Joe's 1st round mock

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
After reading closer:

Beaulieu sounds like Forbort did last year. Nothing that stands out, but play a good overall game, and Forbort went around that spot too.

I don't think RNH will be playing in the NHL next season, that would surprise me. And YES it's because of his weight.

I'm curious to why you are not so high on Strome. And 2-3 years, I think I read that someone thought he might be ready next season, like Skinner.

And I still think you missed Jensen and Jaskin. Haven't seen Hudon in this high too.. interesting.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I was pretty sure Carolina GM said they wont take defensemen's in the first round hence Fowler, Gormley dropping in favour of Skinner. They have found they have more success at forwards then defensemen in the 1st rd drafting.

Close. He's said that in the past, when all other things are equal, he's going with a forward over a dman because you get more prime years out of them before they become a UFA. But when a dman is clearly the best player on the board, he'll draft the dman.

In 06 the debate was between taking Jack Johnson and Marc Staal at #3, scouting staff was split on that one, Karmanos wanted Johnson. Again in 09, everyone (including myself) assumed that Boychuk was the player they were targeting at #14. It broke late that the player they were really after was Teubert but LA snagged him right before they picked there.

The reason the Canes took Skinner is because he was very high up on the Canes board (I can't remember if our beat writer said #3 or #4, either way they had him above the 2 dmen). He had tried to trade back up into the first round to acquire Fowler offering up a few combinations of picks that involved the three second round picks from last year, this years first, or some combination thereof. Didn't find any takers before Fowler went to Anaheim.

I don't think Carolina drafts Murphy either, because JR's preference has been for NCAA dmen in recent years (Johnson, McBain, Faulk, Alt among the more notable) to the tune of 10/17 dmen picked since the lockout have been NCAAers. Personally I think they're looking Oleksiak this coming season, but I've been wrong in the past... very wrong in some instances (Paradis and Skinner).

boots electric

Mar 12, 2008
i don't see buffalo picking anything but a center in the 1st round. left wing would probably be their second choice, but the lack of center depth in the organization needs to be addressed

MPStoEberletoHall*

I know for a fact that Ottawa will take Landskog if they get that chance.
Edmonton should take Larsson and RHN will be pick by colorado 3rd overall.
Couturier will be 4th overall by islander even if islander don t need him they rather a wing but go with the best player available. then 5th is a big question mark. if florida pick they ll go after a center and not a D but I wouldn't surprise if Dougie Hamilton get pick 5th overall. But I think New Jersey will luck out and get Hamilton. I love your explanation but the Jet's won't exist anytime soon.

:laugh:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I did this awhile ago and I think if I would change some things but I thought I would post it anyway

3. Islanders - Adam Larsson Skellefta D 6'3 210

It makes too much sense that the Islanders want a stud on the blueline. They have the horses up front and this would add to a nice if not outstanding backend. There is alot to like with Larsson. Solid and dependable, a cerebal defender in the mold of Nik Lidstrom. Has all the tools to go along with great size. At worst you get a Alex Edler and thats not a bad thing at all.

5. Florida - Jonathan Huberdeau C Saint John 6'1 170

Florida has a bunch of Stud D men and big forwards on the way. Huberdeau is shooting up the charts and they could look to add this talented center. A more classical scoring center then Couturier not as big or physical. Oozes class. Not ready for primetime yet.

9. St.Louis - Ryan Strome C Niagara 6'0 180

I am not completely sold on Strome just yet. He does posess elite level offensive talent and his skating is above average. There are some question marks about shying away from physical play and poor defensive habits. Not sure if St.Louis grabs him or not the do have Oshie and Berglund already there but Strome is a good 2 to 3 years away from the NHL anyway.

I'd be thrilled if the isles came out of the first round with Larsson.

However,I've been expecting them to slide down a few spots,past a few teams and end up picking 5th/6th.The players I've been interested in are Strome and Huberdeau.From your post,it sounds like Huberdeau is the more complete player.

I wouldn't think that Strome being a few yrs away from the nhl,was a big drawback.Over the next 1-2 seasons,the isles could be adding Nino/Petrov to their top 9.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
No way do the Oil pass on Larsson. Watch the last instalment of "Oil Change" when it shows Stu during a meeting with his scouts. He says something like "Can you imagine getting a defenceman like that?" Who could he be talking about other than Larsson? The only other Dman who I think would make him say that would be Oleksiak because of the physical package, but the episode was filmed before the Penner trade and I doubt he thought Oleksiak would be there at 31.

And please, no to Couturier. I'd rather just trade back, gain some additional picks and take Dougie Hamilton if we're not getting Larsson or RNH.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
The Sharks won't take a defensman... They have a TON in the system right now and they need a scoring winger for when the Big 3 and Clowe get older. If Puempel is still there, they'll take the chance.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
Really think Couturier is a good fit in Edmonton. I know this isn't the greatest comparison but look at the Pens, they took Sid, Malkin, and Staal to be their big 3 up front and did a good job of scouting by getting Letang and Gologoski after the first round. Just some food for thought.

Confound

Vindication
Oct 28, 2010
Maine
Wow Murphy at #12, that's an eye opener. Seems possible though he could fall like Fowler did last year.

HockeyGuy1975

May 22, 2009
Biggs has very little in common with JVR. The only things that have similar are size and USNTDP. Other than those things, I can't think of anything similar. I can't see Biggs going in the top 15, but then again there are always some GMs that love size and aggressiveness over talent and skill.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Biggs has very little in common with JVR. The only things that have similar are size and USNTDP. Other than those things, I can't think of anything similar. I can't see Biggs going in the top 15, but then again there are always some GMs that love size and aggressiveness over talent and skill.

Sounds like Zack Kassian

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
No way do the Sens pass up on Larsson.

He's going number 1 no matter what team has the first overall.

I wish the Sens pick second and the Oilers go for RNH leaving Larsson clear to the Sens.

Renzor

Dec 4, 2008
If you sincerely believe that the worst possible outcome for Larsson is Edler-type production and not having him first overall well then I don't know what to say.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
If you sincerely believe that the worst possible outcome for Larsson is Edler-type production and not having him first overall well then I don't know what to say.

Edler is a great player but if I am drafting first overall I want a true superstar.

Thanks for all the input I will use it when I do a final mock draft

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

is this on current standings... cuz Avs are at 3 and inching towards 2

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
No chance that the Oil take two centers the one year they can take both a centre and a defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad