Player Discussion John Carlson - Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
They need to resign him. Guy has always been a playoff beast. What he is doing this year isn't an anomaly. Dude is only 28 too.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Carlson has been great in the playoffs, and I'd love to have him on the Leafs. There is the perception that you'll need to make some moves, to fit him, and a full roster in cap wise.

This was posted on Twitter, I have no idea who the guy is, or how reliable they are..... I can't imagine that Washington would do this, but thought I'd ask anyway.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
So trade their best defenseman to make room to sign their second best defenseman. Doesn't make sense to me. Creates a hole to fill a hole.

Suggesting crap like that is probably why he doesn't have a job in the NHL anymore.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Carlson has been great in the playoffs, and I'd love to have him on the Leafs. There is the perception that you'll need to make some moves, to fit him, and a full roster in cap wise.

This was posted on Twitter, I have no idea who the guy is, or how reliable they are..... I can't imagine that Washington would do this, but thought I'd ask anyway.

That is awful for Washington.

Reactions: GoCaps2004

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Yep, hence the reason for my discussion regarding how they can resign him. The Burakovsky path just seems to be the best one to me as it frees up 3 million.

It doesn't free up $3m. You have to subtract the cost of a replacement. If you can find another Connolly type for cheap, losing Burakovsky only nets you about $1.5m in savings. If you promote from the farm, maybe it's $2m. If you're only saving about that much, it's not worth the risk of cutting bait on a player that could still emerge as an impact 2W. He's 23. Wilson took longer to develop in this system.

Carlson's making $4m now, so the cap likely going to $80m completely covers the cost of his raise, likely with room to spare. There's a chance the cap increase covers both Wilson and Carlson.

If that's the case, we can likely stand pat for the most part and not lose anyone that can't be replaced in free agency. At this point, even losing Orpik seems maybe unnecessary. In a perfect world where we wouldn't have to pay to move him and could turn his spot over to Djoos or Kempny, sure. But if we have to pay it may not be worth it. It's just one year.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Out of curiosity has Carlson played much on the left side, and if so how did he look?

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
The reasonable way would be to solve Orpik's dilemma. Orpik blocks younger guys now, including Kempny (financially at least). And even if you sign Kempny there will be not enough slots to use Djoos and Bowey. So spending something on moving Orpik should be a possibility still.

Maybe BO him. I know it's not ideal. But as last resort should be considered. With decent cap raise I'd BO him and sign Kempny than use high pick to trade. If GMBM can trade him with a #3 or #4 sweetener - it becomes almost a no-brainer. Just let Djoos play PK and pray more often :P

Reactions: RandyHolt

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Just moving Orpik, plus the cap increase, pretty much settles all financial issues we have. One would hope it'd happen, even if it's with some retention on him.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Haha, no offer. Just wondering how comfortable he is there.

He's likely an $8m defender on the open market. No one spends that kind of money on a defenseman and then plays him on his off side. The whole point to Carlson is his versatility. Solid in his own zone, blocks shots, physical enough, knows when to jump up offensively, passes and shoots well, mans the PP point, kills penalties...

You don't take a jack-of-all-trades type like that and put him in a different position. Sorry to be dismissive about it, but it's kinda like asking, "Boy that Meryl Streep sure can act. But how would she do if I cast her as a twelve-year-old Latino boy?"

Hrmmm. She'd probably still be good. So yeah, Carlson can probably play the left pretty well.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Carlson almost never plays on the left side of the ice. I imagine he wouldn't look that great on the wrong side of the ice. Only three Caps' Ds are capable of playing: Orlov, Djoos and Jerabek.

He's likely an $8m defender on the open market. No one spends that kind of money on a defenseman and then plays him on his off side. The whole point to Carlson is his versatility. Solid in his own zone, blocks shots, physical enough, knows when to jump up offensively, passes and shoots well, mans the PP point, kills penalties...

You don't take a jack-of-all-trades type like that and put him in a different position. Sorry to be dismissive about it, but it's kinda like asking, "Boy that Meryl Streep sure can act. But how would she do if I cast her as a twelve-year-old Latino boy?"

Hrmmm. She'd probably still be good. So yeah, Carlson can probably play the left pretty well.

I agree if you're paying that much for a defenseman, you should put them in the best position for them to succeed. I was just wondering in terms of options for the Avalanche should they pursue him like was rumored today by Avs media. They're pretty stocked on the right side with EJ and Barrie in the NHL, and Makar and Timmins as prospects with a strong chance of being NHLers.

Thanks for the info. :thumbu:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I agree if you're paying that much for a defenseman, you should put them in the best position for them to succeed. I was just wondering in terms of options for the Avalanche should they pursue him like was rumored today by Avs media. They're pretty stocked on the right side with EJ and Barrie in the NHL, and Makar and Timmins as prospects with a strong chance of being NHLers.

Consistantly the Canadian hockey media has reported that the Caps want to keep him and that Carlson wants to stay. I see no reason to expect that Carlson is changing teams.

badi

Jan 21, 2008
He should be signed long term asap
The guy is a Stud defenseman
Good luck finding that on the market

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Carlson almost never plays on the left side of the ice. I imagine he wouldn't look that great on the wrong side of the ice. Only three Caps' Ds are capable of playing: Orlov, Djoos and Jerabek.
I doubt that is accurate about Orlov, Djoos and Jerabek being the only guys capable. They are the guys we have done it with because we are short in d that play the right side. If we were short left dmen I'm sure Carlson and Niskanen could play the left side if asked. With 2 right dmen and 4 left dmen in the lineup it just isn't going to happen. But I would say they arent capable.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I doubt that is accurate about Orlov, Djoos and Jerabek being the only guys capable. They are the guys we have done it with because we are short in d that play the right side. If we were short left dmen I'm sure Carlson and Niskanen could play the left side if asked. With 2 right dmen and 4 left dmen in the lineup it just isn't going to happen. But I would say they arent capable.

Orlov, Djoos and Jerabek would have a short adjustment period. It would take longer for Carlson and Niskanen.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Orlov, Djoos and Jerabek would have a short adjustment period. It would take longer for Carlson and Niskanen.
Why would it take longer for Carlson and Niskanen? What you said makes no sense. Unless you say it would be easier for them because they have already done it. They have already had an adjustment period.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Why would it take longer for Carlson and Niskanen? What you said makes no sense. Unless you say it would be easier for them because they have already done it. They have already had an adjustment period.

Pretty much all LD play some RD in juniors. Almost no RD play LD because right hand shots are scarce and also right handers are markedly worse on their off side.

Orlov actually started as a left shooting RD, Kempny played that in Chicago before being brought over

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016

If they trade EJ before he's Hatcher tier and sign Carlson they'd come out soooo far ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->