Player Discussion John Carlson - Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
Pierre Lebrun seems to think the contract holdups might be about it not being favorable during potential lockouts (lump sum annual payments the day before player checks stop during lockouts). Pay the man Ted...

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
If it were that simple I think it would be done already. It's likely going to be more than that at this point, likely with the OEL contract as a starting point. My guess is he sees what the market will bear and maybe circles back to see if the Caps will match (or come closer).

Certainly I'd be exploring alternatives and other ways of using that cap space potentially either via UFA or trade. The number of impact UFAs whether it's at RD or W is pretty thin, though. They could maybe make a trade for a RD and have cap space left over not just for Wilson, Kempny, DSP and perhaps Beagle but maybe also a top nine wing upgrade and a more legit backup.
#1 d is far more important than anything else on that list. Losing beagle in his prime is worth keeping Carlson in his...

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Someone go bump his last contract signed thread to at least give me a momentary glimmer of hope today.

In my rush to praise GMBM for quickly addressing our cap space issues, do think it has emboldened the agents willingness to ask for more, and lets be reality, for us to afford more.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
A totally fabricated friend of mine who isn't connected the Caps org in any way, told me the delay in signing Carlson is due to his printer being broken. He also mentioned 'purplemonkeydishwasher' so who knows what to believe at this juncture. I only hope someone can fix his printer better than these 3 gents.

tumblr_m1rxu3eHDi1rojlt6o4_400.gif

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Plane F: Tobias Enstrom
I know he was somewhat hurt but I wouldn't expect a great deal from him or for him to be a target. de Haan would make more sense. Maybe John Moore since we're talking lefties. Maybe Cole if Orpik isn't back. Kempny should be retained one would think if Carlson goes. No question Carlson should be a higher priority than being better able to round out the rest of the roster. But if he does and they were to manage to add a cheaper top 4 RHD then there would be room to focus on other lesser priorities.

Brandon Montour is on TSN's trade board and would probably be a better fit than anyone after Karlsson but I have no idea what the cost would be. Probably Vrana.

Reactions: RandyHolt

OVrocks

Dec 9, 2009
LA
People seriously want to bring Green back? He was one of, if not the, worst playoffs performers throughout his Caps tenure. Hell, I’d rather take my chances with a 38 year old Orpik back there than Green come playoff time.

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
Plan B: Erik Karlsson
Plan C: Jacob Trouba/Tyler Myers
Plan D: Mike Green
Plan E: Justin Faulk
Plane F: Tobias Enstrom
Plan G: Utter panic
Plan H: Luke Schenn/Roman Polak

I’m just going straight to G thank you very much.

Reactions: Corby78

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
If things sour and become unfixable they should go all in on Tavares and sign Mike Green. Let Beagle and DSP walk...:D Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Tavares haha...ridiculous.

Realistically, I'd try to work something our for Karlsson only under the stipulation he'd sign long term. I know sign and trade doesn't happen often in the NHL but it's not a impossible thing to pull off and has happened recently.

If that doesn't work, unfortunately Mike Green might be the answer as a stop gap until we can figure out a real plan B.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Yeah I’m hoping they just want to see the market hoping for a little more leverage.
Honestly I think there’s a lot of moving pieces right now. Maybe they’re waiting for Reirden to be finalized. Who knows really? But in the meantime, sure they’re having the conversations, who wouldn’t?

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
Who’s to say JC74 was interested in an extension mid season. Maybe he wanted to see if this team would just flame out again, and if they did he’d be gone for sure.
No one got a contract midseason. That's a problem. Lock up the important pieces.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
No one got a contract midseason. That's a problem. Lock up the important pieces.
Disagree. MacLellan made it clear that this was the make or break season and if they flamed out again, big changes were coming. Why would he shackle himself to new deals in that context? The only high-value UFA was Carlson, and like I said, there’s no reason to think he was eager to re-up.

Last edited:

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
Midseason extensions are relatively rare. For one, teams don't know where the cap will be for the next season. Makes figuring out how much you can offer any particular player a bit difficult. Further complicating budget planning, whether you're in or out of playoff contention, you don't know for sure who on your roster will be on an expiring contract leading to UFA status. You may end up moving or acquiring imminent UFAs before the TDL.

Also, it takes two to contract. Players - especially the better ones - may decide to "bet on themselves" and hope their performance justifies more than what their teams are willing to offer them mid-season. I don't think the fact that a team has a number of UFAs is any kind of a reflection on the performance of their GM or management team.

Reactions: RandyHolt

EHCler

May 9, 2003
Visit site
Come on Carlson knows his market value before today and which teams are interested.
We needed to make the Orpik move before finalizing a deal.

Taken the comments from both sides I expect an agreement before the first of July.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I know he was somewhat hurt but I wouldn't expect a great deal from him or for him to be a target.

Enstrom has also quietly become an excellent shutdown defender. A smaller, lefty version of Matt Niskanen. While I would prefer a righty to replace Carlson, if the high end righty options aren't working out I'd definitely try Enstrom before slumming to many of the guys floating in free agency.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I get memed on HFBoards when I call him a top 6 defenseman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad