Confirmed with Link: Johan Larsson signs. 1 year deal worth $1.55M

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
He was recovering from that wicked elbow and wrist injury two years ago. I recall the Max Domi injury being described as an 18 month full recovery and Larsson had additional injury to deal with. It's possible his arm wasn't right.

Yep, the time it took him to fully recover was quite large, and in my head I was convinced that his injuries were career altering. As a result I was all aboard the fire him into the sun crowd...

That being said he looked terrific last year. My only complaint is a minor one, I think he could be paired with better complimentary players to optimize our lineup. I'm by no means a Girgs hater, but I think back to two scenarios:
2014-15 - Larsson was paired with Ennis & Moulson and had a GF/60 of 2.97 and a GF% of 80
2015-17 - Larsson was paired with Foligno & Gionta and had a 2.46 GF/60 and a GF% of 56.8

I think with the right compliments, he can not only shut down the opposition, but heavily tilt the ice with results on the scoreboard. I don't think Girgs moves the needle enough in the physicality or scoring department enough. Not trying to derail this thread into a Girgs discussion, more just thinking that Larsson's rep among fans would improve and not be so heavily impacted by recency bias if he's fully healthy and surrounded with the right complimentary players.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Housley and Botterill should get credit for his turnaround. Constant losing sucks the life out of players. There has be trust that good things will happen if they put in the work. I think that's where Krueger will make a big difference.
Poor season forced Sabres' Johan Larsson to change - Buffalo Hockey Beat

Krueger is by all accounts fantastic at motivation, and he's the perfect person for a lot of these guys who have been around awhile and beaten down from losing to get a fresh start. That might be his biggest value.

I'll say it again - I won't be shocked if Larsson ends up developing some chemistry with one or two Swedes higher up in the lineup in preseason and they decide to roll with it for a while if it's working.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Krueger is by all accounts fantastic at motivation, and he's the perfect person for a lot of these guys who have been around awhile and beaten down from losing to get a fresh start. That might be his biggest value.

I'll say it again - I won't be shocked if Larsson ends up developing some chemistry with one or two Swedes higher up in the lineup in preseason and they decide to roll with it for a while if it's working.

Admittedly I had never considered a Johansson-Larsson-Olofsson combination. That could be a sneaky good line combo

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Yep, the time it took him to fully recover was quite large, and in my head I was convinced that his injuries were career altering. As a result I was all aboard the fire him into the sun crowd...

That being said he looked terrific last year. My only complaint is a minor one, I think he could be paired with better complimentary players to optimize our lineup. I'm by no means a Girgs hater, but I think back to two scenarios:
2014-15 - Larsson was paired with Ennis & Moulson and had a GF/60 of 2.97 and a GF% of 80
2015-17 - Larsson was paired with Foligno & Gionta and had a 2.46 GF/60 and a GF% of 56.8

I think with the right compliments, he can not only shut down the opposition, but heavily tilt the ice with results on the scoreboard. I don't think Girgs moves the needle enough in the physicality or scoring department enough. Not trying to derail this thread into a Girgs discussion, more just thinking that Larsson's rep among fans would improve and not be so heavily impacted by recency bias if he's fully healthy and surrounded with the right complimentary players.

I agree entirely but Im still stapling Girgs and Larsson together and finding that one missing piece. Erod or Smith might add the offensive punch needed to make a competent line. Unless we come out of left field and add a 2c and defensively competent 4c we cant disperse Larsson outside of his crazy defensive shut down role.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Admittedly I had never considered a Johansson-Larsson-Olofsson combination. That could be a sneaky good line combo
Wow. Hadn't considered that either, but looking back at how good Zemgus, Larry and Berglund looked together for a stint, replacing Berglund with Johansson could be awesome. That could be just a terrific puck-covering line. And with Johansson likely having more offence in him, and hopefully not so extremely defensive usage, that line would probably produce some secondary (or tertiary) scoring. It all comes down to chemistry and usage off course.

I like that we're starting to see more options in our roster now. We've got some players who can play different positions and different roles. I really hope Krueger explores his options and finds ways to adjust his team according to what is needed for the moment.

Reactions: Mitts888

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
He's on a one year deal then an ufa. If he blooms into Pahlsson, some other team will get that player.

It's possible his game blossoms under Kruger and he improves on a sound defensive game. It's never too late, but I agree, it's almost time to get someone like Asplund up for his role long term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad