Joffrey Lupul & James van Riemsdyk, proving others wrong

leach11

Jul 4, 2012
I made a Kessel vs Lupul poll on the main board in case anyone is interested in voting or voicing their opinion as to who is better/more valuable.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
There's no reason why, health permitting, that both of them can't hit 30 goals this season. As the HNIC crew pointed out this weekend, Lupul's goal scoring form over the past 20ish games is remarkable.

What's great about the pair of them, is that they don't play together.

If you can spread out the offensive, and have a Kessel-JvR + Lupul-?? (Kadri? Bolland? Raymond??) duo going on two separate lines, that's huge; especially for a line matching coach like Carlyle.

There's no better way to get the match ups you want, than by being able to spread your eggs into different baskets and throw two dangerous lines at another team.

Tyler Biggs*

What was Philly thinking getting rid of this guy, JVR was arguably their best young player in the entire organization, he was the future of the Flyers, now he's the future of the Leafs.

Burke stole this trade! He got one of the elite power forwards for a dman that just couldn't live up to his potential. Thank you Burke! With respect to Luke Schenn, that was arguably as lopsided a trade as Burke has ever made. That includes the Lupul and Phaneuf trades, as well. Not only is JVR an elite talent, he also appears to be a nice kid.

At first, I was unsure of the Schenn/JVR trade. Now, I'm more than glad Burke pulled the trigger on this deal.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
What was Philly thinking getting rid of this guy, JVR was arguably their best young player in the entire organization, he was the future of the Flyers, now he's the future of the Leafs.

Burke stole this trade! He got one of the elite power forwards for a dman that just couldn't live up to his potential. Thank you Burke! With respect to Luke Schenn, that was arguably as lopsided a trade as Burke has ever made. That includes the Lupul and Phaneuf trades, as well. Not only is JVR an elite talent, he also appears to be a nice kid.

At first, I was unsure of the Schenn/JVR trade. Now, I'm more than glad Burke pulled the trigger on this deal.

Simmonds.. Voracek.. Giroux?

He didn't fit and he was constantly injured. They added by subtraction.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Lupul IMO has already proven everyone wrong, including his current coach, oddly enough. With JVR, it's only a matter of time before he pots 35-40 goals. I don't think the assists will be there though.

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
At the time of the trade I couldn't believe we managed to get an asset like JVR for Luke Schenn. I still can't believe that trade. Man Burke made some gem trades.

SteveV*

Lupul IMO has already proven everyone wrong, including his current coach, oddly enough. With JVR, it's only a matter of time before he pots 35-40 goals. I don't think the assists will be there though.

It is something, the only reason we have Lupul is because Carlyle thought he was finished.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
I don't know how much longer we can consider Lupul "proving people wrong".

I mean the guy was an all-star 2 years ago, and if it wasn't for the broken arm he would have been an allstar during the shortened season as well.

The guy is a top forward in the NHL, he should be in consideration for team Canada, if he's healthy, and produces like he has the last 2 years... he'll be in the conversation in december.

And JVR, what can I say, the guy has taken this trade and embraced it. He's really becoming a top flight guy, deserving of a 2nd overall selection. Reminds me of James Neal... was an up and coming guy who was teetering on good and very good... traded to Pitt and now he's a stud.

With the heart and drive Lupul puts out there every shift mixed with his talent, he can be top 5 in the league in all the scoring categories. He reminds me of St. Louis.

Lupul is very capable of being in the top 5 in league scoring. PPG player no question.
JvR with the right linemates and team chemistry he has perennial PPG potential in him. We are starting to really see that out of him now.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
Lupul
66 games, 25 goals, 67 points (31 goals, 83 points)
16 games, 11 goals, 18 points (56 goals, 92 points)
6 games, 5 goals, 8 points (68 goals, 109 ponts)

Over last two seasons
22 games, 16 goals, 26 points (59 goals, 96 points)
Over last three seasons
88 games, 41 goals, 93 points (38 goals, 87 points)

I think Lupul can be a consistent 30+ goal 70+ point guy.

bringthecuphome

May 5, 2010
Our top nine could be the best in the NHL when everyone is healthy. Might as well add in the fourth line and make it our whole forward group.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
JVR has PPG in him when he breaks out he is going to be huge, it's starting right now.

Agreed. He's pretty much an untouchable right now, at least until we find out what we have in him. He was great last season, but has made huge strides since then. His burst of speed, wicked hand-eye, filthy hands, starting to play more physical on a consistent basis and with the reduction of the net frames, he'll have a little more room in his office. As long as he maintains his drive, he'll be one of the biggest steals @ $4.25 for the next 5 seasons.

For Lupul, I just hope he can stay healthy. Clarkson's return will not increase his production all that much. Bodie is a great fit to the line and is fairly similar to what Clarkson would bring in hockey skill sense (though he def needs some sessions w/ Barb). Clarkson is tougher, both in scraps and along the boards. He's also a prime agitator, which should give Kadri confidence to keep playing on the edge.

I see Kadri's play elevate more from the return of Clarkson than Lupul's. I do however see Clarkson becoming the net front presence (Bodie doesn't really do this), which should reduce some wear and tear on Lupul.

Tyler Biggs*

The JVR Schenn trade looked to be just about even last year. One may have been able to argue the Leafs had the slight edge. However, this season, it's a no brainer. The Leafs got the better of the deal.

Tyler Biggs*

Joffrey Lupul

Leaf fan or not...you can't help but admire the determination of Joffrey Lupul. He makes everyone around him better. He completely focused himself when he came back from his lengthy rehab. He is quietly turning into a superstar.

What a steal...Lupul and Gardiner for Beauchemin...highway robbery....

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Leaf fan or not...you can't help but admire the determination of Joffrey Lupul. He makes everyone around him better. He completely focused himself when he came back from his lengthy rehab. He is quietly turning into a superstar.

I would do the trade every day of the week but man Beauchemin would be a HUGE piece to our team would take him back in a second. A lot of people propose Gardiner for Giradri or Lupul for Girardi well Beauchemin is currently better

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Man oh man Lupul is fantastic. Besides the goal last night, those couple of crazy rushes in the dying minutes last night were flat out awesome.

Tyler Biggs*

JVR continues to put in a solid bid for Team USA. Minus the first 25 minutes, the Leafs put in a much better effort last night.

Carlyle has done a fantastic job of rebuilding JVRs game over the last 2 seasons--a game which had been pretty much left to rot in Philly under Peter Laviolette. Funny, now Flyers fans are mad at Holmgren for trading him, while before he was pretty much boo'd out of town. It's been great to watch this project unfold. We don't really see this kind of coaching in the NHL anymore...certainly not in Philly!

JVR and Kessel = the real deal.

Last edited by a moderator:

ShLou Foot

6-8-5-13
Jul 3, 2011
crusoed

And he's brought a veteran maturity to group that is one of the youngest teams in the league.

Beauchemin, was the D-man who went down on JvR's apple for Kess' 3rd...

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
Simmonds.. Voracek.. Giroux?

He didn't fit and he was constantly injured. They added by subtraction.

They added by subtraction? Are you joking?

Is this the same team that's nearly last in the league, has no top 6 left winger, is playing Luke Schenn 15 minutes a night on the bottom pair, and saved barely any cap space for the trouble?

Quite the addition there.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
They added by subtraction? Are you joking?

Is this the same team that's nearly last in the league, has no top 6 left winger, is playing Luke Schenn 15 minutes a night on the bottom pair, and saved barely any cap space for the trouble?

Quite the addition there.

I don't think people outside of this board look at the end result of a trade after 9 games.

They may have sold him for cheap but they needed a defender. Schenn played very well last year, but let's just take his TOI for him this year cause that makes the trade look better for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->