NBA John Beilein to Cleveland

Sep 19, 2008
Odd that MSU grad owner Dan Gilbert would hire Beilein. He had been courting Izzo for years.

Sep 19, 2008
Sources: Michigan's Beilein to coach Cavaliers
Beilein has run model programs in the college, free of scandal and impropriety. In recent years, he's become increasingly frustrated with the nature of college basketball recruiting and the retention of top players. The impending loss of freshman Ignas Brazdiekis with Charles Matthews and Jordan Poole to the NBA draft dented what might have been a national championship contender.​

Say Hey Kid

Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory
B gets huge retirement fund to lose 50 games a year. Yawn. Constant one and done recruiting and losing players is killing college and it's gonna get worse with none and done.

Last edited:

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I guess the Pistons rumors were true last season.

He is in his mid 60's, has had health problems and is getting a check in the NBA. Can't fault that. Guy didn't want to bend the rules in college either. Which is amazing.

Reactions: Voight

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

He is in his mid 60's, has had health problems and is getting a check in the NBA. Can't fault that. Guy didn't want to bend the rules in college either. Which is amazing.

They weren't rumors, he actually withdrew consideration for the Pistons job so essentially he turned down the Pistons for the....Cavs. That's gotta be pretty embarrassing for Gores.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Odd that MSU grad owner Dan Gilbert would hire Beilein. He had been courting Izzo for years.

Gilbert still always respected Beilein and knows Izzo is probably never going to leave the NCAA (or only will if he gets Popovich-esque power with the team). Gilbert is too hands on for that.

They weren't rumors, he actually withdrew consideration for the Pistons job so essentially he turned down the Pistons for the....Cavs. That's gotta be pretty embarrassing for Gores.

Magic wanted him too but he didnt want to move far away from Michigan, Cavs also have Sexton + lottery pick & a blank canvas for him to help form the team he wants as oppose to cap strapped DET.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008

No offense to Beilein. But unless he was a stop gap or someone who you believe can win a title now, I don't want a 65-66 head coach with health problems and no NBA experience. In addition, as currently constructed, Detroit isn't a fit for his system at all.

Michigan also increased his paycheck after he flirted with the Pistons. Which he apparently regretted as he assumed that was his last NBA shot. As most would.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Magic wanted him too but he didnt want to move far away from Michigan, Cavs also have Sexton + lottery pick & a blank canvas for him to help form the team he wants as oppose to cap strapped DET.

I don't think it's going to end well but I don't blame him for moving on. It's better NBA situation for him personally. Even if it is Cleveland.

Coach LeBron would have canned him already

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
No offense to Beilein. But unless he was a stop gap or someone who you believe can win a title now, I don't want a 65-66 head coach with health problems and no NBA experience. In addition, as currently constructed, Detroit isn't a fit for his system at all.

Michigan also increased his paycheck after he flirted with the Pistons. Which he apparently regretted as he assumed that was his last NBA shot. As most would.

Oh, I agree. I really like Beilein as a coach and feel that his style is tailor made for the NBA today but he's getting up there in years and, as you said, the Pistons don't have the personnel to match his system (Thanks again SVG for sewering the franchise).

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I don't think it's going to end well but I don't blame him for moving on. It's better NBA situation for him personally. Even if it is Cleveland.

Coach LeBron would have canned him already

Like you said, he was tired of the college rules too. While other schools are paying off their players he wanted to be honest, problem with that is you don't get the 5 star guys like that anymore.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I'm not much of an NBA follower, but I love college basketball... so I'll chime in.

Beilein made Michigan a basketball school (don't @ me) despite having one of the proudest football traditions in college sports. He never got the 5* recruits, but he got players that fit his system. His teams were never great on defense until the last few seasons where they were elite. Even though he's way up there in age with no NBA coaching experience, he's a great hire in my opinion for a team that needs to rebuild. He did wonders with an elite college point guard in Trey Burke. I'd be excited to see what he could do with Collin Sexton in the NBA if I were a Cavs fan.

He's usually way too conservative taking players out due to fouls, which I think is a big flaw for him. His teams have had really long offensive droughts as well, especially when they have had big leads.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I'm not much of an NBA follower, but I love college basketball... so I'll chime in.

Beilein made Michigan a basketball school (don't @ me) despite having one of the proudest football traditions in college sports. He never got the 5* recruits, but he got players that fit his system. His teams were never great on defense until the last few seasons where they were elite. Even though he's way up there in age with no NBA coaching experience, he's a great hire in my opinion for a team that needs to rebuild. He did wonders with an elite college point guard in Trey Burke. I'd be excited to see what he could do with Collin Sexton in the NBA if I were a Cavs fan.

He's usually way too conservative taking players out due to fouls, which I think is a big flaw for him. His teams have had really long offensive droughts as well, especially when they have had big leads.

He could have landed a 5 star recruit had he been willing to break the rules and toss a few bribes around like the rest of the upper tier school coaches do. Thats part of the reason he wanted to leave the NCAA, he's tired of recruiting guys who are usually swayed by $$$ not the quality of the school or team.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
He could have landed a 5 star recruit had he been willing to break the rules and toss a few bribes around like the rest of the upper tier school coaches do. Thats part of the reason he wanted to leave the NCAA, he's tired of recruiting guys who are usually swayed by $$$ not the quality of the school or team.

Well, that too.

Still though, even without those super high end recruits, he was still able to make two NC games in what, the last 6 years or something?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Well, that too.

Still though, even without those super high end recruits, he was still able to make two NC games in what, the last 6 years or something?

Which speaks to his coaching, as well as like you said being at a football school and making the basketball program relevant on a national level.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Sounds like he is done in Cleveland.

from espn.com:

Both the Cleveland Cavaliers and John Beilein believe he has coached his final game for the franchise and are working out a financial settlement on the remainder of his contract, league sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski on Tuesday.

The Cavaliers plan to promote J.B. Bickerstaff to full-time head coach once the Beilein separation is finalized -- perhaps as soon as Wednesday, league sources said.

Beilein, 67, signed a five-year contract upon leaving the University of Michigan last May that included four guaranteed years at approximately $18 million.

Beilein has been unable to adjust to a dramatically different world in the NBA. Friends and associates have described him as unhappy -- even miserable -- with the move to the Cavaliers. The losing that comes with a rebuild as well as skirmishes in public and private with players, has played a part in the rapid deterioration, sources said.

Full story: Sources: Beilein, Cavaliers working on settlement

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I'm glad he is getting the hell out of Cleveland. That franchise has been a disaster before and now once again after LeBron.

They'll use him supposedly saying "thugs" as the excuse but that team quit on him long before that. When you're once again one of the worst teams in the league and complaining about practice, you have a problem. And it's not the guy who waltzed into the door five seconds ago who isn't known as a drill sergeant.

People are already speculating his return to college and for good reason. I'm just not sure I see that after possibly(money aside) the biggest reason he left was the college system itself. If he does return I'm thinking maybe a smaller school? Or maybe even high school?

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
lifelong college coaches making the jump to the NBA rarely ever works out it seems

billy donovan and brad stevens are some recent exceptions

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
B gets huge retirement fund to lose 50 games a year. Yawn. Constant one and done recruiting and losing players is killing college and it's gonna get worse with none and done.
I wouldn't mind Colleges telling kids that in order to be eligible for a scholarship, you have to stay at least 2yrs at school. That would weed out the kids who think they are good enough to turn pro without a bigger stage to showcase their talents.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad