Joe's 1st round mock

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I did this awhile ago and I think if I would change some things but I thought I would post it anyway

1. Ottawa - Ryan Nugent Hopkins Red Deer C 6'1 170

Ottawa is very high on this kid. I also think he plays wing in the NHL ala Joe Sakic. 1st player to be taken first overall from the WHL since another Senator Chris Phillips so there is some symmetry there. May have the best overall talent in this draft. Will play in the NHL next year alongside Spezza.

2. Edmonton - Sean Couturier Drummondville C 6'4 210

I believe the Oilers want one of these 2 centers. I like the idea of a more talented Jason Arnott centering Hall and Eberle over the next 10 years. Big,agressive and skilled. Can cycle down low and is a great puck hawk. Has elite level talent to along with that great size. It wouldn't shock me to see Edmonton move down a spot or 2 especially if Colorado really wants someone.

3. Islanders - Adam Larsson Skellefta D 6'3 210

It makes too much sense that the Islanders want a stud on the blueline. They have the horses up front and this would add to a nice if not outstanding backend. There is alot to like with Larsson. Solid and dependable, a cerebal defender in the mold of Nik Lidstrom. Has all the tools to go along with great size. At worst you get a Alex Edler and thats not a bad thing at all.

4. Colorado - Gabriel Landeskog LW Kitchener 6'2 200

Trading away your big power forward and not replacing him with one that could be better would be a big mistake. The swedish Brendan Morrow is waiting for some GM to make them look good. I think Landeskog will be a perennial 30 goal man in the NHL and he will run over people regularly. The kid made the right decision coming over to NA early. I think Colorado is actually coveting Larsson it wouldn't shock me to see them offer up the Blues first rounder to Edmonton to move up.

5. Florida - Jonathan Huberdeau C Saint John 6'1 170

Florida has a bunch of Stud D men and big forwards on the way. Huberdeau is shooting up the charts and they could look to add this talented center. A more classical scoring center then Couturier not as big or physical. Oozes class. Not ready for primetime yet.

6. Devils - Dougie Hamilton D Niagara 6'4 200

I think the Devils will be happy to grab Hamilton here. A very good two way defender in the Ryan Whitney mold. Maybe not as physical as you would like to see but is an excellent skater and moves the puck well. The Devils may fall back a bit as the season finishes.

7. Atlanta - Ty Biggs RW USNDP 6'3 200

Biggs is a big powerforward similar in style to JVR in Philly. He has a good mean streak and nice hands for a big man. Dudley in Atlanta loves his big players and Biggs fits that mold. He is committed to the Miami Redhawks next season but he would probably benefit greatly from going to the OHL. His rights are owned by Kitchener

8. Boston - Duncan Siemans D Saskatoon 6'3 210

Siemans is a classic WHL defender. Big,strong and mean. He also has good offensive instinct and has put up excellent numbers this year. I think he fits a need more than BPA here for Boston. But they can afford to do so since they have a wealth of young talent already.

9. St.Louis - Ryan Strome C Niagara 6'0 180

I am not completely sold on Strome just yet. He does posess elite level offensive talent and his skating is above average. There are some question marks about shying away from physical play and poor defensive habits. Not sure if St.Louis grabs him or not the do have Oshie and Berglund already there but Strome is a good 2 to 3 years away from the NHL anyway.

10. Columbus - Scott Mayfield D Youngstown 6'4 200

I think the Bus would sad to see Siemens gone already but instead they go after this raw defender in Mayfield. Mayfield is a bit of a wildcard and probably more of a project Defender at this point in time. He by all accounts is a mean son of a ***** on the backend and has good skills with the puck. He is committed to the University of Denver but I wonder if he goes to Kitchener next instead.

11. Buffalo - Brandon Saad LW Saginaw 6'2 200

I think Saad went into this season with really high expectations. I sometimes think US born players especially those coming out of the USNDP are somewhat overrated. What we were told was Saad was a big power forward in the Kevin Stevens model, what we got was something not near that. Saad is big and highly skilled but he will not be running you over. There are some question marks here about what type of player he is. I think he is more finesse then anything. He is actually similar to another Buffalo player Drew Stafford.

12. Carolina - Ryan Murphy D Kitchener 5'11 175

I am on the fence with using a first round pick on a smallish offensive D man. Too me they have a biggest potential bust other then goalies. But there is no denying Murphy's skill. A great skater,passer with a cannon of a shot. Like all smallish D men you wonder if they can handle today's NHL players. I don't think Carolina will pass on him here

13. Rangers - Mika Zibanejad C Djurgarden 6'2 200

Zibanejad is really rising up the draft charts and it wouldn't shock me to hear his name called earlier. Plays a power center style of game. Very North American in style, not afraid to mix it up. Similar to Mikko Koivu. NHL Ready. I am not sure if the Rangers go here with him but I would.

14. Ducks - Nathan Beulieu D Saint John 6'2 190

To be honest I have always been underwhelmed when I watched Beaulieu play. He never really stands out and doesn't do one particular thing well. He does play a solid two way game. Is an excellent skater. Sometimes he can be physical. I think there might be better defenders behind him but he is a safe pick to play in the NHL.

15. Wild - Sven Bartschi LW Portland 5'11 180

Offensive dynamo. Great skater and he might be the best stick handler outside of RNH in the draft. NHL wrist shot. Can handle the physical grind of the WHL. The Wild need some offensive help they get it here with Barschi.

16. Senators - Ty Rattie RW Portland 5'11 190

Back to back Winterhawks go. Rattie may be the best pure sniper in the draft. NHL wrist shot. Good speed. Good strength on the rush. Goes to the hard spots. Bit of a streaky scorer. Shown he can be a play maker as well this season. I like the Senators to grab a scorer for their future 2nd line.

17. Edmonton - Mark McNeil C Prince Albert 6'2 200

I like McNeil always have. Has a good toolkit of size,speed,skill and aggression. Gives an honest effort every night. Willing to engage physically every shift. Has shown his offensive game this year. Could rise in the draft. Edmonton grabs its second big center. This one they can let stew in the WHL for a couple of years collecting World junior golds so they can figure out how to get rid of Horcoff and Gagner.

18. Calgary - Joel Armia RW Assat 6'3 190

The big finnish winger looks to be the next big thing out of Finland. Seemed to be getting used to his growing body. Plays a power game and goes to the net hard. Not the fastest guy but has NHL speed. Calgary probably won't be able to resist his size and skill level as they look to find someone to replace Iginla eventually

19. Jets - Mark Scheifele C Barrie 6'3 200

Big Scheifele is quietly rising up the draft lists. The Big play making center can play a variety of roles. Is a pretty solid and safe pick to play in the NHL. Ideally he will be a solid number 2 center as I don't think he has the skill level to put up numbers in the NHL. The Jets make a splash taking the protege of former Jet Dale Hawerchuk.

20. Dallas - Jamieson Oleksiak D Northeastern 6'7 244

They like them big in Dallas and they don't come bigger then Oleksiak. Already a massive 6'7 244 pounds he apparently skates really well for a big man. There are some concerns. He is not overly aggressive so instead of a Chara or even Meyers are you getting a Hal Gill here. Either way I don't think teams will let him go much beyond this point.

21. Chicago - Seth Ambroz RW Omaha 6'3 195

Ambroz was once thought of being a top 5 guy for this draft but has fallen. He hasn't improved offensively as much as you would like to see. He is a big powerful winger who isn't afraid to mix it up. He is set to go to the Minnestoa next year but I wonder if he wouldn't better develop in the WHL with Seattle.

22. Montreal - Phillipe Hudon LW Choate-Rosemary 6'2 190

If Hudon was in the Quebec league we might be talking about him as a surefire top 15 guy but he isn't and it is hard to get a read on High School kids. He is from just outside of Montreal and is very good skater who loves to hit. More a goal scorer then a passer he would give Montreal another option in the top 6 that isn't a small fry. Going to Cornell next year.

23. Tampa Bay - David Musil D Vancouver 6'5 210

It is not a case so much of Musil falling as other players rising. He is a safe pick. He has great size, skates well, plays solid postional hockey. He can be physical and he will drop the gloves if need be to protect a team mate. I think he would slot in nicely in TBay as a solid defender amongst all that scoring

24. Washington - Vladmir Namestikov C London 6'0 170

I find Namestikov's game underwhelming at times. There are flashes of brilliance followed by periods of nothing. Fantastic skater with top 5 skills who maybe shies away too much from the physical play and can disappear for periods of time. The Caps seem to have alot of luck with russians though so it wouldn't shock me to see them grab him.

25. San Jose - Oscar Klefbom D Farjestad 6'4 200

Klefbom is an intriguing combination of size and potential. He has kind of bounced around in draft rankings but he is playing in the SEL this year and doing well by all accounts. San Jose needs to add some solid defensemen and Klefbom is a nice safe pick.

26. Toronto - Jonathan Miller C USNDP 6'2 200

Jon Miller will be refered to as the next Ryan Kesler in this upcoming draft. A strong two way center from Ohio. Has excellent speed and a good shot. Loves to drive the net and forecheck hard. Toronto can let him develop at College for a few years.

27. Pittsburgh - Matthew Puempel LW Peterborough 6'0 190

The speedy winger has fallen in the draft rankings. The guy can score coming down the wings. Is really poor defensively and disappears if you apply pressure to him. A lot of talent here though and if he can't play in the top 6 he can't play.

28. Detroit - Jonas Brodin D Farjestad 6'1 180

Jonas is solid defense man playing in the SEL. He is described as a smart positonal player who doesn't shy away from the physical side and initiates alot of contact. He is the kind of guy that Detroit loves to draft and leisurely develop in the minors.

29. Toronto - Lucas Lessio LW Oshawa 6'2 190

I think more was expected of Lessio this season and his offense hasn't quite been there. He is a big winger who plays an up and down style and isn't afraid to go to the hard spots to win the puck. He may lack finish and I question whether or not he is a top 6 guy but he probably is a very safe pick and the Leafs could use some more local flair on there team.

30. Vancouver - Zack Phillips C Saint John 6'1 195

Zack is a hard working two way center. Very solid defensively he has put up some staggering numbers offensively for a powerhouse team. I have read some scout reports that question whether or not this will translate to numbers in the NHL. Either way the Nucks will have a solid number 3 guy to slot in behind the Sedins and Kesler in a few years.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I have heard the Senators are very high on RNH.

Yes Jensen was one of those guys if I redo this after the season is done would be in the first round

BUCKLE UP

MVPTP
Nov 30, 2009
Ottawa
Ottawa is very high on this kid.

I stopped right there. We have insiders over on the Sens board and no one has mentioned that we are "very high" on RNH. Where have you heard this? Especially with Murray gushing over Lando this past week...

jboyce4

Mar 8, 2011
Red Deer
I'm surprised that you have Couturnier to the Oil above Larsson but it is definately possible. I think they will want to leave the first round with a dman though- if they take a center with their first pick I would bet they take Musil or Oleksiak. My personal hope is that they get Larsson then McNeil though. Seems like a well thought out mock draft for the most part though.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I stopped right there. We have insiders over on the Sens board and no one has mentioned that we are "very high" on RNH. Where have you heard this?

From being in the rink talking with some scouts over the past month. They like him that is all I know.

I don't know if they like him enough over other guys. I am not privy to there thoughts. I have a feeling it would come down to RNH or Landeskog for them.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
Just did a quick look and it looks rock solid. Lot's info, I'm gonna read it all later when I got the time. But by the looks of it you did an awesome job bro.

But I miss Jensen and Jaskin on your list.
And I think Oilers should draft Larsson, but that's just my personal opinion.

Last edited:

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I'm surprised that you have Couturnier to the Oil above Larsson but it is definately possible. I think they will want to leave the first round with a dman though- if they take a center with their first pick I would bet they take Musil or Oleksiak. My personal hope is that they get Larsson then McNeil though. Seems like a well thought out mock draft for the most part though.

That is just a personal preference. The Oilers are very good at hiding who they really like

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Solid list, but your hate for the NCAA is unbearable.

Hate is too strong a word. What I dislike is seeing someone go to the NCAA for a year then ditch it for a contract. I would rather see someone go and stay for the full 4 years especially those that maybe will never have a pro career.

Lets say Ty Biggs goes in the top 10 plays 1 year then signs a big contract. All that did was keep some other kid out of school that could have been going there

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I stopped right there. We have insiders over on the Sens board and no one has mentioned that we are "very high" on RNH. Where have you heard this? Especially with Murray gushing over Lando this past week...

Actually it's the bloggers that have said that, couple bloggers with some reliability though. Murray might be gushing over any top prospect that makes a trip to play the 67s...especially the one the media is already in love with.

The same bloggers also said they like RNH. And they were all out west to watch him 2-3 weeks ago, Tim Murray was quoted "He looked good".

Still think Landeskog will be our guy but things could get interesting....I'm all for either.

Good read Joe.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Hate is too strong a word. What I dislike is seeing someone go to the NCAA for a year then ditch it for a contract. I would rather see someone go and stay for the full 4 years especially those that maybe will never have a pro career.

Lets say Ty Biggs goes in the top 10 plays 1 year then signs a big contract. All that did was keep some other kid out of school that could have been going there

Ok I see your reasoning, my mistake. :)

I know you made this long ago, but I do see Jensen going in the top 20 as of now and I do see Murphy falling.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Ok I see your reasoning, my mistake. :)

I know you made this long ago, but I do see Jensen going in the top 20 as of now and I do see Murphy falling.

I only recently saw Jensen play a few times this past month. The only other time was at the Prospect game. Most of these guys I have seen play over the past couple of years at least 2 to 3 times. Not a great amount for sure but I am no scout.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
In Boston's recent draft history what has you believe they value guys like Murphy?

Does that mean anything? That's such a stupid thing to say. What makes you think they won't? Because Murphy fills their need extremly well and it wouldn't be an of the board pick at all, far from him.

Siemens is a great player, but Boston doesn't need him at all and a lot of people think he shouldn't be top 10 at all.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Does that mean anything? That's such a stupid thing to say. What makes you think they won't? Because Murphy fills their need extremly well and it wouldn't be an of the board pick at all, far from him.

Siemens is a great player, but Boston doesn't need him at all and a lot of people think he shouldn't be top 10 at all.

I tend to look at what teams Value in draft picks and what they value as a team as a whole.

Looking over Boston's recent draft record in the 1st round they have a habit of selecting players with size. There play style is robust and physical thus leading me to believe they would value that in a player.

They do tend to draft players with a high skill level and smaller size outside the 1st round though. There recent trade of Hunwick also tell me they might not like smaller defenders.

As for Siemens I have heard he can go anywhere in the top 20. Some guys I have talked to are really high on him others not so much.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I tend to look at what teams Value in draft picks and what they value as a team as a whole.

Looking over Boston's recent draft record in the 1st round they have a habit of selecting players with size. There play style is robust and physical thus leading me to believe they would value that in a player.

They do tend to draft players with a high skill level and smaller size outside the 1st round though. There recent trade of Hunwick also tell me they might not like smaller defenders.

As for Siemens I have heard he can go anywhere in the top 20. Some guys I have talked to are really high on him others not so much.

They've never picked this high (Barring Seguin)

They're not going to pass on Murphy for a player they honestly don't need. Kaberle won't be around forever, maybe not even next season, and Murphy fills a role in the most perfect of ways.

Boston drafts size later on, top 10? They won't let Murphy slide. If New Kersey stays in that position they might not even have the chance.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
They've never picked this high (Barring Seguin)

They're not going to pass on Murphy for a player they honestly don't need. Kaberle won't be around forever, maybe not even next season, and Murphy fills a role in the most perfect of ways.

Boston drafts size later on, top 10? They won't let Murphy slide. If New Kersey stays in that position they might not even have the chance.

Seguin,Caron and Colborne are there last 3 first round picks. The last smallish player they drafted in the top 10 was Zach Hamil.

Not sure why you are getting so upset. I think I am right tough they won't be drafting Murphy that is just my gut feeling on that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad