Johan Franzén

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadoz19

May 21, 2004
Just curious what people think of him. He's not technically a prospect (he's 24 will be 25 in Dec), but he hasn't played in the NHL and was just taken in the draft this year. The Wings selected him at the end of the thrid round and management believe that he will immediately get a roster spot as a 3rd or 4th line grinder. Did the Wings goof by taking him in the thrid round? Could they have takin him later?

Reilly311

shadoz19 said:
Just curious what people think of him. He's not technically a prospect (he's 24 will be 25 in Dec), but he hasn't played in the NHL and was just taken in the draft this year. The Wings selected him at the end of the thrid round and management believe that he will immediately get a roster spot as a 3rd or 4th line grinder. Did the Wings goof by taking him in the thrid round? Could they have takin him later?

They probably could have gotten him in the later round. The only reason I think they got him was mainly for his size and ability to step right in and play if they needed him. :dunno:

They got McGrath in the 4th round though. :D

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
All in all, I think they did alright in those two rounds. The Red Wings know their stuff, and yes, they certainly can make mistakes, but I can't help but feel that they felt they had a need for a player right now that their system could not fill and made the necessary move to try to fill it.

ginnungagap

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
Yep, hindsight's always 20/20. Sure it would have been nice if Detroit would have nabbed the other blue chipper who nobody wanted on draft day and has subsequently turned it around- Wes O'Neill, to go along with Evan McGrath in the 3rd and 4th rounds. There's a good chance Franzen would have still been available in the 5th but that's just not the way the draft works. If Franzen plays even a bit role in the NHL he's a good pick in the 3rd round and I'd rather have McGrath than O'Neill- so it's too early to get too excited but I think the Wings had a very good draft, outstanding when you factor in they didn't pick until almost the 100th choice.

wassup77

Nov 15, 2004
Sweden
Franzén is great. He made the gamewinning goal for Linköping in the SEL some day ago when the Wings GM was watching the game :handclap:

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
Ken Holland has also expressed himself in Swedish media, saying that Franzén will be the next Swede in the Red Wings. He also said that Johan is perfect in the role as a checker. IMO, not a bad pick by Detroit at all. Johan could probably step in as a checking line center in Detroit as soon as the lock-out is over.

shadoz19

May 21, 2004
pavel datsyuk said:
agreed. I think he can step in as Detroit's 3rd/4th line center. I also hear he's physical and one of the best defensive centers in sweden right now.

Thats what I heard too. I guess I just thought they took him very early in the draft. I thought they might have been able to get him later, but by no means can you be upset with their draft. I think Boomhower had similar thoughts right after the draft.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
shadoz19 said:
Thats what I heard too. I guess I just thought they took him very early in the draft. I thought they might have been able to get him later, but by no means can you be upset with their draft. I think Boomhower had similar thoughts right after the draft.

i wasn't exactly happy that they took him early, although i have a feeling that they didn't think that he'd be there by the time their next pick came around.

X-SHARKIE

With Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Kronwall, Hudler, Fischer ect. ect. The Wings are silently building up a nice core of guys in the early 20's. I never seen Franzen but looking at his numbers and his limited scouting reports...It sounds like the Wings pulled off a good one there. I would say he's worth a 3rd round pick if you get a checking line forward, who is NHL ready at age 24.

Reilly311

X-SHARKIE said:
With Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Kronwall, Hudler, Fischer ect. ect. The Wings are silently building up a nice core of guys in the early 20's. I never seen Franzen but looking at his numbers and his limited scouting reports...It sounds like the Wings pulled off a good one there. I would say he's worth a 3rd round pick if you get a checking line forward, who is NHL ready at age 24.

Datsyuk is 26

edit: meaning that once the NHL resumes, he'll be in his late 20's :)

wassup77

Nov 15, 2004
Sweden

yeah, its pretty good because all the rest of them is like the late 40's =)

raidered

Feb 4, 2004
Franzen might be a good fill in for the next 3 or 4 years until Oulahen is ready to fill this role for the next 10 years or so.

shadoz19

May 21, 2004
raidered said:
Franzen might be a good fill in for the next 3 or 4 years until Oulahen is ready to fill this role for the next 10 years or so.

24 doesn't make him an old fart. :p:

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Every team has wasted picks on overage Europeans hoping they can step right in...for Anaheim there have been Rohnqvist and Parssinen.

It's hit or miss either Franzen will look good in his first year in Detroit or he won't and his NHL career will end.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
I'd like to compare Franzéns chances with Magnus Arvedson, who also was a late bloomer that came out of the lower tier leagues. He did a few good SEL season and then stepped right into the NHL. Franzén could very well do the same and he's actually younger than Arvedson was.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
McDonald19 said:
Every team has wasted picks on overage Europeans hoping they can step right in...for Anaheim there have been Rohnqvist and Parssinen.

It's hit or miss either Franzen will look good in his first year in Detroit or he won't and his NHL career will end.

several players just dont like the rough going as well. I remember Max Shushinski was play for the wild, and was doing pretty good for them. Didn't like the rough play and went home. I think it depends on the size and style of game the player plays.

Drafting a 5'10" scoring machine who plays as rough as a feather isn't a good pick.

Not saying either of those two Anaheim choices were like that, in fact i thought Parssinen would have a decent career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->