Confirmed with Link: Johansson traded to NJD for 2nd and 3rd rd picks in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Did I read in this thread Hornqvist strikes fear in an opponent but Backstrom doesn't at all?

Did I really read that?

Did you? I read a comparison between Mojo and Hornqvist regarding Swedish players who made themselves a "thorn in the side" for the opposition. I also read discussions about the different types of fear, such as fear of being owned with skill vs fear of being pummeled.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Because Richards and Chimera were so terrifying they were gamechangers last year. Just like opposing players were so scared of Beagle he clearly helped the team win games, rather than playing <10mins a game. The only person whose play Orpik seemed to affect this year was Holtby...

The current NHL is more about dogged determination matched with genuine skill and speed. I think losing Johansson and Schmidt in one off season, without adding any speed at all, will hurt us. I think we'll also miss Mojo's skill too - current projections leave almost all our skilled forwards in the top-6, and Vrana and Burakovsky aren't half the players Mojo is as things stand.

Let's hope Kuzy massively steps up his game this year - especially in terms of mental conditioning. If we end up paying $7.8m a year to a 59 point guy going forwards, the team would have little hope. And for the next year at least, if one of Burakovsky or Vrana are no-shows during the regular season you've got to wonder if the team even makes the playoffs without adding a significant piece. Losing the equivalent of 50 goals from your top-6 isn't insignificant at all.

Two years ago some were concerned about losing nearly the same amount of goals. They won the Prez Trophy two years in a row instead.

Will they win it again this year? Probably not. But they still have enough talent and wild-cards to compete. Some guys will have to step up but that's the case nearly every year on most teams.

I'm not that worried about regular season scoring...yet. I'm still more interested in how this ORGANIZATION handles the stink of failure that's worked its way into the brains of all these players, and how they plan to keep it from spreading to the young guys.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
I'm not sure why we traded a guy who gets about 45-50 points per year, is in his prime, is 4.5 million, and got very little for it.

... but we keep a guy who gets about 50 points on a 5.75 million deal until he's 38 and half of his contract will be in his mid thirties?

I love Oshie - and he is a better player than MoJo - but when you compare these... I'm not sure I quite get it.

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
I'm not sure why we traded a guy who gets about 45-50 points per year, is in his prime, is 4.5 million, and got very little for it.

... but we keep a guy who gets about 50 points on a 5.75 million deal until he's 38 and half of his contract will be in his mid thirties?

I love Oshie - and he is a better player than MoJo - but when you compare these... I'm not sure I quite get it.

The 50 point player was on pace for 40 goals last season

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
So what do we think Mojo's stat line will look like next year in NJ?

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I see Johansson around 38-40 points. Had to take into account the Devil Tax that applies to all scoring in New Jersey.

Sad thing is he'll probably challenge for the scoring lead on the team even with a deflated point total. Hall is clearly their best forward when healthy but he always seems to miss time.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Because Richards and Chimera were so terrifying they were gamechangers last year. Just like opposing players were so scared of Beagle he clearly helped the team win games, rather than playing <10mins a game. The only person whose play Orpik seemed to affect this year was Holtby...

The current NHL is more about dogged determination matched with genuine skill and speed. I think losing Johansson and Schmidt in one off season, without adding any speed at all, will hurt us. I think we'll also miss Mojo's skill too - current projections leave almost all our skilled forwards in the top-6, and Vrana and Burakovsky aren't half the players Mojo is as things stand.

Let's hope Kuzy massively steps up his game this year - especially in terms of mental conditioning. If we end up paying $7.8m a year to a 59 point guy going forwards, the team would have little hope. And for the next year at least, if one of Burakovsky or Vrana are no-shows during the regular season you've got to wonder if the team even makes the playoffs without adding a significant piece. Losing the equivalent of 50 goals from your top-6 isn't insignificant at all.

He asked what Caps players over the past 10yrs were considered "hard to play against". I listed that group. I never said they were game changers. RIF.

Far as the rest of your rant...... Ok.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
He asked what Caps players over the past 10yrs were considered "hard to play against". I listed that group. I never said they were game changers. RIF.

Far as the rest of your rant...... Ok.

I wasn't questioning you specifically, but rather the entire mentality. All that matters at the end of the day is if the player hits the back of the net, not whether or not the opposing D fear them.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Not entirely. A team may game plan for a Hornqvist in front, and shut him down. Which then opens up guys like an MJ to sneak in and score. Hockey is very much a team sport. Getting a puck into the back of the net has never been more a team effort than it is now, in the low scoring era.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I am too lazy to read thru the entire thread. I have a quick question from the nyi board.
Any credible rumors that the isles were in the mix, competing with NJ when Johansson was being shopped?

Gotta wonder why the isles with Calgary's first could not outbid NJ. Unless the isles were holding their trade chips for another player.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
I am too lazy to read thru the entire thread. I have a quick question from the nyi board.
Any credible rumors that the isles were in the mix, competing with NJ when Johansson was being shopped?

Gotta wonder why the isles with Calgary's first could not outbid NJ. Unless the isles were holding their trade chips for another player.

Unlikely. We didn't even know he was even going to Devils until it happened. Our gm doesn't do rumors

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Unlikely. We didn't even know he was even going to Devils until it happened. Our gm doesn't do rumors

I appreciate the feedback. I was just curious about whether the isles, needing a 2nd line center, had gotten into the bidding for Johansson.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I appreciate the feedback. I was just curious about whether the isles, needing a 2nd line center, had gotten into the bidding for Johansson.

I don't actually think there were that many teams in the mix, as the Capitals didn't want any salary or even a contract back. If their offer was better than the Devils one, he'd play there now, seeing as Devils are a divisional rival too.

I think the Devils pulled the trigger and propably upped their offer a bit when they realised they had lost out on Shattenkirk.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
If we think its ok to have Eller at C despite his horrendous loffs, the devils can survive with Mojo at C, especially in a tight system. He has the swedish C defensive gene. I long thought his best spot was at C off the boards, and being pass first but the experiment got scrapped. For more experiments.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
If we think its ok to have Eller at C despite his horrendous loffs, the devils can survive with Mojo at C, especially in a tight system. He has the swedish C defensive gene. I long thought his best spot was at C off the boards, and being pass first but the experiment got scrapped. For more experiments.

What? Eller does everything you'd want out of a defensive C, he's just over-priced for a defensive first guy who's note an -elite- defender.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
People expect to much from Eller, he was never supposed to drive the offence for the third line but we made him play with 4th liners like Connolly and Wilson.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
for $4.75MIL in real money (4.25 last)...he should drive some offense. Caps knew he was overpaid when they acquired him. Habs were smart to backload that contract. So much for the last piece or two (Shatt22) of the puzzle.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
What? Eller does everything you'd want out of a defensive C, he's just over-priced for a defensive first guy who's note an -elite- defender.

Those faceoffs - yikes. Was there a worse vet C D-first faceoff guy?

IIRC Barry was forced to alter the normal rolling of lines this past loffs because of it.

I think we expected more offense. So everything except offense and face-offs. 25 points for ~4M... I am just not sure how much we can blame his wingers. Take away the teams 1 in a 100 years monster month at home, and how are his stats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad