Joey Moss has passed away

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Years ago, when I was a kid, I attended a hockey camp in Edmonton at which Joey was one of the helpers. I sort of knew who he was at the time, but by the end of the camp Joey was just this cool guy who was everyone's buddy.

We would have these inter-camp tournaments that the organizers tried to make really official. So one of the things they did was play the national anthem before the games. You can probably guess what I'm going to say--Joey would blast the anthem at the top of his lungs just as he did behind the bench at Oilers games. He legitimately loved signing the anthem. In hindsight, I wonder if playing the anthem was really for him.

And he was hilarious. We used to take a bus from the arena to an off-ice training centre. We were always little shits who stormed off the bus like idiot kids as soon as it stopped. One day, before leaving the arena for the off-ice location, one of the directors gave us crap and warned us not to charge off the bus. Joey seconded the warning as sternly as he could. A few minutes from our destination, Joey addressed us again and warned us, "no running off the bus." We all promised we wouldn't run, which was a lie. We sort of laughed and smirked as we made the promise, and Joey gave just the slightest smirk back. As soon as the bus stopped, everyone rushed the door, screaming and laughing and generally acting like stupid kids. Right on cue, Joey threw his hands up like a dad pretending to be a monster, and proceeded to chase us off the bus and into the field, all the while shouting, "RAAAAHHHHHHHH." It turned into a sort of chaotic game of tag. It was hilarious, and even the directors were laughing.

What a sad surprise to read the news that he passed away. Joey was a gem and he will be missed.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I’m not going to lie to you guys. I honestly have tears running down my face right now. I never met Joey, but I have a massive amount of respect for the man and what he was able to accomplish. When Joey broke in with the Oilers, people with Down Syndrome were just “Pejorative Slurs“. Joey was given a great chance, but he absolutely killed it. With hard work. With dedication. With boundless optimism. Players and staff, current and former, all loved him. He was an unbelievable role model under a bright light, on a lofty stage. He has done a tremendous amount of good for the disabled and his legacy will long outlive his bright lifetime.

Sincere condolences to the Moss family and his many friends. An extra hug to Lyle “Sparky” Kulchisky, his long-time mentor and friend.

I don’t know how the Oilers will honour Joey. They better do it big. And they better do it right. A legend has fallen and the occasion deserves no less.

Yeah, life for people with Down Syndrome has changed dramatically since the 70s and early 80s. I think their life expectancy was 25-30 in the 1970s, for a variety of reasons.

Now it's about 60 years of age.

brentashton

Sofa Counterweight
Jan 21, 2018
I’m not going to lie to you guys. I honestly have tears running down my face right now. I never met Joey, but I have a massive amount of respect for the man and what he was able to accomplish. When Joey broke in with the Oilers, people with Down Syndrome were just “Pejorative Slurs“. Joey was given a great chance, but he absolutely killed it. With hard work. With dedication. With boundless optimism. Players and staff, current and former, all loved him. He was an unbelievable role model under a bright light, on a lofty stage. He has done a tremendous amount of good for the disabled and his legacy will long outlive his bright lifetime.

Sincere condolences to the Moss family and his many friends. An extra hug to Lyle “Sparky” Kulchisky, his long-time mentor and friend.

I don’t know how the Oilers will honour Joey. They better do it big. And they better do it right. A legend has fallen and the occasion deserves no less.
Very well stated.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Years ago, when I was a kid, I attended a hockey camp in Edmonton at which Joey was one of the helpers. I sort of knew who he was at the time, but by the end of the camp Joey was just this cool guy who was everyone's buddy.

We would have these inter-camp tournaments that the organizers tried to make really official. So one of the things they did was play the national anthem before the games. You can probably guess what I'm going to say--Joey would blast the anthem at the top of his lungs just as he did behind the bench at Oilers games. He legitimately loved signing the anthem. In hindsight, I wonder if playing the anthem was really for him.

And he was hilarious. We used to take a bus from the arena to an off-ice training centre. We were always little shits who stormed off the bus like idiot kids as soon as it stopped. One day, before leaving the arena for the off-ice location, one of the directors gave us crap and warned us not to charge off the bus. Joey seconded the warning as sternly as he could. A few minutes from our destination, Joey addressed us again and warned us, "no running off the bus." We all promised we wouldn't run, which was a lie. We sort of laughed and smirked as we made the promise, and Joey gave just the slightest smirk back. As soon as the bus stopped, everyone rushed the door, screaming and laughing and generally acting like stupid kids. Right on cue, Joey threw his hands up like a dad pretending to be a monster, and proceeded to chase us off the bus and into the field, all the while shouting, "RAAAAHHHHHHHH." It turned into a sort of chaotic game of tag. It was hilarious, and even the directors were laughing.

What a sad surprise to read the news that he passed away. Joey was a gem and he will be missed.
That’s a fantastic story! Thank you very much for sharing it.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Very sad to hear this. Be at peace Joey. Think the Oilers need to build him a statue.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Terribly saddened by this. A huge loss not only for Edmonton, but for so many who he inspired with his courage, his passion, and his pure joy of things.

Joeys love transcended any team and if you didn’t love him, then you didn’t have a pulse. Few of us will live our lives with the fullness that Joey lived his.

peace be with him, and thanks for sharing your love with us all, Joey.

What a miserable year this is. One heartache after another. :(

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Wow, I was genuinely saddened to see this thread. Just a really tough year man.

Who can forget him belting out "Oh Canada" before every playoff game with such passion? He seemed like a genuine person and, by all accounts, was an instant friend to every Oilers player and staff member.

I really hope the Oilers do something special to honor him on opening night. He deserves it just as much as anybody that wore an Oilers uniform.

Last edited:

Section337

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I never even opened the thread about what the Oilers have done to make me smile. It is too easy to be grumpy and focus on the bad. But i didn’t think about Joey. Joey made me smile. I was always kind of proud that the team I cheered for included him as such an important fixture.

McChucky

TOPPEP
Jul 15, 2007
YEG
Really sad to hear the news. He is as much a legend in this city as the rest of the glory day Oilers and Eskimos. A true ambassador for our city. I think the city and the teams need to do something special for Joey once the time is right.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Tough news to hear. Wishing Joey eternal rest after his decades of unwavering service to the Oilers and Eskimos and a life well lived. He was beloved and one of a kind.
We should all have such joy of life as Joey brought to his.

And, as much as we celebrate the incredible hockey legacy of the Great Gretzky, his friendship with Joey and opening a door to help Joey realize his potential has to be among Gretz's most satisfying assists. Imagine what we would have missed if this gentle soul was left to languish working in a bottle depot. Joey will be an enduring Edmonton icon.

20 Questions with hall of famer Joey Moss, Edmonton Eskimos and Oilers veteran | Edmonton Sun

2) If you didn't do what you do for a living, what would you be?
Sorting bottles at a bottle depot but thanks to my sister Vicki, things are different.

Rest in Peace Joey!

Drai Fi

Sep 17, 2019
Very sad news.

His beginnings with the Oilers were far before my time, but if you are an Oilers fan, from whatever era, chances are you’ve heard of Joey. He was as synonymous with the Oilers as the logo on jersey. And he’ll forever be a legend in not just Edmonton, but across the NHL.

My thoughts go out to his family.

May he Rest In Peace.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->