John Gibbons will not return as Blue Jays' manager in 2019

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
No surprise really. Gibby had a good run with the team but it's time to move on. Wedge would be a good replacement.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
"Bring back John Farrell!" :sarcasm:

I'm interested in seeing who they appoint as the next bench boss...hopefully not another retread. Get someone new in there.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I think Gibby was probably a laid back, good guy and managed personalities well but he was pretty bad when it came to in game decisions. I don't really trust Shatkins to find a good replacement here though.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I think Gibby was probably a laid back, good guy and managed personalities well but he was pretty bad when it came to in game decisions. I don't really trust Shatkins to find a good replacement here though.

The only decision Gibby made the last three months was which end of the dugout to go take a nap in after he handed his lineup card to the umpire. Looked like a guy who knew he was getting fired and decided to do as little as possible until that day came.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Think Vladdy Sr. wants to try his hand at managing?

Imagine the reaction when his kid finally debuts, and his dad is right there to welcome him to the big leagues. :laugh:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
They'll probably choose Wedge who is just a yes man for Shatkins and will do whatever they say.

Such is the sad case of the franchise these days.

The Sun had a good piece on Gibbons firing.

When Dwane Casey was fired as coach of the Raptors, team president Masai Ujiri was front and centre, explaining the firing, taking questions, being in charge. You may not have agreed with his point of view or his delivery, but he made no mistake it was his decision.

When Brendan Shanahan made the difficult decision to push his mentor, Lou Lamoriello, out of office as general manager of the Leafs, he made the call. He was public. He was clear. He was available. He was in charge.

When John Gibbons was essentially fired on Wednesday — nobody officially called it that — where was Mark Shapiro, president of the Blue Jays? He was again being the baseball version of the Invisible Man. The Blue Jays are his team and he is in charge but Shapiro made no comment, no statement, didn’t appear at the press conference, leaving general manager to do his dirty work in letting the popular Gibbons go.

Reactions: Del Preston

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Only the Blue Jays could follow up a dope like John Gibbons with a complete moron like Eric Wedge.

Yeah, really want no part of Wedge. Of those names listed, Clapp and Sandy are the two that intrigue me the most. Clapp has proven his coaching ability in the minors and SAJr has an excellent understanding of the game. McDonald was a fan favourite here but I really have no other information to go off of and to me that shouldn't be the primary reason for bringing a guy in.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Clapp is also blocked from getting promoted due to the recent managerial changes in St. Louis. He'd probably by my choice. Wedge should be thrown in the trash with the Jim Rigglemans and Dusty Bakers of the world.

Theoretically all you'd have to do is offer him the job and it's done.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
No surprise really. Gibby had a good run with the team but it's time to move on. Wedge would be a good replacement.

Having watched him for years in Cleveland, I'd stay far away from Wedge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad