Joel Quenneville

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I don't have anything against Gully, certainly not to the extent most members here do, but I don't hate this idea. But if he became available, the question is whether or not he'd want to coach here cause he'd no doubt have his pick of where he'd want to go.

I strongly believe Q is a better coach than Babcock.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

He’s making 6 now, would probably want more than Babcock’s 6.25. I can’t imagine Glen is making more than 1mil since it’s his first job (see blashill, 800k in Detroit). If people are making the argument that this team won’t buyout Brouwer for money reasons then I can’t see them ponying up Quenneville money for a coach.

I don’t hate Gulutzan with but he has another year left on his contract too, I’m also extremely against the idea of making an in season coaching change unless we’re firmly out of the playoff race.

Reactions: Cyrano

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

He’s making 6 now, would probably want more than Babcock’s 6.25. I can’t imagine Glen is making more than 1mil since it’s his first job (see blashill, 800k in Detroit). If people are making the argument that this team won’t buyout Brouwer for money reasons then I can’t see them ponying up Quenneville money for a coach.

I don’t hate Gulutzan with but he has another year left on his contract too, I’m also extremely against the idea of making an in season coaching change unless we’re firmly out of the playoff race.
It isn't Gulutzan's first job, but he's probably not making close to the same money, correct.

That said, who knows if Flames brass cares about that? Maybe they're happy to pay a coach with the number of Cups that Quenneville has.

I'd be willing to do it. Gulutzan seems like a good coach, but there is no real argument that anyone can make against Quenneville being better, as far as I can tell. He checks the boxes in terms of what management wants (possession, but exciting to watch) and as far as I know, he isn't too hard on his players, despite having a temper.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
It isn't Gulutzan's first job, but he's probably not making close to the same money, correct.

That said, who knows if Flames brass cares about that? Maybe they're happy to pay a coach with the number of Cups that Quenneville has.

I'd be willing to do it. Gulutzan seems like a good coach, but there is no real argument that anyone can make against Quenneville being better, as far as I can tell. He checks the boxes in terms of what management wants (possession, but exciting to watch) and as far as I know, he isn't too hard on his players, despite having a temper.

My mistake, I was under the impression he was only ever an assistant in Dallas. I agree Quenneville is a much better coach and I’d love to see him land here if he’s fired, even if it’s only so that he doesn’t land in Edmonton.

But I agree, we can’t be certain about the organizations wants/budget at that position. One thing I’ll say is Quenneville is going to want to go somewhere he thinks he can win. Apart from the enticement of getting to work with mcdavid, i can’t think of a reason he’d want to get involved in that top to bottom organizational mess in Edmonton

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Can't see the Flames ownership ponying up for Quenneville either. They are rather cheap when it comes to the off ice stuff. And at 6M+, there's a good chance Quenneville would make more than Treliving and Burke combined.

But no question he'd be an upgrade on Gulutzan.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I am all for it. I feel like our team is super overconfident in themselves. We need a hardass to bring the most out of this team(unfortunately). Plus he plays a high skill, high tempo game that would be great for our teams makeup.

He’s also not afraid to sit veteran players (ie Seabrook) that deserve to be sit.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I am all for it. I feel like our team is super overconfident in themselves. We need a hardass to bring the most out of this team(unfortunately). Plus he plays a high skill, high tempo game that would be great for our teams makeup.

He’s also not afraid to sit veteran players (ie Seabrook) that deserve to be sit.
Sounds like Hartley - who was tuned out by the players pretty damn quick.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012

I feel that Harley actually got more out of his team. The problem with Hartley is his inherently flawed system. He got every drop from that team though. They were a strong team mentally, with a never die attitude.

I like Gulutzan’s system. But he does not get the most out of his players and that’s why this team seems so mentally fragile imo. I feel like this team is okay dropping stinkers right now.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
If he's available in the summer there's no question we have to take him, but I wouldn't hire him midway through the season. He is probably the flat-out best coach of this entire era.

Jagr4President

Nov 16, 2017
Calgary
I agree with everyone and we should take a run at him. He uses the Defence effectively, makes everyone accountable, will change the line up and males the PP/PK better. I don't know if Calgary will pony up the cash, like a lot of people said.

Good luck to the flames vs LA tonight. Go flames go!

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't have anything against Gully, certainly not to the extent most members here do, but I don't hate this idea. But if he became available, the question is whether or not he'd want to coach here cause he'd no doubt have his pick of where he'd want to go.

I strongly believe Q is a better coach than Babcock.
Agreed 100% I think Q is the best coach in the NHL

Can't see the Flames ownership ponying up for Quenneville either. They are rather cheap when it comes to the off ice stuff. And at 6M+, there's a good chance Quenneville would make more than Treliving and Burke combined.

But no question he'd be an upgrade on Gulutzan.
You don't think the Flames had to pony up to land Burke? The guy is arguably the biggest name in management in the NHL

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
If you ever get a chance to land Quenneville you absolutely do it, and then laugh at the rest of the west. Young, underperforming team with untapped talent. He'd put us over the top, especially if we make the right roster moves.

GuitarGuy

Oct 3, 2017
Canada

In that case... why not just bring back Daryl Sutter? :laugh:

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008

Coach Q, is not as bad as Hartley, the current coaching staff is not going to take us anywhere. If you do hire coach Q, than you have to fire all the coaches from top to bottom and let him bring in his own coaches.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
In that case... why not just bring back Daryl Sutter? :laugh:

Daryl Sutter's style will not work will not work with this team, coach Q's style will work with this team because this team is similar to the Chicago Blackhawks. If you get a chance at coach Q, you go for it.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
I would rather stick with Gulutzan. I do not have anything against Quennevilles, other than a lot of questionable decisions with his bottom 6 and the likes but that's amply true with Gulutzan and just about every coaches in the league. I just don't see what's the point. If thing go wrong in more ways than one mid-season, he can replaced to give the team a spark by someone better or so.

I mean, the team as a whole is good. We need better depth at a few positions but that's really on the management to fix that. It took too long, but the coach more or less seem to now know who the best players are at defense and forward as well to a lesser extent. It's more likely than not another coach wouldn't and thus mess line usage up. His systems are above average too, I think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad