Confirmed with Link: Joey Anderson signs ELC

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Joey Anderson's strengths are not dynamic creativity and driving possession. He's a player with speed, grit and two-way acumen who is skilled enough offensively to compliment top-6 forwards. He compares to guys like Kyle Okposo and Mark Stone, maybe with a bit less size but more speed. What's nice about him is that he plays with off-the-charts competitiveness and high-end hockey IQ, so that even when he is not scoring he is still an extremely useful component of a winning team.

Basically sounds like a text-book New Jersey Devil. Hockey smarts and responsible defensively.

MtoD

Feb 4, 2018
It depended on whether Anderson counts as a 20 year old. CapFriendly lists Anderson as 20 for CBA signing age. He doesn't turn 20 until June, but the CBA might go with birth year rather than birthdate. If Anderson counted as a 19 year old, then his deal would have slid.

ELC signing age is considered as the player's age as of September 15th of the calendar year he signs his ELC. Since Joey turns 20 in June, he's considered 20 for this ELC. (And would have been considered 19 if he signed before 2018, etc.).

Only 18 and 19 year old ELCs are eligible to slide so by simply signing his ELC to start this year, a year was burned even if Joey never even joined the team. If this was eligible to slide, the 10 game rule (as far as I know) still applies, so he would have to be in the lineup for 10 playoff games.. the CBA does not distinguish between NHL regular season games and playoff games.

If he played his junior year I think an ELC would be 2 years vs. staying 1 more year and being UFA eligible. Or am I wrong on that? I think the ELC thing is a little bit overblown. Yes, it's an advantage to have contributing ELCs, but smart RFA contracts can be a good substitute.

If he stayed 1 more year and then signed an ELC to begin immediately (i.e. signs similarly this time next year), his ELC signing age would be 21 and he still would have a 3 year ELC, with the first year burned immediately = 2 years effectively.

If he had stayed 2 more years (ELC signing age 22), he would then be eligible for a 2 year ELC. The nuance there would have been that had he signed immediately with the Devils, the first year could have been burned and it would effectively be a 1 year ELC. However, had he chosen to go to UFA, he would have to wait until the new league year and would not have been able to burn a year = 2 year ELC (see Butcher, Kerfoot).

I agree that there's very little that can hurt a team by burning ELC years. It's not a year accrued to FA, it's simply having to pay for an extra RFA year earlier on in the player's career.. which almost always will be cheaper than the potential 3.5M full cap hit of a max ELC. It looks like Joey's deal also has no performance bonuses so in this case, the team traded him a lower cap hit/salary for one year of his ELC.

Reactions: Brodeur

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He's got a really heavy release. Powerful skater, strong on the puck / in corners. Above average hands, and reads the play well in both directions. He's not an elite puck carrier who is going to weave through traffic, but he's got enough power and speed to beat defenseman on the outside.

He's essentially the perfect complimentary winger to play with a pair of strong play drivers. I wouldn't hesitate to give him a chance alongside Hall and Nico. Let Palmieri get easier matchups with Mojo.

Reactions: DerekDevils30

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I think we'll have to make a trade at some point, I don't see a way we'll have room for Zacha, McLeod, Bratt, Anderson, and JQ all in the lineup.

Maybe JQ and one of Zacha/McLeod in a package for a LHD?

Reactions: Classic Devil

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I think we'll have to make a trade at some point, I don't see a way we'll have room for Zacha, McLeod, Bratt, Anderson, and JQ all in the lineup.

Right now I'd say a good bet for the Devils lines in 2018-19 are
Hall-Nico-Anderson/McLeod
MoJo-Zacha-Palmieri
Coleman-Zajac-Noesen
Maroon-Boyle-Bratt

I think NJ resigns Maroon -- he is very popular in the locker room, should not be cost prohibitive, and adds a physical element our Fs sometimes need more of.

I think UFAs Stafford, Hayes and Grabner are gone. Gibbons' versatility would make him very useful as a spare F, and I can see him filling the 'black ace' role.

What we do not know is how patient Shero will be with Zacha's development. With a ton of $$ under the cap, he could make a play for a UFA C like Backlund, and then dangle Zacha as trade bait to get help at LHD. I still think that Shero's top UFA target will be RHD John Carlson.

Reactions: Darkauron

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
MoJo-Zacha-Palmieri
Coleman-Zajac-Noesen
Maroon-Boyle-Bratt

I think NJ resigns Maroon -- he is very popular in the locker room, should not be cost prohibitive, and adds a physical element our Fs sometimes need more of.

I think UFAs Stafford, Hayes and Grabner are gone. Gibbons' versatility would make him very useful as a spare F, and I can see him filling the 'black ace' role.

What we do not know is how patient Shero will be with Zacha's development. With a ton of $$ under the cap, he could make a play for a UFA C like Backlund, and then dangle Zacha as trade bait to get help at LHD. I still think that Shero's top UFA target will be RHD John Carlson.
You're missing Miles Wood.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
MoJo-Zacha-Palmieri
Coleman-Zajac-Noesen
Maroon-Boyle-Bratt

Backlund is not UFA. He signed an extension a few months ago.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
MoJo-Zacha-Palmieri
Coleman-Zajac-Noesen
Maroon-Boyle-Bratt

Bad line for Bratt

Reactions: OmNomNom

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

I definitely think Shero looks to make a trade, but there's room for whoever earns it.

Besides, I'd rather have viable options for spots and bump a guy like Coleman or Johansson down a line if Bratt or JQ has a terrific year then go into the year keeping that spot open.

I really like the way the Blue Jackets are doing it. Guys like Dubois, Bjorkstrand, Milano have been bumping guys like Foligno, Dubinsky, and Jenner to the fourth line at times. Atkinson was out played by other guys and scratched at one point. It keeps everyone honest and it makes you a much deeper and stronger team.

Plus injuries always strike. One of the biggest reason for the Devils success this year is there wasn't any passengers. We had a good amount of injuries, but we basically ran with 25 NHL forwards and 8 defenders all year.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
MoJo-Zacha-Palmieri
Coleman-Zajac-Noesen
Maroon-Boyle-Bratt

You spelled Tavares wrong a few times:sarcasm:

Reactions: StevenToddIves

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
You think Anderson will challenge for a NHL roster spot as soon as next season?
Perhaps, it depends on how many spots are available. If we bring back Maroon that complicates things.

I think it's possible that one of McLeod/Anderson/maybe even Speers leapfrogs Bratt on the depth chart in training camp and earns a spot in camp.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Perhaps, it depends on how many spots are available. If we bring back Maroon that complicates things.

I think it's possible that one of McLeod/Anderson leapfrogs Bratt on the depth chart in training camp and earns a spot in camp.

Right now, I see the Devils keeping Maroon (or adding another middle-six RW).

Gives us something like:

Hall - Hischier - Palmieri
Johansson - Zacha - Maroon
Coleman - Zajac - Noesen
Wood - Boyle

I'd assume the Devils sign another Hayes to be a warm body as the 13th forward. That would leave two spots open, but I would put Zacha, Maroon, Coleman, Noesen, and Wood's spot in flux. Any of them can be bounced around the line-up and/or scratched for Bratt, McLeod, Anderson, or JQ.

Plus there is bound to be injuries, slumps, etc. Always good to have a lot of quality guys.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Right now, I see the Devils keeping Maroon (or adding another middle-six RW).

Gives us something like:

Hall - Hischier - Palmieri
Johansson - Zacha - Maroon
Coleman - Zajac - Noesen
Wood - Boyle

I'd assume the Devils sign another Hayes to be a warm body as the 13th forward. That would leave two spots open, but I would put Zacha, Maroon, Coleman, Noesen, and Wood's spot in flux. Any of them can be bounced around the line-up and/or scratched for Bratt, McLeod, Anderson, or JQ.

Plus there is bound to be injuries, slumps, etc. Always good to have a lot of quality guys.
We should make a thread for 2019 roster discussion, maybe.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
We should make a thread for 2019 roster discussion, maybe.

Nah. Should be fine. This has a bit to do with where Anderson fits next year.

There's a spot for him but he's with the McLeod, Bratt, and JQ group where they have the inside track, but they need to earn their spot.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
MoJo-Zacha-Palmieri
Coleman-Zajac-Noesen
Maroon-Boyle-Bratt

wow...i really didn't think we'd see him up with us next year, let alone on the top line. interesting

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad