Waived: Joey MacDonald (claimed by Calgary)

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
With the Monster and Mrazek in the mix...J-Mac is the odd many out. We probably don't see him again unless there are more injuries [knocks on head].

THW

Mar 6, 2008
I see him getting claimed by one of the bottom feeders, but I hope he clears.

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
I doubt any team will claim him now since he was injured and hasn't played any games yet. good move if we want to send him down. bad move if we wanted someone to claim him

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I doubt any team will claim him now since he was injured and hasn't played any games yet. good move if we want to send him down. bad move if we wanted someone to claim him

Nah, I don't think we want anyone to claim him. It could happen but seems unlikely. Gustafsson is going to out for quite a while so we need Mrazek in Detroit. GR is in a playoff race and they will absolutely fall apart if McCollum or Pearce are the #1 goalie there. MacDonald will likely become the #1 for the Griffins if/when he clears waivers.

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
Figure mays well post a link for some people to see it

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130210/SPORTS0103/302100333/1361/Wings-waive-goalie-Joey-MacDonald

Mac got claimed in 2006 when everyone thought he would clear, you never know many teams are looking for a fill in, Buffalo, and Carolina And he might get another stint in Long Island :P

Dan Ellis has a save percentage of .939 and a goal against average just under 2.00. Carolina clearly doesn't need a backup.

Also, Enroth is a much better backup than MacDonald.

Thats My Hat

Jan 27, 2012
London, Ontario
Dan Ellis has a save percentage of .939 and a goal against average just under 2.00. Carolina clearly doesn't need a backup.

Also, Enroth is a much better backup than MacDonald.

I think Montreal's looking for a better back up than Budaj. They kept Price in net throughout the pounding they recieved in Toronto.

I hope Mac does get picked up. He deserves to be in the NHL and not get buried in the minors. But it's unlikely right now since he's just getting back from a major injury. But if he plays well with the Griffins, his value might go up and we can trade him to a team in need of a back up.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I hope he clears. Griffins need him while Mrazek is gone and the two makes a good tandem heading into the playoffs.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Good luck wherever you end up Joey. While we are in the waiving mood, I know someone else who would be a good candidate ;)

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Good luck wherever you end up Joey. While we are in the waiving mood, I know someone else who would be a good candidate ;)

That would make me so happy. The amount of times I yell at the TV during a Wings game would reduce by about 35%. We can dream cant we?

smurfyeah19

Feb 3, 2012
I think Montreal's looking for a better back up than Budaj. They kept Price in net throughout the pounding they recieved in Toronto.

I hope Mac does get picked up. He deserves to be in the NHL and not get buried in the minors. But it's unlikely right now since he's just getting back from a major injury. But if he plays well with the Griffins, his value might go up and we can trade him to a team in need of a back up.

You know I write for a site covering the Montreal Canadiens and Budaj is about as good as one of those goal covers with the holes you use in the driveway. He's so slow reaction wise and he always loses the puck. I think in two games he has given up almost what Price had in 8, before the failure on Hockey Day in Canada

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
The Flames claimed him, per John Shannon on Twitter.

He would have been a big help in GR until the Monster returns.

Aug 3, 2010
Hello gentlemen/ladies, friendly Flames fan here.

Inquiring about the qualities of one mister Joseph MacDonald. What's his lateral movement like, his glove hand, his 5 hole? Or perhaps, where are his deficiencies?

Solid backup goaltender or poor man's 1b goaltender?

Thank you in advance.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground

Inquiring about the qualities of one mister Joseph MacDonald. What's his lateral movement like, his glove hand, his 5 hole? Or perhaps, where are his deficiencies?

Thank you in advance.

I see him as a decent backup when injuries arise, but if the team is healthy he should be a 3rd stringer.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

Thank you in advance.

I think he showed the last two years that he can be a backup in the right situation. Just missed 10 months with back problems, so don't expect a work horse.

I'm happy for him, he was only the 4th guy here as it stands and would be gone in the summer anyway.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Thank you in advance.

He was actually really good when he came in and played some games for Detroit last year. He contributed to that big home winning streak the wings had. With a work horse like Kipper, Mcdonald is a perfect backup nothing wrong with him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad