Player Discussion John Carlson - Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Outperforming his contract since he's been here isn't enough I guess. One head injury and the "I told you so" band starts playing. Not liking the term is one thing...attempting to piss on a player who's done everything you want to see from a core team member isn't enough I guess. Some fans have unrealistic expectations.
I'm not one of those guys that says I told you so. I was on the fence about him when we got him. He is definitely an upgrade from Brouwer.
Where are all the numbers guys now? Lol.
All most of you guys care about is stats and you dont notice that his career high in points is 60. His only 30 goal season came last season in large part due to his linemates. He has slightly exceeded expectations I had for him but does that make him worth what we paid for him and on such a long deal. I mean come on, he is 31 years old. He is already slow. What will he be half way through this contract? You guys think he is our savior. Well he isn't.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
We signed a player who does it all, a jack of all trades. Kills penalties, scores goals, is dangerous on the PP, a decent playmaker and very gritty/physical. Yes it's a long term commitment but $5.5M for a guy like Oshie is more than fair.
We signed a player that does it all in theory. He hasnt done it all this year. He is dangerous on the pp? When did that happen. BTW his cap hiut is 5.75m per season which probably isn't terrible if it was a shorter deal. This is not a good deal for us and it could hurt us in the future because if the longevity.
I was waiting for him to start showing his inconsistent play like he did in St Louis. And I was hoping it wouldn't happen. I still hope he gets out of this funk he is in.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
We signed a player that does it all in theory. He hasnt done it all this year. He is dangerous on the pp? When did that happen. BTW his cap hiut is 5.75m per season which probably isn't terrible if it was a shorter deal. This is not a good deal for us and it could hurt us in the future because if the longevity.
I was waiting for him to start showing his inconsistent play like he did in St Louis. And I was hoping it wouldn't happen. I still hope he gets out of this funk he is in.

It's been 20 games of poor play, compared to 180 games of excellence in a Caps uniform.

If you think Oshie isn't one of the most dangerous PP players in the league, I don't know what to tell you bud.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I'm not one of those guys that says I told you so. I was on the fence about him when we got him. He is definitely an upgrade from Brouwer.
Where are all the numbers guys now? Lol.
All most of you guys care about is stats and you dont notice that his career high in points is 60. His only 30 goal season came last season in large part due to his linemates. He has slightly exceeded expectations I had for him but does that make him worth what we paid for him and on such a long deal. I mean come on, he is 31 years old. He is already slow. What will he be half way through this contract? You guys think he is our savior. Well he isn't.

I don’t think the “numbers guys” were the ones in favor of the contract. Quite the opposite actually.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
What do you mean irrelevant? There are plenty of defensemen in the league who can put up points while standing 30 feet away from Ovechkin. It's not some kind of unique skill. Certainly a lot more than 10-12. Carlson is also untouchable on the 1st PP unit.

Carlson is an $8m 1st pair defenseman in the same way that Oshie is a 33 goal scorer. They are on the ice with Ovechkin.

That's why I brought up Faulk. Put Carlson on the Canes' and he is getting 6 million on his next contract. Put Faulk on the Caps and he is getting 8m.

I am always interested to see when Caps fans rip the rep of their own best players by saying they are leaching off Ovechkin. Now we have Carlson.
A. Carlson is tied for 5th in even strength points on defense. Loading up on passing to Ovechkin doesn't fall in that category. Have a look at the top 10 defensemen in even strength points. That is a pricey list.

Faulk btw isn't even the top scoring D on his team. While carrying an impressive -16. You would swap them even up and be good with that?

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I am always interested to see when Caps fans rip the rep of their own best players by saying they are leaching off Ovechkin. Now we have Carlson.
A. Carlson is tied for 5th in even strength points on defense. Loading up on passing to Ovechkin doesn't fall in that category. Have a look at the top 10 defensemen in even strength points. That is a pricey list.

Faulk btw isn't even the top scoring D on his team. While carrying an impressive -16. You would swap them even up and be good with that?

If I could swap Carlson for Faulk right this very second, I wouldn't even blink. Wow, tied for 5th. What was he tied for last season? 25th? 35? Must be his breakout season. Next thing you are going to tell me is that we should sign Oshie to an 8 year deal because he just scored 33 goals.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
If I could swap Carlson for Faulk right this very second, I wouldn't even blink. Wow, tied for 5th. What was he tied for last season? 25th? 35? Must be his breakout season. Next thing you are going to tell me is that we should sign Oshie to an 8 year deal because he just scored 33 goals.

You mean the same John Carlson who has outscored Faulk every year and even in years where he has played less games the Faulk? Seems like a good idea eh?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Carlson is going to get paid but I am not sold it's the right move for us. The cap is going up!!!1! is getting to be a tiresome excuse to retain core that just cannot get it done.

Somehow, I suspect we can still flame out in the 2nd round just fine, with or without him. The Pens laid out a blue print for the modern day defense. Even with their top dog out injured, they won a cup.

I am fairly certain we will retain him but I wonder if he even wants to be here, short of getting his top offer from BMac. Maybe he wants to sign in NJ. Top dollar should shave off some NTC years.

Last edited:

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
You mean the same John Carlson who has outscored Faulk every year and even in years where he has played less games the Faulk? Seems like a good idea eh?

I would bet a good chunk of my very own money that Faulk playing for Caps would outproduce Carlson playing for Canes. That was the whole point of everything I said. The same exact way that Oshie moved up a tier after getting a cushy spot on Caps' #1 PP.

One stupid 8 year long contract is enough.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
I would bet a good chunk of my very own money that Faulk playing for Caps would outproduce Carlson playing for Canes. That was the whole point of everything I said. The same exact way that Oshie moved up a tier after getting a cushy spot on Caps' #1 PP.

One stupid 8 year long contract is enough.

Wel obviously, all he has to do is pass it to ovechkin. But what happens when he isn't on the pp? The past 4 years of -16,-18,-19 and -22 sure looks good right? And that's with him putting up points. You can't blame the goalie every year for that

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Wel obviously, all he has to do is pass it to ovechkin. But what happens when he isn't on the pp? The past 4 years of -16,-18,-19 and -22 sure looks good right? And that's with him putting up points. You can't blame the goalie every year for that

Cam Ward is the worst starting goaltender in the NHL for the past 4 years by both eye test and every possible metric. Miraculously, Canes still managed to downgrade on him this season.

There is really not a scrap of difference between Carlson and Faulk. Good shooters, good puck movers, mediocre in the defensive zone. One is paid 5.5, the other will be asking for 8.

edit: 4.8 not 5.5, if that matters

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I don't even know how Cam Ward is still a starting goaltender. Must be a really nice guy or something.

8 mil is too much for Carlson. He's having a fantastic season but still cant make a proper pass to the left on the PP :shakehead

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
It's been 20 games of poor play, compared to 180 games of excellence in a Caps uniform.

If you think Oshie isn't one of the most dangerous PP players in the league, I don't know what to tell you bud.
I think a lot of his so called excellent play is a product of the line he was playing on. He has failed to reach 60 points in a season for the Caps playing with Ovi and Backstrom and playing on the top pp unit. How is that excellent? It really isn't that impressive. I would say excellent is the wrong word.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I don't even know how Cam Ward is still a starting goaltender. Must be a really nice guy or something.

8 mil is too much for Carlson. He's having a fantastic season but still cant make a proper pass to the left on the PP :shakehead
Darling was supposed to be the starter but has been so bad that Ward got the job back.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Cam Ward is the worst starting goaltender in the NHL for the past 4 years by both eye test and every possible metric. Miraculously, Canes still managed to downgrade on him this season.

There is really not a scrap of difference between Carlson and Faulk. Good shooters, good puck movers, mediocre in the defensive zone. One is paid 5.5, the other will be asking for 8.

edit: 4.8 not 5.5, if that matters
Faulk is overrated. He is only the 3rd best dman on his team.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I think a lot of his so called excellent play is a product of the line he was playing on. He has failed to reach 60 points in a season for the Caps playing with Ovi and Backstrom and playing on the top pp unit. How is that excellent? It really isn't that impressive. I would say excellent is the wrong word.

He was on pace for 40 goals last year. He is the only player in the Ovechkin era Capitals to have a season with a higher GPG average than Ovechkin himself. That to me is excellence.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The same exact way that Oshie moved up a tier after getting a cushy spot on Caps' #1 PP

I never considered the possibility that the only really good player on the Caps pp is 8. Everybody else is just living off of him. Maybe this is actually a good time to blow it up and rebuild with younger players. Those other players are all fairly easy to replace

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I never considered the possibility that the only really good player on the Caps pp is 8. Everybody else is just living off of him. Maybe this is actually a good time to blow it up and rebuild with younger players. Those other players are all fairly easy to replace
Backstrom lead the league in pp points. He has carried the Caps pp for years. Backstrom runs the pp not Ovi. The vshooter never qbs the pp. Backstrom is struggling a bit this year and the pp is struggling too. The success of Backstrom and our pp go hand in hand.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Are you sure you’re in the right forum? Seem to like pissing on our players a lot for a Caps fan. Just sayin.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Backstrom lead the league in pp points. He has carried the Caps pp for years. Backstrom runs the pp not Ovi. The vshooter never qbs the pp. Backstrom is struggling a bit this year and the pp is struggling too. The success of Backstrom and our pp go hand in hand.

the word is sarcasm brah

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Are you sure you’re in the right forum? Seem to like pissing on our players a lot for a Caps fan. Just sayin.

There are good players, bad players and great players. Makes no difference to me if they play for Caps or not. I want to see Caps lift the Stanley Cup. If Carlson is a part of that, fine. If he isn't, I don't really care. I don't want him signed to an 8x8 deal because it will do the team more harm than it will do good.

Don't like it, don't read it.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
There are good players, bad players and great players. Makes no difference to me if they play for Caps or not. I want to see Caps lift the Stanley Cup. If Carlson is a part of that, fine. If he isn't, I don't really care. I don't want him signed to an 8x8 deal because it will do the team more harm than it will do good.

Don't like it, don't read it.

You don’t care who the players are, you just want a Cup.

Unrealistic expectations noted. Surprised you can actually get any joy from watching them NOT hoist the Cup each year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad