Player Discussion John Carlson - Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Guess we'll find out if the Norris Trophy is Carlson's in a few hours.

6:30 PM ET start

Jun 15, 2007
Josi wins

Seems a bit unlucky that Green and Carlson lose whenever the voters decide the points aren't everything but then the other years they decide that they are. Oh well, can't say I care too much.

Reactions: max21

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Highly likely that the one writer that left him off their ballot voted for either DeAngelo, Letang or Provorov. That same shit happened to Green as well. That said, Carlson brought it on himself with his largely garbage play from the All-Star break on and, as some have mentioned, he wouldn't actually be one of the first five defensemen anyone would pick to start a team. Helluva year nonetheless and maybe the new staff can take him to that next level.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
This could have been seen from a mile away. Carlson has been absolute trash defensively for a very long stretch. Given that the stretch took place largely in the second half of a season I'm not sure even 100 pts would have saved him from losing.

Reactions: Monsterrain

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Josi wins

Seems a bit unlucky that Green and Carlson lose whenever the voters decide the points aren't everything but then the other years they decide that they are. Oh well, can't say I care too much.
The only recent winners with most pts are Erik and Burns. Otherwise, it's more of a cliche that doesn't have any real basis.

Reactions: 895

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I think it’s just more evidence of how broken this award is. It seems like the writers go through cycles of wanting offensive players then back to traditional defensemen. JC74 has a right to be pissed, this award is just kind of made up as the go along, every other award has pretty obvious indicators year to year.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
If anything maybe this will light a fire for Carlson and the entire organization, the #johnnyfornorris trend was real for a bit. But it probably won’t, go caps

Reactions: tenken00

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I expected 2nd, hopefully it lights a fire if he really cares about it. I’m blown away that some guys even got votes. Letang, Doughty, Chara, etc... really sours the award when people put guys in just because. Dumb

Reactions: Calicaps

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
He pooped the bed down the stretch for Norris Calibre....sucks.

So was that like almost a ticket to the HOF just missed there? Among those eligible, I wonder how many Cup and Norris winners aren’t in the HOF....

Last edited:

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
He pooped the bed down the stretch for Norris Calibre....sucks.

So was that like almost a ticket to the HOF just missed there? Wonder how many Cup and Norris winners aren’t in the HOF....

Hes got a shot again at it next year. He was scoring and playing D in the first half... its just for whatever reason, the whole fricken' team collapsed for the second half. But hes got a real Norris-calibre season in him.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Hes got a shot again at it next year. He was scoring and playing D in the first half... its just for whatever reason, the whole fricken' team collapsed for the second half. But hes got a real Norris-calibre season in him.

Hopefully he gets 3-5 more chances......just wondering if that was close to a shoe in just missed there.

Reactions: tenken00

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Congratulations on Carlson on making his first NHL First All-Star team though!

NHL names 2019-20 All-Star teams

2019-20 NHL First All-Star Team

G: Connor Hellebuyck, Winnipeg Jets
D: John Carlson, Washington Capitals
D: Roman Josi, Nashville Predators
C: Leon Draisaitl, Edmonton Oilers
RW: David Pastrnak, Boston Bruins
LW: Artemi Panarin, New York Rangers

2019-20 NHL Second All-Star Team

G: Tuukka Rask, Boston Bruins
D: Victor Hedman, Tampa Bay Lightning
D: Alex Pietrangelo, St. Louis Blues