Player Discussion John Carlson - Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empty Goal Net

Tank Brigadier
Feb 13, 2010
TSN (Pierre LeBrun) reporting possibility of a sign-and-trade for Carlson, possibly if he insists on an eighth year. (I'm not sure whether 8 years or the total $ amount would be a bigger deal-killer):

James Duthie: Guys, you’ve been talking about the possibility of a sign and trade for John Tavares if he doesn’t want to return to the Islanders. Pierre, could there be other guys that do the sign and trade? We haven’t seen it in the NHL.

Pierre LeBrun: I would say that whatever remote chance there is of John Tavares doing one it’s certainly a possibility, his camp is examining that. The same would hold true for John Carlson, the number one UFA defenceman on this year’s market. He just happens to be leading all defencemen in scoring, perfect timing.

I think his preference is to re-sign in Washington, I know the Caps are going to make that a number one priority but they have challenges with their salary cap. It’s going to be tough to fit that in because the number keeps growing every day. The only reason there’s a possibility of a sign and trade is if the eighth year matters that much to John Carlson.
I think it is of importance to him and, of course, from Washington’s perspective if they can’t sign him, they get something in return if they give him that eighth year and trade him a trade so that’s something to keep an eye on with John Carlson.

Insider Trading: Gretzky set to grow the game in China - Article - TSN

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
TSN (Pierre LeBrun) reporting possibility of a sign-and-trade for Carlson, possibly if he insists on an eighth year. (I'm not sure whether 8 years or the total $ amount would be a bigger deal-killer):

James Duthie: Guys, you’ve been talking about the possibility of a sign and trade for John Tavares if he doesn’t want to return to the Islanders. Pierre, could there be other guys that do the sign and trade? We haven’t seen it in the NHL.

Pierre LeBrun: I would say that whatever remote chance there is of John Tavares doing one it’s certainly a possibility, his camp is examining that. The same would hold true for John Carlson, the number one UFA defenceman on this year’s market. He just happens to be leading all defencemen in scoring, perfect timing.

I think his preference is to re-sign in Washington, I know the Caps are going to make that a number one priority but they have challenges with their salary cap. It’s going to be tough to fit that in because the number keeps growing every day. The only reason there’s a possibility of a sign and trade is if the eighth year matters that much to John Carlson.
I think it is of importance to him and, of course, from Washington’s perspective if they can’t sign him, they get something in return if they give him that eighth year and trade him a trade so that’s something to keep an eye on with John Carlson.

Insider Trading: Gretzky set to grow the game in China - Article - TSN

Interesting. Sign and trade Carlson. Trade Holtby or Grubauer. Use said assets to acquire Erik Karlsson. Profit.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It’s gonna take a lot more than what JC74 returns. If the Caps can’t fit his number, how do they fit EK when he’s due a contract in a year?

Reactions: ovikovy817

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
It’s gonna take a lot more than what JC74 returns. If the Caps can’t fit his number, how do they fit EK when he’s due a contract in a year?

We have no idea what a signed JC74 returns and we have no idea what Grubauer or Holtby return so it's premature to say they wouldn't have the assets to acquire EK. I'd venture to say a signed JC brings back a 1st+ and Grubauer/Holtby could/will also fetch a 1st. 2 1sts is a pretty good starting point for EK, yeah?

They fit in EK because in another year Orpik isn't on the team any more and neither is his $5.5mm cap hit. And in another year the cap could continue to go up. Or they trade Burakovsky. Fitting EK's cap hit is not a problem.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
This I agree with. Sign Carlson, develop the kids. Maybe trade for another quality D.

Developing the kids is nice and all, but they have no one who projects to replace Carlson. If you’re going to trade for another quality D if you do lose Carlson that’ll cost you in assets and cap dollars as well. Why not try and pay a little more for the best?

Carlson at 8mm or Karlsson at 9-10mm... would rather have the latter.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
They should let Carlson test the market if he wants long-term contract at over 7m AAV.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Carlson at 8mm or Karlsson at 9-10mm... would rather have the latter.

Well, we can sign Carlson for free. And he'll sign for less than 8M most probably. Younger and more skilled player (Kuzy) signed for less, why would Carlson get more? He has his points from Ovechkin island too and knows it.

As for Karlsson, if Eichel goes for 10+ I dont see Karlsson being realistic at 9M. That's fantasy IMO.

So
Carlson (without cost of acquiring) for 7,5M or so
and
Karlsson (costing kings ransom) for 10+

It's not that clear. And no guarantee you will successfully trade for EK in first place. Easy to understand why GMBM is ready to do whatever to sign JC.

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
GMBM will give Carlson the contract he wants because he doesn't want to let him walk for nothing, and there might be no decent free agents on the market to bring in to replace. It sucks because he's not a true #1 D but will get paid as if he is.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
GMBM will give Carlson the contract he wants because he doesn't want to let him walk for nothing, and there might be no decent free agents on the market to bring in to replace. It sucks because he's not a true #1 D but will get paid as if he is.
Incorrect. Karlsson and Doughty both will get north of 10 million AAV as true number 1s. Carlson, who should’ve been a Norris finalist IMO, will get ~$8M as a 1B.

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
Incorrect. Karlsson and Doughty both will get north of 10 million AAV as true number 1s. Carlson, who should’ve been a Norris finalist IMO, will get ~$8M as a 1B.
I think they are next level generational number 1's, probably a bit different. I wouldn't want to pay John Carlson 8m a year. I'd feel uncomfortable going over 7m

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I think they are next level generational number 1's, probably a bit different. I wouldn't want to pay John Carlson 8m a year. I'd feel uncomfortable going over 7m

Leafs are gonna offer JC the moon, bet on it. He immediately becomes their best Dman, Rielly is very over-rated, even more than Carlson. ;)

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I have unpopular opinions that I stand by. Still you have no idea what it will be like if they bring him back.

Well, you aren't the the only one who doesn't want Green back. I wouldn't be shocked given how this organization loves former players over the years. I don't hate the player like you do, but I agree signing him is not the answer and only steals away from youngsters who can contribute for the future.

Go Caps!

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Leafs are gonna offer JC the moon, bet on it. He immediately becomes their best Dman, Rielly is very over-rated, even more than Carlson. ;)

I imagine quite a few teams are, especially with so many teams fighting for playoff qualification and pleasing their fan base.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Will get dicey with resigning Carlson. I know the logical way to go about it is somehow moving Orpik and his contract, but not too optimistic about that occurring.

Caps will also still need to work out a new contract with Tom Wilson who will be a RFA as well as Kempny who'll be a UFA. There's some other RFAs (DSP, Boyd and Bowey) and some UFAs (Beagle and Jerabek) where decisions need to be made. Chiasson should not be back. Grubauer who'll be a RFA should be gone (Buffalo for their second round pick +). I think that it might be a good time to move Burakovsky and his 3 million as well (St. Louis and their first round pick which is actually Winnipegs and currently in the mock draft scenario is listed as #30, would like to also re-obtain Zach Sanford in such a deal). Moving Burakovsky's contract will aid in the resigning of Carlson perhaps. Obtaining the Blues pick plus the Caps pick currently at #25 perhaps as someone suggested could be packaged to move up in the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->