Player Discussion John Carlson - Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

OviGreat8

Dec 5, 2019
Bel Air, MD
As for the Norris Trophy it seems if Carlson keeps up this sort of play it is his. The Hart is a much different situation. The award goes to the most valuable player on ones team. Sure Carlson has been that to the Capitals, but you could also say the same thing about Pastrnak/Marchand with the Bruins or Drasaitl/McDavid of the Oilers and what those teams have accomplished. Even Mackinnon is in that picture. So that picture is way more murky.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
As for the Norris Trophy it seems if Carlson keeps up this sort of play it is his. The Hart is a much different situation. The award goes to the most valuable player on ones team. Sure Carlson has been that to the Capitals, but you could also say the same thing about Pastrnak/Marchand with the Bruins or Drasaitl/McDavid of the Oilers and what those teams have accomplished. Even Mackinnon is in that picture. So that picture is way more murky.
While I agree, the very fact that you name 2 players from Boston and Edmonton means no 1 player is the key cog (and for the Bruins, as impressive as that line has been, I'd rate their goalies even higher on the MVP scale). MacKinnon is who I was thinking of.

OviGreat8

Dec 5, 2019
Bel Air, MD
While I agree, the very fact that you name 2 players from Boston and Edmonton means no 1 player is the key cog (and for the Bruins, as impressive as that line has been, I'd rate their goalies even higher on the MVP scale). MacKinnon is who I was thinking of.
The thing is we are not even 30 games into the season so one of those players on the Bruins or even Tuukka Rask could emerge or Mcdavid or Drasaitl could emerge as the MVP. It is way too early to determine determine who the MVP of the team is. That is why I named a few. Even with MacKinnon a player like Rantanen even though he has been injured could emerge as an MVP candidate by seasons end. It is a long way to go.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
The thing is we are not even 30 games into the season so one of those players on the Bruins or even Tuukka Rask could emerge or Mcdavid or Drasaitl could emerge as the MVP. It is way too early to determine determine who the MVP of the team is. That is why I named a few. Even with MacKinnon a player like Rantanen even though he has been injured could emerge as an MVP candidate by seasons end. It is a long way to go.
All true. And FWIW, I'm a major conductor of the Carlson for Hart train.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Carlson is currently 15 pts ahead of #2 in defenseman scoring. I am trying to imagine a guy outscoring the rest of the league by 30pts on a top team and not getting major push for the Hart.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
If Carlson gets over 100 points and leads the team in scoring it should be his.

Would be hilarious if McDavid or Pastrnak wins it and Drasaitl/Marchand are right up there with a virtually indistinguishable stat line. What, did you flip a coin who it would be?

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
This is so cool. Bobby Orr is following Carlson closely and rooting for him.

Carlson on historic scoring pace for Capitals, fires up Hall of Famers

Carlson, who had a career-high 70 points last season (13 goals, 57 assists), doesn't consider himself near the level of Orr, Coffey, who won the Norris three times, or Leetch, a two-time winner.

"They're obviously Hall of Fame players that had really good careers," Carlson said. "It's pretty cool, but I'm not in the same realm as them."

Superstitious, Orr declined a request to talk about Carlson's season. Through his agency, Orr said, "If I could, I'd tell you how proud I am of what he's accomplished so far this season, but I can't because I don't want to jinx him."

Carlson laughed when he heard that. He and Orr talk on the phone or text occasionally and he knows Orr is following him closely.

"He's always trying to angle some way or another," Carlson said. "But I see him a couple times a year and we chat here and there throughout the season."

Leetch, a 2009 Hockey Hall of Fame inductee who works for the Rangers as an adviser, has also been watching Carlson and said he believes Carlson has a good chance to reach 100 points.

"He's got a lot of things that have to happen to go that way with a good team and he plays all the minutes and he's got goal scorers on there and he's getting good looks, too," Leetch said. "It's all working right now, so it's possible, no question about it."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad