John Cena out 6-9 months with shoulder injury

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
According to a report from PW Insider, John Cena has a shoulder injury that will require surgery, which is apparently scheduled for tomorrow. That's why he wasn't on Monday Night Raw this week and why he only cut a promo at the SmackDown taping last night.

What's more, the injury is reportedly significant enough -- possibly a torn rotator cuff -- that he'll need extensive recovery time. That means he's likely going to miss WrestleMania 32, where he was rumored to be working a match against Undertaker.

This would be the first WrestleMania Cena hasn't worked since 2003.

If his injury is similar to Randy Orton's, and that's the early indication, it's roughly a 6-to-9 month recovery time. This is Cena we're talking about, so that may not apply, or at least it hasn't in the past.

Still, his being out means the list of top stars missing WrestleMania 32, a show WWE hopes will be its biggest ever, is far too long for comfort, including Cena, Orton, Seth Rollins, and Cesaro. The good news is The Rock has confirmed he will take part in the show, in some "history making" form, and Brock Lesnar is scheduled back on Raw next week.

http://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/20...jured-unlikely-to-work-wrestlemania-32-report

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Cena hurt

Out 6-9 months according to Alvarez (Rather a friend of mine on facebook says Alvarez says this) It's also on reddit.

Having surgery tomorrow.

Cena confirms himself via twitter.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I saw this come up on Cageside. Incredible how everyone is dropping like flies. At this rate, it's going to be Hunter v. Rock for the title in a 2-hour hell in a cell ironman match.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Holy crap.

Rollins, Orton, Cena, Cesaro... I'll probably missing another name or two. I was actually looking forward to seeing Cena back too (yeah, I said it).

Wrestlemania is so ****ed.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Well then. We're going all in on the next generation now.

Rocket to Bálor.
Feed Lesnar to Owens.
Reigns retires HHH.
Rock puts over Ambrose.
Wyatt gets his win back over 'Taker.
Nakamura vs Styles in a 5 star match.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
You have to do something big. Reigns is now lined up as being the only main event full-timer on the card at Wrestlemania and he's not even ready for his spot. This company better hope to God that Daniel Bryan gets cleared/stop ****ing twiddling their thumbs and bring him back by the Rumble, strap the rocket on Owens and have him main event Wrestlemania, something.

Wrestlemania 32 is lining up to be disastrous from a match quality standpoint.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
My question is... how? Was it non-wrestling related? That would piss Vince off.

No Cena, Rollins, Cesaro, DB, or Orton for WM. YIKES.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Holy crap.

Rollins, Orton, Cena, Cesaro... I'll probably missing another name or two. I was actually looking forward to seeing Cena back too (yeah, I said it).

Wrestlemania is so ****ed.

If you wait a day or two, you might add the name you missed.

WWE is going to be in the unenviable position to push Reigns, while having him in bubble wrap. At this point, they can't risk him getting injured.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Well then. We're going all in on the next generation now.

Rocket to Bálor.
Feed Lesnar to Owens.
Reigns retires HHH.
Rock puts over Ambrose.
Wyatt gets his win back over 'Taker.
Nakamura vs Styles in a 5 star match.

Or the WWE will try their hardest to bring back some fossils. Taker, Sting, Goldberg etc.

Marv4Life

Mar 5, 2006
Minnesota
Rock/Brock is probably the only thing that can save this show. Or convince Austin to have 1 more match and make up with Goldberg. Bryan ain't enough and those other guys are replaceable.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
If you wait a day or two, you might add the name you missed.

WWE is going to be in the unenviable position to push Reigns, while having him in bubble wrap. At this point, they can't risk him getting injured.

Daniel Bryan.

Orton, Bryan, Rollins, Cena, Cesaro. Unbelievable.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Time to strap the rocket to either Balor or one of the incoming talents.

They now have nothing besides Lesnar and Reigns. Rock can't even wrestle because of insurance. In a weird, sick way, this is karma paying back the WWE for relying so heavily on so few for so long.

I wonder if they pull another ace out of their sleeves and bring in someone else that may be available.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Austin's already said recently that he's never coming back to wrestle another match and he's going to leave "well enough" alone. And even before that, he said the stars would have to align, but more importantly, he'd need a lot of time to train for an in-ring return. Three months isn't a lot of time.

Time to strap the rocket to either Balor or one of the incoming talents.

They now have nothing besides Lesnar and Reigns. Rock can't even wrestle because of insurance. In a weird, sick way, this is karma paying back the WWE for relying so heavily on so few for so long.

I wonder if they pull another ace out of their sleeves and bring in someone else that may be available.

Wyatt, Owens and Ambrose are three guys they can strap the rocket to and fans would love it. I wonder if WWE would stretch Ambrose vs. Owens to Wrestlemania if they don't have plans to put Owens vs. Lesnar. How stupid, and bad, would it be if Reigns/HHH was the main event title match? Ugh.

Do you call up Zayn to have a WM match with Owens, or keep him down until the night after WM? Do you hot shot a Balor call up to have a match with The Undertaker, or do you let things happen naturally? Triple H has already said he has no intentions of calling up Balor to fill in for an injury unless they had a good storyline path for him so he wouldn't get lost in the shuffle. Do you have Owens target The Undertaker and pick up a big victory? Put Ambrose against Lesnar?

PWInsider reports that all plans for WM were thrown out the window with this Cena injury, so now even more shuffling is going to happen.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Also have to be wondering how so many guys are getting hurt all at once. A lot of these are shoulder injuries, too.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Austin's already said recently that he's never coming back to wrestle another match and he's going to leave "well enough" alone. And even before that, he said the stars would have to align, but more importantly, he'd need a lot of time to train for an in-ring return. Three months isn't a lot of time.

Wyatt, Owens and Ambrose are three guys they can strap the rocket to and fans would love it. I wonder if WWE would stretch Ambrose vs. Owens to Wrestlemania if they don't have plans to put Owens vs. Lesnar. How stupid, and bad, would it be if Reigns/HHH was the main event title match? Ugh.

Do you call up Zayn to have a WM match with Owens, or keep him down until the night after WM? Do you hot shot a Balor call up to have a match with The Undertaker, or do you let things happen naturally? Triple H has already said he has no intentions of calling up Balor to fill in for an injury unless they had a good storyline path for him so he wouldn't get lost in the shuffle. Do you have Owens target The Undertaker and pick up a big victory? Put Ambrose against Lesnar?

PWInsider reports that all plans for WM were thrown out the window with this Cena injury, so now even more shuffling is going to happen.

Fair points, but they could very well have that magic storyline ticket for Balor shortly. And as much as i like guys like Zayn and Owens, i don't think even their rivalry is enough to put Mania over the top. You're going to need a mix of the young guns for the hardcore fans, and names the casual audience has recognize.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Fair points, but they could very well have that magic storyline ticket for Balor shortly. And as much as i like guys like Zayn and Owens, i don't think even their rivalry is enough to put Mania over the top. You're going to need a mix of the young guns for the hardcore fans, and names the casual audience has recognize.
Yeah, Zayn vs Owens can't be a match this time round. Zayn is a nobody to almost everyone right now. Give it a year and you can have a great match to sell with them. That's why I say Owens of Lesnar now to make it bigger in the future.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Ya Balor Club is basically their saving grace right now. Magic storyline to get Balor up along with other guys.

The amount of missing guys is crazy now though. I also don't see how Baywatch's producer's will be let Rock wrestle with so many injuries going on.

Oct 18, 2011
WWE did this to themselves...they rode cena into the ground and now he's becoming more injury prone, they did it to orton too

i bet all the WM plans are being scrapped again

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad