Joey Leach

bretzky29ca*

As far as prospects are concerned, Joey leach does not get near the respect he deserves. This guy is a lanky defenceman who is filling into his body who can put up the points. Definitely has the potential to be a top two defenceman I believe.I'm surprised their isn't more discussion regarding this kid.I'd be interested to hear Flames fans thoughts about where they see Leach fitting in.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Top two defenceman? I don't see it. I see a defenceman that has gradually and slowly rounded out his game and grown into his body, but I still don't think he has a ton of pro potential. Likely a bottom pairing guy at best.

bretzky29ca*

Top two defenceman? I don't see it. I see a defenceman that has gradually and slowly rounded out his game and grown into his body, but I still don't think he has a ton of pro potential. Likely a bottom pairing guy at best.

Tall,lanky prospects such as Leach tend to have a reputation of being a little soft and not always the best decision makers.Leach, as witnessed nationally at last year's memorial cup is a very smart hockey player, incredibly responsible defensively while possessing a great shot and vision in the offensive zone. His speed is under appreciated and he just keeps getting better and better. This may be a controversial statement, but I firmly believe Leach is the best defender in the dub right now. The fact that he was a third round pick astounds me and I think Calgary got themselves a steal. Mark my word, Joey Leach will significant NHL time next year, just notat the start as the Flames will need to see him strut his skills in the AHL for the first month or two.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Tall,lanky prospects such as Leach tend to have a reputation of being a little soft and not always the best decision makers.Leach, as witnessed nationally at last year's memorial cup is a very smart hockey player, incredibly responsible defensively while possessing a great shot and vision in the offensive zone. His speed is under appreciated and he just keeps getting better and better. This may be a controversial statement, but I firmly believe Leach is the best defender in the dub right now. The fact that he was a third round pick astounds me and I think Calgary got themselves a steal. Mark my word, Joey Leach will significant NHL time next year, just notat the start as the Flames will need to see him strut his skills in the AHL for the first month or two.

Yikes...that's pretty bold...

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
So judging by your responses, their appears to be tentativeness related to Leach's development. What breeds this tentativeness?

I don't know. I've tried to follow Reinhart as much as possible, and that means getting to see some ice games. Leach has just never stood out as that sort of talent.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
I'd love for nothing more than for you to be right, believe me. But even in the Flames system, Leach stands out as a pretty mediocre defensive prospect.

takehisheadoff

Nov 2, 2009
Medicine Hat, AB
I seen him play last night. Not one of his best games but still played well. I am certain he will make the Flames eventually or another NHL team. being a top 2 dman is hard to say of now though.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
He does not have top pairing potential at this point, and likely never will.

I see his upside as a good #4/5 Guy who is above average defensively, with a decent first pass.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
Leach is a big experienced dman, logging big minutes on a team that is thin on defense. He is a strong defensive dman that van hang with any of the best forwards in the league. I don't see the amazing skating and offensive intangibles that you do. I think his ceiling is a 4-6 dman in the show.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad