be a taker or two. As fans, we just don't know enough to make definitive statements about why his numbers are so bad or whether he'll rebound with another team.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
All that you say is largely correct. The question, however, is whether he has lost it or is just tired of playing for a terrible team. If teams think the former then he's going nowhere; if teams think the latter then there could be a taker or two. As fans, we just don't know enough to make definitive statements about why his numbers are so bad or whether he'll rebound with another team.
At the very least, I wouldn't expect anyone to give up much value for him if he were to go somewhere else.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Tired of playing for a terrible team?

I think what you meant to say is, lowered save percentage because he plays for a terrible team.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I remember early in the year Ducks fans telling me he was worth a 1st+ unretained. Good times

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The biggest question is - what's the ask? And what's the ask with retention? If we're talking about him bouncing back to be a 15th in the league... well that doesn't hold much value.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I've defended him for a long time but even I'm beginning to feel like his mental game is just cooked.

Change of scenery is a gamble. the guy has just been overloaded in a bad situation for a goalie for so long it's tough to see him mentally sharpening back up. I do think the physical skills are there but he's not getting any younger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad