John Davidson on 1050 ESPN radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

SENSible1*

jcab2000 said:
More likely - tons of buyouts.

Yup, teams will have to use up some of their cash to get from under the deadwood. The NHL should provide a period in which these buyouts do not count against any cap #.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
HABSoluteDMB11 said:
How the hell are teams like Philly, Detroit, Colorado.... supposed to get their payrolls to $46m before a season would start this year, assuming a deal is reached? If this is the case there are going to be a few teams in A LOT of trouble.

They've been warned over the past few years, that there was a real possibility that they would be playing under a cap. They chose not to prepare for it and now will pay the consequences whatever they will be.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
From the NHLPA's proposal:

Top 6 payrolls with 24% rollback, number of contracted players in parenthesis:

Philly: 50.0 million (24 players)
Toronto: 46.6 (19)
New Jersey: 46.3 (24)
Detroit: 43.4 (21) -- Datsyuk, Chelios unsigned
Dallas: 40.7 (18)
Colorado: 40.3 (25) -- no Forsberg, Kariya, Selanne

Bottom 6:
Nashville: 19.8 (19)
Chicago: 19.1 (18)
Atlanta: 19.5 (21) -- Heatley and Kovalchuk unsigned
Florida: 14.3 (18) -- Jokinen unsigned
Washington: 13.9 (14)
Pittsburgh: 11.1 (16) -- Lemieux unsigned

DW

May 3, 2003
MN
Visit site
Question to Europrean fans-in regards to when would your leagues finish there season? (Any league in general) I know there are many leagues with varying dates to the end of there season but not the particulars. Couldn't some players with deals that become exclusive (using Kovalchuk, many others I would presume) be available since that league is finished? Giving that a NHL season would more then likely run a few months longer then it normally would, it seems some of these guys could infact play for there respective NHL teams even with these contracts.

I don't know really how this would work but it seems plausible that these players would be free to sign with there respective teams. Wishful thinking?? :dunno:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Thunderstruck said:
It does in the NFL.

It's slightly different in the NFL because players aren't bought out, they're simply released. Since NFL players have non-guarenteed contracts, the future portions of those deals no longer count.

A cap hit does occur in the case of a prorated signing bonus because a player has already been paid that money.

For example, Jeff Garcia signed a 4 year deal last year, let's just say for 16 million dollars with a 4 million dollar signing bonus. Garcia got the 4 million up front, along with base salaries each year of 4 million. But a team can average out the signing bonus over the length of the contract, ie, Garcia's actual cap number would be his base salary + (signing bonus/number of years in contract).

But by releasing Garcia, his bonus becomes prorated into this upcoming season. Ie, the 'remaining' 3 million of his bonus would become dead cap money this year, but the Browns would free themselves of the remaining 3 years/12 mil of his contract.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
NYRangers said:
There will be a 32 mil low point he said. So Detriot will be selling Nashville would buy. He said everyone is informed on this and it will happen before any hockey is played.
Whoa! So is Davidson saying the proposal contained a $32-million floor or is that just his educated guess?

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
Brodeur said:
From the NHLPA's proposal:

Top 6 payrolls with 24% rollback, number of contracted players in parenthesis:

Philly: 50.0 million (24 players)
Toronto: 46.6 (19)
New Jersey: 46.3 (24)
Detroit: 43.4 (21) -- Datsyuk, Chelios unsigned
Dallas: 40.7 (18)
Colorado: 40.3 (25) -- no Forsberg, Kariya, Selanne

Bottom 6:
Nashville: 19.8 (19)
Chicago: 19.1 (18)
Atlanta: 19.5 (21) -- Heatley and Kovalchuk unsigned
Florida: 14.3 (18) -- Jokinen unsigned
Washington: 13.9 (14)
Pittsburgh: 11.1 (16) -- Lemieux unsigned

JD was saying that teams MUST be under the cap by the start of the season, will the same be true with the salary floor. Assuming there is one, there probably will be, you are looking at some teams like Pittsburgh and Washington here who are going to have to put on at least 15 million in payroll in a couple weeks. Looks to me like these teams are going to be stuck signing a lot of the buyouts from the top teams.

It doesn't seem to me that it would be smart to say all teams have to be within _ and _ by the first day of the season. As much as some don't want the big contracts to be grandfathered in, it would hurt the small markets to NOT have grandfathered contracts, because they are going to get stuck adding to their payrolls in the form of cast-offs from other teams. That doesn't make much sense and isn't really good for anyone invloved, not the teams or the tons of players who are going to be switching teams.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
Jaded-Fan said:
What about the idea of a dispersal draft?

How about the NHLPA removes the offer from the table then?

Because if that was to happen the players would not agree to a cap period. Seriously who wants to play in (add small market team here)?

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
nyr7andcounting said:
JD was saying that teams MUST be under the cap by the start of the season, will the same be true with the salary floor. Assuming there is one, there probably will be, you are looking at some teams like Pittsburgh and Washington here who are going to have to put on at least 15 million in payroll in a couple weeks. Looks to me like these teams are going to be stuck signing a lot of the buyouts from the top teams.

It doesn't seem to me that it would be smart to say all teams have to be within _ and _ by the first day of the season. As much as some don't want the big contracts to be grandfathered in, it would hurt the small markets to NOT have grandfathered contracts, because they are going to get stuck adding to their payrolls in the form of cast-offs from other teams. That doesn't make much sense and isn't really good for anyone invloved, not the teams or the tons of players who are going to be switching teams.

There's going to be some REAL good cast offs if they have to be under by the start of a season. That's the way it should be.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
HABSoluteDMB11 said:
How the hell are teams like Philly, Detroit, Colorado.... supposed to get their payrolls to $46m before a season would start this year, assuming a deal is reached? If this is the case there are going to be a few teams in A LOT of trouble.
youre not factoring the 24% decrease on salaries. only a few of teams were over the limits when that was factored in. the bigger deal ios where is the floor? are teams going to have to go on signing spress to get there? boston has some work to do, i would think. all the lower payroll teams would likely have to get up to about 30 mill. i think the first couple of weeks would be amongst the craziest in terms of signing and trading ever seen in any sport. i think after that, deals will be less frequent, especially around deadline time. free agent signings become just as important as trades, and a lot of trades are either flat out salary dumps....or even money deals. everything we consider "value" in trades could be out the door.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
NataSatan666 said:

Because if that was to happen the players would not agree to a cap period. Seriously who wants to play in (add small market team here)?
trolling small market fans in a thread like this is pretty immature - stick to the topic please.

Ol' Dirty Chinaman*

nyr7andcounting said:
NY? Are you crazy? Do you remember last March?

Then put in Toronto or whatever, the teams itself don't matter to the point I'm trying to get across.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
NataSatan666 said:

I will ignore the slight to small market teams and ask, no matter how they get there the small market teams are going to have to take on salary to reach a $32 million floor, big markets are going to have to shed salary to get down to $42 million. What difference the mechanism? Some players used to being on 'golden' teams are going to have to move to small markets, right?

So how does removing the dispersal draft that they have talked of protect say Toronto or Detroit or Phildelphia from having to shed those players? How can teams like the Pens or Columbus get up to $32 million without signing some signifcant players from the Torontos or Detroits or Phildelphias of world? The Pens for instance only have 11 million commited and 7 or 8 slots to fill. That is $21 million on a handful of players or they violate the floor.

Vast Ant Dioi

Jun 16, 2003
Xunantunich
thenewnhl.blogspot.com
Buyouts have to count against the cap. Otherwise rich teams could sign a player, "buy him out", and then resign him. Voila, you're under the cap but you're paying one player lots of money. You could have Demitra effectively for $1 million per year even though he's actually being paid $6 million per year. Sign him for a 3 year, $15 million deal, buy him out at %100, then resign him for $3 years, $3 million.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
NataSatan666 said:

[Insert player name] who wants to get paid.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
buyouts have to count against the cap - you cant spend your way out of your bad decisions, thats the point of this whole thing. if you could buy your way out, the big markets would still have a huge advantage.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
bleedgreen said:
buyouts have to count against the cap - you cant spend your way out of your bad decisions, thats the point of this whole thing. if you could buy your way out, the big markets would still have a huge advantage.

They might make an exception for the start of this season on the proviso that the releasing team doesn't pick up player as UFA. Otherwise I'd agree with buyout counting under normal operation.

Or Philly could trade LeClair and Amonte with enough money to cover ~66% of their salaries to Pittsburgh or Nasville for "future considerations". Then Philly loses their salaries, Pittsburgh gets $11.4m in salary ($15m less 24%). Its not that different an idea from the NHLs forced draft of over priced players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad