Confirmed with Link: Joey Daccord re-signed (1.2M x 2)

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
From what I can tell, this appears to be a 1-way contract. This means either Driedger is out or he is going to be sent down to Coachella again. Outside chance we carry 3 goalies but I don't see why.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
From what I can tell, this appears to be a 1-way contract. This means either Driedger is out or he is going to be sent down to Coachella again. Outside chance we carry 3 goalies but I don't see why.

Well, there've been rumors about us "shopping" Driedger.
Of course after last year and with his cap hit(and actual money) it's more about how much we'd have to pay in order to get someone to take that contract,.

Overall I wouldn't be too surprised if he becomes the first ever Kraken to be bought out.

That likely means he is the plan as back up for next year.

It certainly means that.
D'Accord has been fantastic in the AHL and he was going to get that chance no matter if it was with us or someone else.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
I wondered if GMRF sat down with Driedger in an end-of-season exit convo and said "this was a lost season, expect to spend time in CV next year to rehab/get your game back" with plans to float Driedger through waivers. If he goes down and works his way back, win for the Kraken...if another team is willing to pick him up, then the risk is on their dime.

Either way, Jones had to be the picture in the dictionary next to "replacement level backup goaltender" and I'm inclined to believe D'accord will be about the same level.

Reactions: Sad People and AarG

JelloPuddyPops

"Gotta support the team."
Oct 9, 2018
Pacific Northwest
Not really. We had to re-sign him or he gets signed elsewhere regardless if we keep him or not when October hits.
You keep overlooking some key facts: Dacocrd is younger, on a smaller cap hit, didn't miss almost an entire season due to a knee injury, and didn't watch the entire AHL playoffs from the bench. (Driedger also missed some time the season before due to nagging injuries.) Driedger is also on the last year of his deal.

The favorite to be the backup next season is Daccord. The Kraken will want to hold onto the younger, lower cap hit goalie that is signed for two more seasons. Daccord is nothing special at the NHL level to this point but neither is Driedger.

Unless Joey blows out his knee or completely forgets how to stop of puck (which, who knows with goalies), Driedger is either going to get traded, end up in Coachella, or get claimed on waivers. Could Driedger end up as the backup? Sure.. anything is possible. Is it likely? Not so much.

Reactions: rsteen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad