TSN: John Bartlett returns to Sportsnet to call Leafs games. Brian Mudryk named replacement

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I was not a fan of John My Stars Bartlett and his over pronunciation of one players name from every opposing team that played the habs, I liked Dave Poulin though and I hope he stays.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
He was doing games on TV as well last season but I read now that his new contract is only for radio.

Are you sure? Romanuk was doing the SN leaf games, and I don't think he has done work for tsn for many years now. I can't think of any other regional sources.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Could you imagine the awful play by play we will be getting? What if we get Cassie? I'm done if I have to hear her. Done.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I never liked Bartlett but I'm almost convinced it was his color crew I couldn't stand. Gord and Ray are the duo I like best.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I swear they keep having just horribly boring commentators for Habs games on TSN and Sportsnet. I predict a huge upgrade by this guy not doing Habs games. (probably not) If I was running the Habs, I would be trying to have a say who calls my games.

Also for colors, if you have former NHL players, make sure it's former Habs players. I don't care if they are homers, it's better than have guys that have no link whatsoever with the organization, who don't give a hoot about the Habs.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Bob Uecker would be the perfect guy to get this year..
image0010.jpg

We must get him.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
I don't get the hate toward Romanuk. I can remember listening to him calling Oshawa Generals games back in the 80's. He's always had the pipes. If I recall correctly it was Romanuk who did the play-by-play on TSN for the last game at the Forum and he did a fine job of it. We could do worse than him as our regular PBP guy. Would you rather have Dave Randorf full time? I wouldn't.

He's worse the more you hear him. People hate that he mixes up the names a lot, which is kinda grating (although calling the coach Mike Bobcat was pretty amazing). A lot of announcers do this, but he probably does it more than most.

But what's really awful is that multiple times every game the whistle will go and he and Greg Millen (aka Hockey Pat Tabler) will have no idea why. That's not even hyperbole. Multiple times every single game. They'll just be like "the play has been whistled down, I think it might be an offside", meanwhile the ref has had his arm up for 15 seconds and the goalie was already on the bench.

Anyway, just trust me, you don't want it. Just hire Youppi or something, it'll be better.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
He's worse the more you hear him. People hate that he mixes up the names a lot, which is kinda grating (although calling the coach Mike Bobcat was pretty amazing). A lot of announcers do this, but he probably does it more than most.

But what's really awful is that multiple times every game the whistle will go and he and Greg Millen (aka Hockey Pat Tabler) will have no idea why. That's not even hyperbole. Multiple times every single game. They'll just be like "the play has been whistled down, I think it might be an offside", meanwhile the ref has had his arm up for 15 seconds and the goalie was already on the bench.

Anyway, just trust me, you don't want it. Just hire Youppi or something, it'll be better.
Bob Cole does everything you've just described all the time. Half the whistles he doesn't hear and the other half he doesnt know what they were for.

The real problem is that there is no local Montreal broadcasting crew. They're all parachuted in from Toronto on game day and dont pay any attention to them the rest of the time. Even Bartlett and Dan Robertson aren't Monteealers. We haven't had an actual Montreal based broadcaster doing Habs games since Dick Irvin retired.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I was not a fan of John My Stars Bartlett and his over pronunciation of one players name from every opposing team that played the habs, I liked Dave Poulin though and I hope he stays.
Exactly how I feel. The "Oh my stars!!" riff makes me cringe, as if he's about to reminisce about storming the beaches of Normandy.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
They should just play the games with no commentary. Love those moments when they're having technical difficulties and you just hear the crowd and atmosphere.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Along with Danny Gallivang and coach Scotty Bowmang.

Yeah, they should "of" brought back those guys. I saw Dick "Irving" last year at a West Island hotel, he was walking through a corridor adjacent to the room I was in. He was looking a little frail, had a walking stick and was holding on to someone's arm.

"Irving" was pretty scathing in his day. I remember a sportscast he was doing from the Habs's dressing room when they had just won a Cup and there was an individual who was obstructing the camera and "Irving" was none too pleased. So he snapped "who is that mother who is blocking the camera". Only years later did it occur to me that he used the word "mother" as a diminutive.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
They should just play the games with no commentary. Love those moments when they're having technical difficulties and you just hear the crowd and atmosphere.
We're trying to implement the same thing on this board -- no comments, just boos and cheers. And every now and then all the avatars pop up and down in a virtual wave.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

I agree, Romanuk is hard on the ears.. he really has a voice that gives me a headache after a bit. I wish Jim Hughson was around. I've always detested Millen.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Am I the only one who doesn't really care who's calling the games?

It's just noise for me anyways...

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Exactly how I feel. The "Oh my stars!!" riff makes me cringe, as if he's about to reminisce about storming the beaches of Normandy.
I hated when Montreal played Columbus and the over pronunciation of Vennnn Beargueeee over and over again, it was like he stood in the mirror all afternoon and practised that name about 50 times. Dave Poulin called him several times on this and would laugh at his expense on air. I also remember the game where he lost his voice, I think it was against the Ducks, it had our GDT full of laughter. His former colour guy Jason York was also one of the most awkward I have ever listened to.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Damn, I liked Bartlett. That's too bad. Wonder who he gets replaced with. Maybe Dan Robertson from TSN 690?

Robertson is due for a promotion. He's along the same path Bartlett was, when he was broadcasting Hab games on 690.

Robertson has a soothing delivery and melds in with the flow of the game. One of the few play-by-play broadcasters who brings added value to a game.

Reactions: j c petit

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Robertson is due for a promotion. He's along the same path Bartlett was, when he was broadcasting Hab games on 690.

Robertson has a soothing delivery and melds in with the flow of the game. One of the few play-by-play broadcasters who brings added value to a game.
Agreed. I'd go as far to say that Robertson is just a good as Bartlett, so him getting a promotion would please me very much.

Reactions: Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->