Joffrey Lupul & James van Riemsdyk, proving others wrong

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
LOL. My wife thought so too until we acquired Bernier.

Your wife has got great taste. Lupul's got those mesmerizing eyes but I think Bernier runs away with the title of best looking. Not to expose myself as some school girl but Bernier has got that demeanor and smile that I think most girls would fall for. I now know of girls who previously would only watch the hockey games and that's about it. Now they're going to the Leafs site to watch post game, game day, locker room, etc. videos of Bernier :laugh:

JVR does not have the playmaking ability of Lupul.

Yes he does. He's continually growing as a player. You see JVR getting better in that area while Lupul is pretty consistent. You can't discount the fact that JVR is also 6 years younger than Lupul. It's a bit unfair to say that JVR doesn't have that ability. Overall, I do think Antropovsky as a point about JVR being the best overall forward on the team. Even if you want to give the edge to Lupul in playmaking (which I do think Lupul is a good playmaker), I think JVR is the more versatile scorer. Both guys are good at tipping the puck in front of the net but how often do you see Lupul control the puck on his stick in tight and with little room in front of the net? He can score on a point shot, on a tip, he can put it through his leg, flip it up high in tight and he's mastering that wraparound goal.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Your wife has got great taste. Lupul's got those mesmerizing eyes but I think Bernier runs away with the title of best looking. Not to expose myself as some school girl but Bernier has got that demeanor and smile that I think most girls would fall for. I now know of girls who previously would only watch the hockey games and that's about it. Now they're going to the Leafs site to watch post game, game day, locker room, etc. videos of Bernier :laugh:

Yes he does. He's continually growing as a player. You see JVR getting better in that area while Lupul is pretty consistent. You can't discount the fact that JVR is also 6 years younger than Lupul. It's a bit unfair to say that JVR doesn't have that ability. Overall, I do think Antropovsky as a point about JVR being the best overall forward on the team. Even if you want to give the edge to Lupul in playmaking (which I do think Lupul is a good playmaker), I think JVR is the more versatile scorer. Both guys are good at tipping the puck in front of the net but how often do you see Lupul control the puck on his stick in tight and with little room in front of the net? He can score on a point shot, on a tip, he can put it through his leg, flip it up high in tight and he's mastering that wraparound goal.
My daughter was a little annoyed with the people she works with. Three of players came in to visit with the kids there. Most of the staff asked for photos and autographs, my daughter was thinking, the players came to see the kids sheesh.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

:nod: it's his smile. he's pretty.

boy you can tell there's no hockey until tuesday (sigh)

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Alright borderline puck bunny site talk going on in here.

yQ9uDzN.jpg

If Lupul can stay healthy, I'd love to see him pot 30. What was the statistic? 23 goals in the last 32 games or something?

Tyler Biggs*

What a finish! Lupul is a beast!

Nazem Kadri and Lupul have great chemistry going on. Ever since that Ottawa game last season where these two were dismantling the Sens defense, they have been making blind passes to each other.

ShLou Foot

6-8-5-13
Jul 3, 2011
crusoed
Pronger didn't carry them, it was a lot of guys that played great, Richards, Giroux, Timonen and the depth guys were great. The problem with that trade more than anything was Holmgren not understanding the CBA. He didn't think it would count as an over 35 contract and he was wrong. When you look at the numbers it's obvious Pronger's intent was to retire before the end of it but now that he's injured they are stuck with the cap hit when he isn't on LTIR.

I think he may be talking about Pronger when he was in Edmonton...He carried that team to the finals.

EdBelfour20

Jan 19, 2004
with the right trade we can have Sundin-lite on the team to compliment our already stacked forward group. :) now, who that player is i'm not sure but we still need him. we are a #1 C and/or #2 Dman away from contending.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Who says JVR can't make plays? He's more than capable with passing, his assignment is to go the front of the net and bang in rebounds, he's very good at that (what else is new :laugh:) but if we actually had a big strong center who could alternate that role with him I'm sure we could see his passing talent come out.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Lupul

105 GP 48 G 58 A 106 PTS

Kessel

184 GP 79 G 106 A 185 PTS
Lupul is awesome. I don't see why people have to keep comparing him to Kessel, just watch them both play and he's pretty clearly not as good, but who cares? Lupul is still an absolutely excellent forward, even though he's not as elite as Kessel.

As for JVR, love his steady improvement. So much talent, and he's really starting to use it properly. Sometimes he gets a bit too fancy, trying to dangle in situations when he should be making power moves, but he's still a solid 1st line winger who's only getting better. An absolute steal getting him for Luke Schenn, who is big and strong but just not that effective at either end of the ice.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Lupul is awesome. I don't see why people have to keep comparing him to Kessel, just watch them both play and he's pretty clearly not as good, but who cares? Lupul is still an absolutely excellent forward, even though he's not as elite as Kessel.

As for JVR, love his steady improvement. So much talent, and he's really starting to use it properly. Sometimes he gets a bit too fancy, trying to dangle in situations when he should be making power moves, but he's still a solid 1st line winger who's only getting better. An absolute steal getting him for Luke Schenn, who is big and strong but just not that effective at either end of the ice.

If you're referring to me, I wasn't comparing them at all, just showing how long they've both been PPG players. At some point in time, people just have to accept they're talented players.

Mr Scarface*

with the right trade we can have Sundin-lite on the team to compliment our already stacked forward group. :) now, who that player is i'm not sure but we still need him. we are a #1 C and/or #2 Dman away from contending.
Hey EdBelfour20, is Mats Sundin thinking or planning about a comeback? If so, link please? Would be pretty pretty pretty damn interesting to see that.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
I wouldn't say Lupul and JVR are proving anyone wrong, if anything they haven't proven a thing. We all know Lupe's is a ppg player with Kessel on his arm but he has YET to show he can play a full season for the Leafs, he still needs to prove that. JVR runs torrid hot and ice cold, he's the type of guy who'll get you 10 goals in 10 games and then he'll go another 10 without a point, no doubt he's skilled but I question is his drive and passion though, 5 goals in 6 games proves nothing to me, sorry.

Azura

Nov 16, 2007

Oh JB really does run away with it. I think he's just gorgeous! I don't think my boyfriend minds, too much... ;) I kind of gave up on the Leafs but changed my mind once they got Bernier. Been a fan of his for years.

hackamore

Jul 8, 2011
What a finish! Lupul is a beast!

Nazem Kadri and Lupul have great chemistry going on. Ever since that Ottawa game last season where these two were dismantling the Sens defense, they have been making blind passes to each other.

Speaking of chemistry, in the limited time they have played together Raymond has the first assist on every goal Kadri has scored in both pre-season and the regular season to this point.

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011
I'd wager that a fair percentage of non Leafs fans would take Lupul over Kessel. Excellent puck support, does better work down low, gets greasy, and still has wheels and a good shot.

Not that I endorse that view, but it's what they'd say.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
JvR is a god in close to the net. We havent had a player this good around the crease in awhile.

leach11

Jul 4, 2012
I'd wager that a fair percentage of non Leafs fans would take Lupul over Kessel. Excellent puck support, does better work down low, gets greasy, and still has wheels and a good shot.

Not that I endorse that view, but it's what they'd say.

I disagree, especially when taking into account Lupul's injuries. He's a great player regardless though.

SteveV*

I wouldn't say Lupul and JVR are proving anyone wrong, if anything they haven't proven a thing. We all know Lupe's is a ppg player with Kessel on his arm but he has YET to show he can play a full season for the Leafs, he still needs to prove that. JVR runs torrid hot and ice cold, he's the type of guy who'll get you 10 goals in 10 games and then he'll go another 10 without a point, no doubt he's skilled but I question is his drive and passion though, 5 goals in 6 games proves nothing to me, sorry.

I literally laughed.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
What is forgotten is Lupul scores key goals, he's a clutch player.

There are times you look at stats and a player may have nice stats but they do not illustrate important goals to a team.

We now have players that score at crucial times. That can be considered clutch goals.

Kessel
JVR
Bolland
Bozak
Kadri

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->