Sportsnet: John Cassaday Looking to be next MLSE Head Boss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Where are you seeing that he worked for Richard Peddie?

http://www.tsn.ca/source-canadian-tv-exec-approached-by-mlse-to-replace-leiweke-1.117738

John Cassaday, CEO of Toronto based radio and television broadcaster Corus Entertainment, has been approached by MLSE and discussed the position with company officials, a person familiar with the matter confirmed to TSN.

Cassaday, who once worked for former MLSE CEO Richard Peddie, is well known and highly regarded in the Toronto media industry. Besides being CEO of Corus, whose assets include YTV, HBO Canada and Treehouse, Cassaday sits on the boards of Sysco Corp. and Manulife Financial Corp.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Where are you seeing that he worked for Richard Peddie?

He worked for Peddie, and then he hired Peddie's brother when he was at Corus. And he probably got this interview on recommendation from Peddie (this one is just speculation).

This guy seems to be about 5 steps down from Tim L.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Losing big Tim will be a serious blow to MLSE. He was the best hire this company made before yesterday.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Who cares? Build condos and stay away from the hockey team.

This. I want a guy who keeps his nose out of the Sports side of MLSE. We seem to finally be on the right path to a proper rebuild. The last thing we need is some jack ass to come along and spoil everything.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I wouldn't be surprised if we see a return to a setup similar to the later days of Peddie where the Leafs and Raptors presidents report directly to the board and the MLSE CEO handles the rest of the business.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
I wouldn't be surprised if we see a return to a setup similar to the later days of Peddie where the Leafs and Raptors presidents report directly to the board and the MLSE CEO handles the rest of the business.

That would seem reasonable Shanahan and Ujiri report to whoever who is responsible for the rest, all are responsible to the board, easy.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

That would seem reasonable Shanahan and Ujiri report to whoever who is responsible for the rest, all are responsible to the board, easy.

i think that's how it is now - like Shanahan, Ujiri and Ba..Basen..the Soccer guy all talk to the boards themselves. Like, Lieweke doesn't interfere with them at all, I think he just shows up for the Photo-ops. (I don't even remember him at the Babcock presser). he's basically at anything TFC, and he was at the Argos news conference.

Shanahan and Ujiri both sounded very confident that since the board were 100 percent behind what they were doing they believed that they would hire the best person who agreed with everyone. (Board + Sports President).

I honestly think the new CEO is just going to be the guy who makes it so they can continue to print money.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
i think that's how it is now - like Shanahan, Ujiri and Ba..Basen..the Soccer guy all talk to the boards themselves. Like, Lieweke doesn't interfere with them at all, I think he just shows up for the Photo-ops. (I don't even remember him at the Babcock presser). he's basically at anything TFC, and he was at the Argos news conference.

Shanahan and Ujiri both sounded very confident that since the board were 100 percent behind what they were doing they believed that they would hire the best person who agreed with everyone. (Board + Sports President).

I honestly think the new CEO is just going to be the guy who makes it so they can continue to print money.

Yeah, I doubt the soccer guy has nearly the voice the other two do, but it's important to have a good business thingy there so you can throw way too much moolah around towards guys like Babs.

Mike1

Jul 29, 2002
Mississauga,Ontario
Visit site

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Don't think people need to worry at all about someone coming in and spoiling anything being done. The board has signed on to the rebuild and "paradigm" shift that Shanny is preaching. Anyone being hired will be fully aware of this an on board from the get-go.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Here is John Cassaday's profile courtesy of the University of Toronto:

http://alumni.utoronto.ca/portrait/john-cassaday/

john-c-430x250.jpg

Master of Business Administration (MBA) 1981

John Cassaday’s career demonstrates a commitment to strategic agility and innovation. He began his career in sales and marketing at General Foods while pursuing the MBA program at U of T’s Rotman School of Management. Upon completing his MBA (Dean’s List), he was named Senior Vice-President of Campbell Soup and was then appointed President and CEO of Campbell Soup Company, Canada and Campbell Food, U.K.

In 1990, John Cassaday was appointed CEO for CTV Television Network and under his leadership, CTV experienced strong ratings increases driven by audience growth in news and special event programming, including two Olympic Games.

In 1997, Cassaday joined Shaw Communications and in 1998 was appointed founding President and Chief Executive Officer of Corus Entertainment Inc. Beginning with a media portfolio of 11 radio stations and three specialty networks, Corus has evolved into a media powerhouse that includes 24 television networks, 37 radio stations, Nelvana (a global animation studio), Kids Can Press and Toon Boom (an animation software company), becoming one of Canada’s leading entertainment companies.

John Cassaday’s leadership demonstrates an enduring and passionate commitment to building strong companies that contribute to Canada’s cultural and economic success.

In 2010, the Company established its headquarters at Corus Quay and is one of the most technologically advanced media and broadcast centres in the world.

During Cassaday’s tenure, Corus has been recognized with many awards including Canada’s Best Diversity Employers Award, Canada’s Greenest Employers, Canada’s Top Employers for Young People, Greater Toronto’s Top Employers and Canada’s 10 Most Admired Corporate Cultures.

Cassaday has championed numerous charitable causes that contribute to the health and well-being of our communities including Corus Feeds Kids, which focuses on nourishing children’s minds and bodies.

Corus has also supported educational institutions across Canada including establishing the Chair in Women in Management (Ivey School of Business, Western University) and the Chair in Communications Strategy (Rotman School of Management, U of T).

Cassaday serves on the Board of Directors of Manulife Financial, Sysco Corporation and Irving Oil Limited and was Chair of the Dean’s Advisory Board (Rotman School of Management), Toronto’s 1995 United Way Campaign and St. Michael’s Hospital Foundation.

Cassaday is a Member of the Order of Canada and a recipient of the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Medal. He was inducted into the Marketing Hall of Legends and received the Gold Medal from the Association of Canadian Advertisers, the Human Relations Award (Canadian Council of Christians and Jews), the Gold Ribbon Award for Broadcast Excellence (Canadian Association of Broadcasters), the Arbor Award (U of T) and named “Most Distinguished Alumni” by Rotman School of Management.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
According to TSN Senior Correspondent Rick Westhead, other executives approached by MLSE to succeed Tim Leiweke include former Madison Square Garden executive Hank Ratner, NHL executive John Collins, and former CFL Commissioner Mark Cohon.

http://www.tsn.ca/source-canadian-tv-exec-approached-by-mlse-to-replace-leiweke-1.117738

While Cassaday is an experienced Toronto broadcast executive, it's also worth asking whether his skill set lends itself to MLSE, which is shrinking its broadcast business and turning it over to the company's owners, Bell and Rogers.

As previously reported by TSN, other executives approached by MLSE to succeed Leiweke include former Madison Square Garden executive Hank Ratner, NHL executive John Collins and CFL Commissioner Mark Cohon.

Neither Collins nor Cohon are seen as favourites for the job.

Collins has helped to build the NHL's business through savvy marketing and a host of outdoor hockey games, but also was instrumental in awarding the NHL's Canadian TV rights to Rogers Communications. That might complicate his hiring, since Rogers jointly owns MLSE with its competitor Bell Media, which also sought those rights.

Bell is TSN's parent company.

Cohon, meantime, has led the CFL through a period of relative peace, negotiating a larger TV contract with TSN in 2013, but has also been the league's chief executive during a time when the Toronto Argonauts, the country's largest media market, have struggled to grow interest from fans and sponsors alike.

According to Canadian Business magazine, Cassaday's compensation during 2013 was about $4.7 million. Before helping to found Corus, Cassaday was president of CTV Television and the Campbell Soup Co.'s top executive in Canada and the U.K.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I don't want anyone who worked with Peddie. We were supposed to get Scotty Bowman, but Peddie said no...

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
Just stay away from the hockey team pal. Things have been going well lately and the Leafs finally have smart people in charge. Lets leave them alone to run the team, yeah?

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Sometimes you learn what not to do, when you work for an incompetent boss...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad