Waived: Joey MacDonald (claimed by Calgary)

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Flames take wings' leftovers, first Hudler, now MacDonald... luls

Hello gentlemen/ladies, friendly Flames fan here.

Inquiring about the qualities of one mister Joseph MacDonald. What's his lateral movement like, his glove hand, his 5 hole? Or perhaps, where are his deficiencies?

Solid backup goaltender or poor man's 1b goaltender?

Thank you in advance.

What you will notice is that his laternal movement is his worst quality, he looks generally "slow" out there. He's also terrible at playing the puck. Other than that he's alright. Remember though, there's a reason he's been up and down in the AHL and NHL all his career.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
He was actually really good when he came in and played some games for Detroit last year. He contributed to that big home winning streak the wings had. With a work horse like Kipper, Mcdonald is a perfect backup nothing wrong with him

He was good, because he had a great game shape from AHL games. Now he hasn't played for almost a year.. (?)

I predict him to struggle, if he doesn't have any game shape, when he gets the first call.

But good luck for him about another opportunity.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
What is it with goalies we waive getting claimed?

Good luck Joey.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I was never comfortable with him as a backup(well maybe compared to Conklin last year but that isn't saying much :laugh: ) but he did a decent job when called upon,he did a decent job in Grand Rapids last year too

good luck to him in Calgary

Good riddance MacDonald. Thanks for holding back Mrazek.

what are you talking about?

vannzee

Ruslan Salei fan...
Dec 18, 2010
S.E Michigan
He was an unsung hero for us last year when Howie was down and Conklin sucked, I will remember him fondly. Really losing him on waivers was the best think for us in my opinion. There just wasn't much room at the inn especially once Monster is back so there's that. I think he is a below average backup goalie but a first rate AHL starter, third NHL goalie. I am concerned for Flames fans with how well he will move after ten months off or about his conditioning at this point but his time should be short lived. Kipper will be the starter when healthy and Leland Irving > Joey MacDonald.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad