TSN: John Bartlett returns to Sportsnet to call Leafs games. Brian Mudryk named replacement

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Gord Miller is the biggest blowhard know it all who has ever lived....he is terrible.
I have never been a fan of Gord Miller, he would have been the best colour guy but in my listening ears he sounds like a guy that is trying hard but it is not a natural thing for him. My all time favourites were as follows.
1. Danny Gallivan
2. Bob Cole
3 Chris Cuthbert
After those three it is not even close.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I'm extremely flattered but I'm extremely serious at the same time...Those guys are getting it wrong so often that it's embarrassing...
A good commentator enhances the whole experience, he says what you are thinking, he makes the boring times bearable, he is the what you remember along with the memory of the great games you witnessed. Do you not remember Bob Cole Yelling "Desjardins, Desjardins!!? That is burned in my memory, come on man.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
A good commentator enhances the whole experience, he says what you are thinking, he makes the boring times bearable, he is the what you remember along with the memory of the great games you witnessed. Do you not remember Bob Cole Yelling "Desjardins, Desjardins!!? That is burned in my memory, come on man.

I'm being honest, it's noise for me... NBC,RDS,TVA , I don't care...

When I watch some out of the town teams play they're probably useful sometimes but when I watch the Habs I don't need them...

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
No, I let them talk but I don't really focus on what they're saying... Just like I already said it's just noise... like if I was sitting in that Arena or something...
I could never do that, I even used to subscribe to RDS even though I am not bilingual just because I like the entertainment value in the announcers tone, how he is able to add to the game if you will, maybe I am just weird.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I could never do that, I even used to subscribe to RDS even though I am not bilingual just because I like the entertainment value in the announcers tone, how he is able to add to the game if you will, maybe I am just weird.

But do you agree with what they say?

No, you're clearly not weird, I'm the weird one.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
But do you agree with what they say?

No, you're clearly not weird, I'm the weird one.

Did you agree with them 3+ years ago when they were praising him for a team that consisted of players in the design of other GM’s?

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The stories of Irvin's irascibility are numerous. At the end of the day he's just not a nice person. If you're a colleague it's fine. If he perceives you to be beneath him he will treat you like you're something he discovered on the sole of his shoe.

I have a friend who worked as a parking lot attendant at Alexis Nihon Plaza back in the 70's where Irvin would park his car on his way to the Forum. I also know a guy who worked at the country club on the West Island where Irvin was a member. Both of them have stories about what an a-hole he was. I also have a friend who's mother used to work at the same company as Irvin back in the late 50's before he got into broadcasting. He was really full of himself and never missed an opportunity to pull the "Do you know who my father is?" line. He lorded his reflected celebrity over everyone.

I have only met him once, at an official event for the all star game in Vancouver where he signed my Forum seat. He was pleasant and personable. We talked about the ice storm which had recently occurred and he told me about how long his house was out of power and other bits of small talk. But he was being paid to be there so he was "on". You weren't seeing the real him. I'm sure that had I intercepted him on his way back to his hotel and asked for his autograph he'd have just as likely told me to f-off.

But despite all of this, his voice, along with Danny Gallivan's, was the soundtrack of my young life. And for all his faults as a person when it comes to broadcasting he was just better than anyone out there today.
This was about 12 years ago. I was watching the film, "The Rocket", downtown at the AMC Theatre that used to be the Old Forum. Nice symmetry. I'm trying to watch the film's first scene -- the brawl that ultimately led to the famous Richard Riot-- but there's an old guy sitting right behind me who won't shut up. The movie's going on with Richard punching a ref, the crowd going nuts, coach Dick Irvin yelling from the bench, but the old guy behind me is still talking to his companion. I've had enough. I stand up, turn around to confront him, and come face to face with Dick Irvin Jr. I stare for a second at the face I grew up watching and then bust out laughing. I say, "I can't believe I was just about to give you ****!".

He leans forward, points at the screen and whispers, "I was THERE at that game, with my dad. He wasn't yelling. In fact, I'd never seen him so calm!" He pats my shoulder and smiles, "And now I promise to be quiet!".

After the film, we chatted about grandkids and the West Island and babysitting. I mentioned that my wife had chatted with him at a mall when our twin boys were babies. Not debating your secondhand accounts of Irvin, just adding a different texture.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This was about 12 years ago. I was watching the film, "The Rocket", downtown at the AMC Theatre that used to be the Old Forum. Nice symmetry. I'm trying to watch the film's first scene -- the brawl that ultimately led to the famous Richard Riot-- but there's an old guy sitting right behind me who won't shut up. The movie's going on with Richard punching a ref, the crowd going nuts, coach Dick Irvin yelling from the bench, but the old guy behind me is still talking to his companion. I've had enough. I stand up, turn around to confront him, and come face to face with Dick Irvin Jr. I stare for a second at the face I grew up watching and then bust out laughing. I say, "I can't believe I was just about to give you ****!".

He leans forward, points at the screen and whispers, "I was THERE at that game, with my dad. He wasn't yelling. In fact, I'd never seen him so calm!" He pats my shoulder and smiles, "And now I promise to be quiet!".

After the film, we chatted about grandkids and the West Island and babysitting. I mentioned that my wife had chatted with him at a mall when our twin boys were babies. Not debating your secondhand accounts of Irvin, just adding a different texture.

What a story. "If life were only like this" for all of us ...

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
You say you don't care who calls the games, you don't care who coaches the team, you don't care who coaches the minor league team, you don't care who manages the team, you don't care who is captain, and you don't care who the owner is.

Is there anything you do care about...?
Cherry-picking stats to buttress my arguments??

Reactions: NobleSix

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Howie Meeker, "Jimmy Crickets"
Jimminy is the way he said it. :nod:
310px-Jiminy_Cricket.png

Reactions: sampollock

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I have never been a fan of Gord Miller, he would have been the best colour guy but in my listening ears he sounds like a guy that is trying hard but it is not a natural thing for him. My all time favourites were as follows.
1. Danny Gallivan
2. Bob Cole
3 Chris Cuthbert
After those three it is not even close.

Jim Hughson is great

LeafFan

Jun 20, 2017
He's actually been radio only for years. He didn't do any tv games last season. You may have been mixed up because fans hated Romanuk so much they would sync up his radio calls to TV replays and share those instead.
Forget fans, Leafs own tv network did that when showing highlights such as on their 'Leaf Blueprint' show, and even on commercial bumper clips! Outside of their game in an hour or game in 6, I've heard bowen more than Romanuk on their network.

How sad is that? Your own network would rather use audio from radio guy over TV because TV guy sucks.

TV in the future I hope has a feature to swap audio feeds. Even mute one or more guys within a feed if we choose.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
With this, Paul Romanuk has elected to move on to a new challenge. We consider Romanuk to be one of the top play-by-play announcers in the game and we will miss his contributions to our coverage

Leaves SN

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->