Player Discussion John Carlson - Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
As an outsider, I didn't find any discussion on John Carlson (though maybe I've missed it).I'd like to know your thoughts on him.

I think Carlson is a legit #1 defender. He started the year pretty rough but apparently he was banged up in the World Cup according to Trotz. As far as how good of a #1 he is? Hard to say at this point. We've been seeing the good Carlson of late and there were times last year where he look poised to take a run at Norris consideration, however his injury kind of put a stop to any thoughts of that. He was huge in the playoffs last year as well. Even starting this year hurt he's on pace to put up similar numbers as his career year in 14-15. (Last year would have likely surpassed that without an injury).

I think he gets absolutely punished here on the boards, and you're going to get a ton of negative replies about him, but he's really not that bad. He probably plays on most teams top pairing in the NHL.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
He's not a Doughty, Keith #1 guy, but he is a very solid 1B. He relies on a strong partner more than the top guys do, which is the only thing holding him back from 1A status.

He is very important to the success of the Capitals in the playoffs so if he is not healthy they are screwed.

Slateman

Feb 2, 2016
He's not a Doughty, Keith #1 guy, but he is a very solid 1B. He relies on a strong partner more than the top guys do, which is the only thing holding him back from 1A status.

He is very important to the success of the Capitals in the playoffs so if he is not healthy they are screwed.
Pretty much for everyone on the roster. I see no reason to rush him back.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
He's like our Jack Johnson, obvious when he's struggling but does he bring it in the playoffs so we need him.

They should invest a better #7 than Chorney. I figure they already have one in Ness

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I thought Carlson and Alzner would be our top pair of the future. It doesn't look like either can grab that top pair designation conclusively. I wish both would move outside of their comfort zones, or that Barry would push for it. Of the 2, Carlson seems most likely to be a stud #1D that a playoff team needs.

I would like to see more playoff type performances from him in the regular season. I have generally been happy with his playoff performance, however. He's a switch flipper.

Why do people think he has not taken a penalty? Is he injured, trying to not engage to avoid making it worse? Is he saving up Oshie grade aggressive engaging play for the playoffs? Has he simply evolved to be an annual Byng guy?

I would have never guessed Alzner would be the more physical of the 2. The fact he hasn't taken a penalty this year shows he is not taking any risks. I remember a few decades ago, when it was agreed players could take good penalties. Prevent a breakaway on the far blue. Punch a guy that ran your goalie. Slash a guy about to score into an empty net. I am not 100% sold that playing a penalty free style is the key to the cup.

We are going to get calls against us no matter how soft we play.

Last edited:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
He's a legit #1 in the playoffs.

That's all I really care about at this point.

No doubt. He always elevates his play in the playoffs no matter what he looks like in the RS (which is most times like a legit top pairing two way dman)

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
He's a legit #1 in that he's top 15 in the NHL for defenseman. He is not elite.

Very good shot (sometimes great), good passer of the puck (sometimes sneaky good), not overly physical but he won't be pushed around. Not a dummy or a headcase. Makes good decisions. Durable. Decent skater, decent speed. Good on the PP or PK. There are no glaring weaknesses, but no eye-popping attributes either. Just an all around very good player IMO.

Sometimes I wish he would agitate like he did when he first came up.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
What's he worth? Anything under $7 per seems like it might be a steal from a market perspective.

6 years $40.5 mil (6.75 per)? Would turn 35 mid-season his last contract year. That might end up being a steal sadly.

NHL Rankings

Last edited:

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017

Doughty us playing great again. Keith is struggling this year. I've always felt Keith was a bit over hyped. Not saying he isn't good

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
He's a legit #1 in that he's top 15 in the NHL for defenseman. He is not elite.

Very good shot (sometimes great), good passer of the puck (sometimes sneaky good), not overly physical but he won't be pushed around. Not a dummy or a headcase. Makes good decisions. Durable. Decent skater, decent speed. Good on the PP or PK. There are no glaring weaknesses, but no eye-popping attributes either. Just an all around very good player IMO.

Sometimes I wish he would agitate like he did when he first came up.
He us a very good all around dman. I can't think of many guys that can do everything like he does. Maybe Doughty, Hedman, Pietrangelo to name a few. I would rank him as a top 10 dman because he plays in all situations. I too would like him to be a bit more physical.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
What's he worth? Anything under $7 per seems like it might be a steal from a market perspective.

6 years $40.5 mil (6.75 per)? Would turn 35 mid-season his last contract year. That might end up being a steal sadly.

NHL Rankings
You look at that list and you have to shake your head. Some very overpaid guys on that list but then there a few steals as well. Carlson 86th highest paid dman in the league. That is a big time steal. Can't see him signing for anything less than 7.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

NHL Rankings

No reason to take that unless he wants to give the Caps a discount. Someone on the open market would offer him 7x7/8. He's a big, physical, mobile 1RD who can score, play a shutdown role, eat PK minutes, and lead your PP. He gon' get paid. I can think of half a dozen teams that would view Carlson as their missing piece.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
No reason to take that unless he wants to give the Caps a discount. Someone on the open market would offer him 7x7/8. He's a big, physical, mobile 1RD who can score, play a shutdown role, eat PK minutes, and lead your PP. He gon' get paid. I can think of half a dozen teams that would view Carlson as their missing piece.

I did say under $7 was a steal. After Kuzy squeezed every last penny from the Caps, I can’t see why Carlson wouldn’t ask for $7.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad