Player Discussion Johan Larsson

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
200 minutes out of 500 minutes is 40 %... That's a sufficient sample size considering the context (Larsson's season). It seems you constantly seem to have problems understanding the basics when the discussion is about statistics.

Yeah, I remember being told that I should feel nothing but joy about Larsson, when it was pretty clear that the eye-test showed his problems on defensive side of the game. And it didn't take that long that others noticed it.

You remember who advocated giving Larsson 8 year deal worth of 3,5 millions about a year ago? Or who said that Larsson (a year ago) was already better than Marcus Krüger?

It's definitely me who is wrong about Larsson all the time...

yea, we've got more than last season to consider...

And yes, Larsson is and remains better than Kruger (although the comparable overall is fair).

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Evander Kane spiked GA for everyone he played with.

Guess who was primarily with Larry over the stretch cited?

Learn the nuances of the stats you use.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

yea, Kane is terrible defensively. His 2 month goal scoring tear changed the narrative on him more than any player in recent memory.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
yea, Kane is terrible defensively. His 2 month goal scoring tear changed the narrative on him more than any player in recent memory.

Yep. I'm not sure why some people think Kane is good defensively. Is it because he plays on the PK? (bottom ranked PK). Kane is the biggest offender on the team of a forward not supporting the defense. As soon as it looks like we might get the puck, he leaves his defensemen out to dry and rushes out of the defensive zone hoping for some sort of breakaway.

Last edited:

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013

Kane's impact definitely isn't good GA considered. But the difference in absolute minutes between the first phase of Larsson's season and the second in terms of playing time with Kane is whopping 10 minutes. Even in relative terms that difference is irrelevant.

And despite Kane being a negative impact, for some reason he hasn't been able to have that drastic impact on anyone else.

I know you got a narrative to defense, because you were the one who advocated using Larsson as a top shutdown guy, but to blame Kane on Larsson's terrible last half of his season in terms of defensive play is just silly.

Johan Larsson was a 60% GF player while leading the team in ESTOI and QoC for a good chunk of the season.

But nah, he's only good on the fourth line.

From start of the season to November 28th Larsson's GF% was 45,5, and it was the exact same from November 29th to the end of his season. I would really like you to be more specific of this "good chunk".

In a cup winning team his role shouldn't be more than a d-zone emphasized defensive fourth line center. That isn't a role to laugh by any means. To use him as a top shutdown guy (like you have been advocating), will get us pretty much nowhere unless he significantly improves.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
Like I have said almost a year from now, I think Larsson can be a useful 4th liner, but if Bylsma is actually thinking to deploy him like he did this past season, I'm going to vomit (not because of Larsson himself, but because it means we're not going to improve).

Larsson did an okay job in a tough spot when Eichel was injured. But when Eichel came back, Larsson's defensive game pretty much totally collapsed even in an easier spot. Eye-test suggested that, but that was when the stats catched this up.

From when Eichel returned 28th November to Larsson's last game his GF and GA numbers were:

GF: 2.89
GA: 3.47

His GF number was actually really good, but especially in the long term it really doesn't matter because Larsson isn't an offense driver and offense isn't his bread and butter. But his GA number was really bad - like Deslauriers and Ennis bad.

That GA number definitely isn't the truth about Larsson's defensive game, but thinking that he would be our top shutdown center next season makes me feel just like when I saw Mike Weber penciled to the 3rd pairing about a year ago on this forum.

FOLKS, Larsson is bad

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
All I know is that Larsson is a bottom 6 forward. He isn't a Sami Pahlsson or Jere Lehtinen. Just another blue collar Buffalonion fan favorite. If Larsson is one of your teams best 6-7 forwards I feel sorry for that team. On a good team Larsson is firmly in the bottom 6 playing 13-14 mins a game at most. This is the fan base that was clamoring for signing Dale Weise to 4/16 this past summer so....

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
All I know is that Larsson is a bottom 6 forward. He isn't a Sami Pahlsson or Jere Lehtinen. Just another blue collar Buffalonion fan favorite. If Larsson is one of your teams best 6-7 forwards I feel sorry for that team. On a good team Larsson is firmly in the bottom 6 playing 13-14 mins a game at most. This is the fan base that was clamoring for signing Dale Weise to 4/16 this past summer so....

Did I miss where Larson was in the top six this year.

davej0122

Jan 24, 2008
San Diego
Building a roster, Larry is not someone in the top6. Generally I see the bottom 6 as:

3rd line - Maybe one veteran leader along side two promising young players.

4th Line - Checking line

I dont think Larry fits a 3rd line role, he is not a quality veteran nor a promising young player.

However, I gladly take him in a 4th line center role, that can play 3rd line minutes when necessary, like injuries, etc.

schpaff

Sep 4, 2005

What about Evander?...do tell.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
He's looks like a guy who's totally accepted his role, and has been very effective at it.

I predict he'll be back next year. He's in his early prime, fits in with the Swedish mob, and plays tough minutes for us.

Love Larsson this year, along with the entire 4th line.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
While he has been good, if we can find someone with more offensive upside to his role I will take that over Larsson at 4C

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I'm hoping that Asplund can develop nicely into a strong 3C center.

Looking at something like this next year and beyond:

Eichel and Mittelstadt get the heavy offensive zone starts at center while Asplund and Larsson take more defensive zone starts.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
How is he looking so far?
Do you expect him back in buffalo next year?
He and the rest of what is nominally our fourth line have been excellent in their role. Individually he has bounced back from looking useless last season. By virtue of this, I would keep him pencilled in. He's not irreplaceable, given his lack of speed and offensive ability, but he's good playing on a heavy forechecking, cycling fourth line.

Reactions: ZZamboni

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He's looks like a guy who's totally accepted his role, and has been very effective at it.

I predict he'll be back next year. He's in his early prime, fits in with the Swedish mob, and plays tough minutes for us.

Love Larsson this year, along with the entire 4th line.

He's doing the same job the WC Swedish team had him doing - PKing, checking detail in D-zone heavy deployment. He was effective at it there, glad to see him translate that into success here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad