Confirmed with Link: Johan Larsson signs. 1 year deal worth $1.55M

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
Not bad; very serviceable bottom 6 player, could not find a better role player for that amount of $

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
It's continuously amazing how many 'fans' simply don't seem to see/understand the quality/value of defensive hockey. Stopping goals has value, and is probably undervalued.

Is what sometimes boils down to zero effect hockey fun and exciting? Not really. Is it valuable? Absolutely, especially when it feel like the most of the bottom/middle six of this team are actively dragging anchors around with them.

The only issue with this signing is that it's only 1 year and takes him to UFA. Larsson and Girgs seem like they could have been good options for longer (2-4 year) terms at team friendly cap.

Just think, Sobotka will be guaranteed to make more then both of them combined next year. Vald f***ing Sobotka, the literal worst player in the league last year. Good job cap genius.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
It's continuously amazing how many 'fans' simply don't seem to see/understand the quality/value of defensive hockey. Stopping goals has value, and is probably undervalued.

Stopping goals are undervalued to teams too. When you have players like Larsson and Girgensons making what they do while doing much of the hard work (close to 85% defensive zone starts last season).

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I'd argue Larsson is the best defensive forward on the team, I'm totally okay with keeping him around even if it means he won't score more than 5 goals this season. He has a job and does it pretty damn well.

He does indeed. It's just very hard to convince a section of the fanbase of that.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
He does indeed. It's just very hard to convince a section of the fanbase of that.
I think a part of that is 2 seasons ago. I was ready to move on from him, but am happy with the way he bounced back. I just hope he keeps it up.

upload_2019-7-15_10-49-51.png

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
People forget he had a bad rough stretch before bouncing back. People also forget players go through rough stretches when writing off current players. It’s funny.
Right, which is a reason I don't love "last year's" RAPM chart being used as the definitive player valuation tool like it seems to be at times

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I think a part of that is 2 seasons ago. I was ready to move on from him, but am happy with the way he bounced back. I just hope he keeps it up.

View attachment 244773

I really think it was less of a bounce back, and more personally, larsson just accepting his role.

There was a time he fancied himself as a scorer, without showing the acumen, and I do think that bothered people.

Last year, he was deployed exclusively as a pker, and as our primary shutdown line, and excelled.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I really think it was less of a bounce back, and more personally, larsson just accepting his role.

There was a time he fancied himself as a scorer, without showing the acumen, and I do think that bothered people.

Last year, he was deployed exclusively as a pker, and as our primary shutdown line, and excelled.

He was recovering from that wicked elbow and wrist injury two years ago. I recall the Max Domi injury being described as an 18 month full recovery and Larsson had additional injury to deal with. It's possible his arm wasn't right.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Right, which is a reason I don't love "last year's" RAPM chart being used as the definitive player valuation tool like it seems to be at times

Looking at him over time, 2 seasons ago seems much more the outlier to how he plays and it may be that the arm was still on the mend. Using his charts from either of the seasons prior showed a fairly average NHLer, then a bit of an above average NHLer, then the crater that was the first Phil season.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Perhaps they should have? :dunno:

Without knowing what it would take, it is hard to tell.

I'm fine with paying a useful 4th liner <$2M per. But, if he wanted more than that, I am more than happy to let him play out the year on his QO.

In 20-21, the top 4 centers could be Eichel, Cozens, Mitts, and Asplund. Depending on how the development of the three behind Eichel go, that could be a decent set of 4 Cs.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Looking at him over time, 2 seasons ago seems much more the outlier to how he plays and it may be that the arm was still on the mend. Using his charts from either of the seasons prior showed a fairly average NHLer, then a bit of an above average NHLer, then the crater that was the first Phil season.
There's no doubt it was an outlier. I wasn't sure at the time but his bounce back last season showed it was one rather than a decline.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
There's no doubt it was an outlier. I wasn't sure at the time but his bounce back last season showed it was one rather than a decline.

He seems to be good at getting the puck up the ice, but not entry under control. We know he and Girgensons know how to work a conventional cycle in the offensive zone and both are solid PKers.

Biron had a comment a few days back, that players like this on winning teams are often pointed out for the key defensive plays - blocking a shot on the PK, getting a puck deep for a cycle late in a close game, shutting down their opposite number. But on losing teams, they're often singled out for not being enough to overcome the shortcomings of others in the lineup. That seems to be classic WNY right now.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

View attachment 244773

Housley and Botterill should get credit for his turnaround. Constant losing sucks the life out of players. There has be trust that good things will happen if they put in the work. I think that's where Krueger will make a big difference.
Poor season forced Sabres' Johan Larsson to change - Buffalo Hockey Beat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->