Joffrey Lupul ~ This decades Gary Roberts?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Lately I've been thinking that Lupul has an effect on the team similar to the effect that Roberts had on our team a decade ago.

Obviously Roberts played more of a power forward role, but the timeliness of Lupul's goals, his ability to grab the team by its throat and seemingly force a victory when its needed is very similar.

Roberts also was the perfect alternate Captain for Mats. Where as Mats was mild mannered (publicly at least) Roberts was very in your face. Dion and Lupul are very different personalities, which both influence the team in major ways. A guy like Lupul is the perfect A for Dion, IMO.

In the playoffs Roberts was an absolute warrior. He single handedly terrorized the whole city of Ottawa in multiple playoff series. Im of the mind Lupul can have a similar effect in the playoffs.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Let's just hope we have him for the playoffs. He looked like Sami Kapanen at the bench last night.

Derrty

Cat
Apr 24, 2012
Gary Roberts invented the hamburger by throwing a cow at a chain link fence.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Not sure I see too many comparisons especially since we don't know what Joffrey is capable of in the playoffs. Roberts was one of my favorite players to ever play for this team and if Lupes can be that kind of leader and clutch performer, hey, I'm all for it. One thing both guys have in common however is the fact that both guys had major,major injuries that threatened their careers and both have been able to come back and perform well.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Comsidering my old fav player was Gary Roberts and my new Fav playerf is Lupul and that I like a certain quality of person. I see it! not Gary but next best thing for sure

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
While Lupul will never be confused with Roberts as a player in style, he certainly deserves recognition by taking the team on his shoulders and carrying them much like Roberts did in the past.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I don't remember Roberts getting injured every other game. lol

PugFugly

Sep 30, 2008
Not sure I see too many comparisons especially since we don't know what Joffrey is capable of in the playoffs. Roberts was one of my favorite players to ever play for this team and if Lupes can be that kind of leader and clutch performer, hey, I'm all for it. One thing both guys have in common however is the fact that both guys had major,major injuries that threatened their careers and both have been able to come back and perform well.

You're right -- We have no idea. :sarcasm: ;)

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Gary Roberts was a monster player with us, he carried the team against the NY Isles and Ottawa during one of our better playoff runs when Sundin was down.

I don't see the resemblance in player in Lupul, but as a positive effect on the team, I can see the resemblance in effects they have on our team.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
I have mentioned this a few times in the past as well. Lupul is not a premier scorer, not a premier passer, doesn't rack up the points on a consistent basis to garner the fear from the opposition. However, putting him with someone who can draw that attention on the ice opens him up to putting up some good numbers.

Roberts was the guy I followed most in the early 2000's. The only hockey jersey I own is a Roberts jersey. I loved Mats, thought he was a certain Hall of Famer, had no question he was the on ice leader, best and most skilled player. Roberts had that one other thing that only Tucker had on that team. He would skate through barbed wire to make a hit and create a turnover.

I think that if Lupul can end his career imitating Roberts, then he can hang his head high an puff up his chest. Somehow, I see that comparison closer and closer to being proper.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
I have mentioned this a few times in the past as well. Lupul is not a premier scorer, not a premier passer, doesn't rack up the points on a consistent basis to garner the fear from the opposition. However, putting him with someone who can draw that attention on the ice opens him up to putting up some good numbers.

Roberts was the guy I followed most in the early 2000's. The only hockey jersey I own is a Roberts jersey. I loved Mats, thought he was a certain Hall of Famer, had no question he was the on ice leader, best and most skilled player. Roberts had that one other thing that only Tucker had on that team. He would skate through barbed wire to make a hit and create a turnover.

I think that if Lupul can end his career imitating Roberts, then he can hang his head high an puff up his chest. Somehow, I see that comparison closer and closer to being proper.

Excuse me? He's done nothing but that since joining the Leafs(figure of speech, he's done a lot more obviously).

Saul Goodman

Attorney at law
Dec 12, 2009
Toronto
not even maybe.

lupul has been great when healthy and arguably our most consistent player, but lets not get carried away here.

Phatic

Aug 2, 2011

did you even bother to check his stat line before making this comment? i only ask because he's over a PPG with us over the last two seasons.

edit: thought i should elaborate after doing some math: lupul, based on projected numbers, would have ~ 29g 51pts in the 37 games the leafs have played thus far. in other words, he'd be 2nd to crosby in pt production. if you could kindly define premier for me now that would be appreciated?

Last edited:

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
You're right -- We have no idea. :sarcasm: ;)

But we don't have Dustin Penner :sarcasm: No but seriously, I completely agree with the comparison with Gary Roberts in terms of leadership. Lupul is a warrior and is a keeper regardless of injuries. He brings grit, scoring, and leadership to the team that we haven't had since we last made the playoffs pre-lockout 04-05.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad