TSN: John Bartlett returns to Sportsnet to call Leafs games. Brian Mudryk named replacement

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
He may the worst of our generation. Boring and lifeless. In way he represent this current hockey time. lol

To each his own. I hate Gord Miller's 'over the top' play by play, especially at the WJC. I've tuned in to most of the big ones in my hockey watching days since the late 70's with my dad and uncles, hated some, loved others.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
TSN also broadcasts the Senators and they treat them like they used to treat national games, but just not broadcasting to the whole country. There's no dedicated team of broadcasters or hosts but they bring in who is available. It's often Gord and Ray in the booth and the panel can be there with Duthie and McKenzie etc., but then some games it will be different people depending on who is available. If you miss the old TSN broadcasts when they had the national contract, it's great because it's like they never lost the contract. On the other hand, sometimes you miss having the dedicated broadcast team that travels with the team and knows everything about them.

I don't know if this is what they are going to do with the Habs' games as well, but I guess it's a possibility.

I'm also a fan of Robertson, so if they were going to go that direction, that would be fine too. Hopefully with a colour guy who is just as good.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Can't stand him at all.
My cousin used to be a producer for EA Sports years ago. She was in charge of the voice talent for the NHL game and had a working relationship with Hughson and Craig Simpson. She said that Hughson seemed like a great guy and was a pleasure to work with...until he landed the HNIC gig, which occurred during the time she was working with him. Once he got Bob Cole's job, he became the biggest prima donna a-hole imaginable and horrible to have to work with. Simpson was and is a nice guy. No pretensions whatsoever.

Reactions: Runner77

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
My cousin used to be a producer for EA Sports years ago. She was in charge of the voice talent for the NHL game and had a working relationship with Hughson and Craig Simpson. She said that Hughson seemed like a great guy and was a pleasure to work with...until he landed the HNIC gig, which occurred during the time she was working with him. Once he got Bob Cole's job, he became the biggest prima donna a-hole imaginable and horrible to have to work with. Simpson was and is a nice guy. No pretensions whatsoever.
If I'm having trouble sleeping. I will turn on the HNIC broadcast with Jim Hughson and I'm out like a light in no time, it's not like he doesn't provide value.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
To each his own. I hate Gord Miller's 'over the top' play by play, especially at the WJC. I've tuned in to most of the big ones in my hockey watching days since the late 70's with my dad and uncles, hated some, loved others.
Even back in the 70's I knew I was being spoiled listening to Danny Gallivan. He was always in a class by himself. He was better than Foster Hewitt, a man with the type of irritating voice that, ironically, could never get hired to broadcast anything today if he were around. He coined a lot of the phrases used by all hockey announcers, but aside from the lexicon, his claim to fame is that he was the first. Other than that, he wasn't much fun to listen to. My only true exposure to him was when he did the 72 Summit Series and I found the way he pronounced Yvan Cournoyer's name to be really annoying (Cor-NWHY-yay) His son Bill, who did the Leafs games in the 70's, was equally bad. With him, Rejean Houle's name was one word "Rayjenoole". Both father and son had that nasal, whiny vocal style that, I guess, was popular on radio in the 1930's but which I found hard to listen to.

Aside from them, there was Ted Darling, ex of HNIC, who did the Sabres games on Channel 2 out of Buffalo. He rambled like an auctioneer while doing play-by-play. Then there was Dan Kelly, who had a booming voice. He was right up there with Gallivan but he didn't have Danny's vocabulary (no one did) Jim Robson is a secular god here in BC but back in the 70's you would have had to live on the west coast to hear him much. But he was pretty good and he got to do the 1980 Cup finals between the Isles and Flyers. He called Nystrom's Cup-winning goal in overtime. Back then, Bob Cole mostly did radio (CBC used to air games on radio into the 70's) and got the occasional gig on TV, mostly during the playoffs or when one of the regular guys was off. Kelly's "day job" was calling Blues games on KMOX in St. Louis plus other TV work in the States so he wasn't always available for HNIC.

It's fair to say that lightweights like Gord Miller, Jay Randorf and Jim Hughson would have been hard-pressed to find work in broadcasting back then.

OB5

May 2, 2015
I really didn't like Bartlett. Not a great voice...and totally anticlimactic when it came to big plays. I hope Robertson gets the call up. He's great.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Even back in the 70's I knew I was being spoiled listening to Danny Gallivan. He was always in a class by himself. He was better than Foster Hewitt, a man with the type of irritating voice that, ironically, could never get hired to broadcast anything today if he were around. He coined a lot of the phrases used by all hockey announcers, but aside from the lexicon, his claim to fame is that he was the first. Other than that, he wasn't much fun to listen to. My only true exposure to him was when he did the 72 Summit Series and I found the way he pronounced Yvan Cournoyer's name to be really annoying (Cor-NWHY-yay) His son Bill, who did the Leafs games in the 70's, was equally bad. With him, Rejean Houle's name was one word "Rayjenoole". Both father and son had that nasal, whiny vocal style that, I guess, was popular on radio in the 1930's but which I found hard to listen to.

Aside from them, there was Ted Darling, ex of HNIC, who did the Sabres games on Channel 2 out of Buffalo. He rambled like an auctioneer while doing play-by-play. Then there was Dan Kelly, who had a booming voice. He was right up there with Gallivan but he didn't have Danny's vocabulary (no one did) Jim Robson is a secular god here in BC but back in the 70's you would have had to live on the west coast to hear him much. But he was pretty good and he got to do the 1980 Cup finals between the Isles and Flyers. He called Nystrom's Cup-winning goal in overtime. Back then, Bob Cole mostly did radio (CBC used to air games on radio into the 70's) and got the occasional gig on TV, mostly during the playoffs or when one of the regular guys was off. Kelly's "day job" was calling Blues games on KMOX in St. Louis plus other TV work in the States so he wasn't always available for HNIC.

It's fair to say that lightweights like Gord Miller, Jay Randorf and Jim Hughson would have been hard-pressed to find work in broadcasting back then.

Obviously pbp is a matter of personal taste, but Vancouver fans are nuts over Robson. He was very good, and pure class, but I think they overrate him (as many fan bases do with their regular broadcasters). They think Robson - Hughson - Shorthouse is a great legacy. I rate Shorthouse worse than Hughson, and I would add in that Larsheid and Garrett were absolute plugs on colour.

I was a big fan of Rick Ball who HNIC bumped up the depth chart in the playoffs.

Reactions: Laurentide

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Obviously pbp is a matter of personal taste, but Vancouver fans are nuts over Robson. He was very good, and pure class, but I think they overrate him (as many fan bases do with their regular broadcasters). They think Robson - Hughson - Shorthouse is a great legacy. I rate Shorthouse worse than Hughson, and I would add in that Larsheid and Garrett were absolute plugs on colour.

I was a big fan of Rick Ball who HNIC bumped up the depth chart in the playoffs.
Larsheid was a clown. I always wondered why (aside from being cheapskates) CKNW used Larsheid (an American born, ex-CFL player) to do color not just on the BC Lions broadcasts, which one could figure that he might know something about, but also on the Canucks broadcasts, a sport he knew jack squat about. But Canucks fans loved him because he was such a shameless homer. Once, when criticism of the team was at a fever pitch, Larsheid responded by saying "The thing you have to remember is, these guys are really nice people" as if that had anything to do with the price of tea in China.

I guess he was no different than Bergevin in that he over-valued intangibles. And speaking of over-valuing I agree about Robson. Good, but not nearly as good as what Canucks fans think. He's only really great when you compare him to some of the stiffs who followed him like Shorthouse.

Reactions: Tighthead

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

I liked Rick ball alot when he did the sports radio hosting gig. As a PBP guy, I don't think he's great or bad.

Robson was fantastic. I think everyone holds him up in the highest regard in vancouver, and rightfully so.

I also respect Shorthouse for his neutrality in PBP, which is especially required considering garret is typically his partner.

Larscheid was a football player. Back then, he would do colour for the Lions and the Canucks, but somehow, he stayed at the Canucks gig longer. He was not bad. He represented the fan, and got super excited when they were doing well, but he also blasted the Canucks when he didn't like what was going on. That ultimately led to his dismissal, actually. I can respect guys who speak their mind whether it's in their interest or not.

Hughson was much more enjoyable to listen to back when he was in Vancouver. Unfortunately, I just think he's been in cruise control for several years now. I remember how concerned he used to be not to become that guy with with a catch phrase, but now he just seems too polished. I still don't mind him, but miss the days when he had more exuberance in his call.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

I grew up listening to Robson, great memories. Hughson doesn’t bother me the rest do. Different tastes by fans for sure.

Dirby Kach

Sponsor
Sep 2, 2009
Yikes.
It’s official, habs are getting Bryan Mudryk to do the play by play for regional games.
Talk about bottom of the barrel

Reactions: David Suzuki

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Yikes.
It’s official, habs are getting Bryan Mudryk to do the play by play for regional games.
Talk about bottom of the barrel

TSN must really hate the Habs. Letting Chris Cuthbert and Gord Miller do Sens games and giving us Mudryk is a slap in the face.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Mudryk isn’t bad. I just wish it was Mike Johnson on colour commentary every game. Poulin is f***ing terrible.

Reactions: DaNaultinus

Svart

Live Slow, Die Fat
Jul 5, 2006
Just the sound of hockey would be fine. Do we really need two guys to tell us what's going on while our eyes are watching..

Reactions: Belial

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
From TSN:

TSN's package of Montreal Canadiens games is led by the HABS ON TSN broadcast team of host Tessa Bonhomme, with Pierre LeBrun in studio. Habs broadcasts feature new play-by-play announcer Bryan Mudryk, with contributions from Dave Poulin, Mike Johnson and Craig Button.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Mudryk had humble beginnings and overcame cancer. He comes across as very amiable and professional.

He pronounces his name "Moo-drick."

His journey is retold here:

I couldn't find a clip of him doing play-by-play, so have no idea how good he is at it.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I think it speaks volumes about the talent drain that has occurred in Quebec over the last 4 decades when the Habs have an opening for a play-by-play man and they have to get a guy from Saskatchewan (or in Robertson's case, the Maritimes) to do it because there's no one good enough in Montreal (and yes, I realize that Danny Gallivan was originally from Nova Scotia and that Irvin was technically born in Saskatchewan)

But think about it. The English radio talent in Montreal (in all formats, not just sports) is lower than it's ever been since radio was invented. Think about guys like Gallivan, or Dave Van Horne or Dick Irvin or even Glenn Cole who used to do Habs games on the radio, or Elliot Price or even the disgraced Dino Sisto. For that matter think about George Balkan or Ted Tevan or Terry DiMonte. And now think of who's there now, like Rick Moffatt or Mitch Gallo or Sean Campbell or friggin' Marinaro. What a pathetic bunch of lightweights we're stuck with now. On the Montreal airways today (in English at least) you've got Melnick and.....nothing.

Reactions: Kimota

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
Agreed. I'd go as far to say that Robertson is just a good as Bartlett, so him getting a promotion would please me very much.
Roberson is vastly superior to Bartlett. Bartlett sounds like the saleman for Leon Furniture on the radio and always sounds like his has a ball of phlegm in his throat. He also doesn't handle action very well. On the Habs 20,000th goal....I swear his call was:
"Gionta with the puck...a scramble...beckapackawacka...becak...becka...pecka....SCORES!
Garbage call on a historic goal...and no, I can't find a clip of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad