John Chyka: my players will not wear a cup

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I've watched him for years now not really sure of what we have while he's shaped our roster.

He's done a nice job of obtaining a certain type of player he believes will succeed in his much repeated "new NHL built on speed". He relies on certain analytics which identify this player. And we have a lot of players on this team as described. Players that are finesse and don't really need to wear a cup to play.

You either luck out and get a McDavid who basically doesn't need to play any type of all around game or you get players who have skill and grit. The McDavid's are clearly very hard to get. Look at Edmonton flounder all those years with high draft picks. They always took the same type of player (all finesse/no need to wear a cup) and did nothing until McDavid and to a lesser extent Lucic (I know he's diminished now but he helped McDavid develop confidence without getting bashed and still does).

My only hope is Chyka starts to see that he cant be this out of balance in developing a winning brand. He should look to Vegas for some wisdom. Big, fast and nasty. Really the antithesis to what the NHL model is supposed to be. And I'm so glad because I like nasty hockey.

He must be tight with Bowman in Chicago because they trade with each other and have a similar losing roster. Chicago won cups because of uber talent. but they are small and fast with a lack of gritty skilled guys. They had to pay big to keep their talent and letting guys like Shaw and Byfuglien has really hurt. Montreal is similar in some ways but they have the ultimate lumberjack in Weber and even their small forwards such as Domi and Gallagher are very feisty players.
We are very far behind with a lot of organizational issues. But Chyka is starting to fail with his one dimensional vision. It's not about money totally either. He needs to identify this in the draft and also pluck guys off of others rosters through trades. It can be done. I'm just starting to really doubt this guy.

Reactions: Lilhoody

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
My only hope is Chyka starts to see that he cant be this out of balance in developing a winning brand. He should look to Vegas for some wisdom. Big, fast and nasty. Really the antithesis to what the NHL model is supposed to be. And I'm so glad because I like nasty hockey..

Sign me up...Vegas plays an exciting in your face type of hockey and it is a pure joy to watch. I love fast, physical teams. Sadly, that is not our team.

Reactions: azcanuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad