Speculation: Joel Farabee

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Josh Anderson + Jordan Harris/Justin Barron (both if you really want them) + WPG 1st 2024 for Farabee

Close to enough? I'd throw in a bit more from Montreal, maybe a Primeau-Peterson swap

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I think you've had this explained to you by myself and others in different threads, but.

1. No, not every Flyer was better. What are you talking about? They got identical performance from most of their young guys the year prior—Tippett and Frost had essentially the same output and flaws as the year before—while others like Konecny and Cates regressed massively by the end of the season. Only Flyer who looked demonstrably better, in terms of developing and correcting mistakes, was Cam York.

2. Some will say Torts is a bad coach, but I just think he's the wrong coach at the wrong time. He alienates and exhausts a lot of your roster while milking 10-15 more points out of it than it should attain. That's not what they as an organization need at all. They're bereft of talent and have been for more than a decade. There's nothing to build around other than one maybe who is two years away in a far-off land.

Teaching a bunch of middle 6 wingers how to BLAWK SHAWTS and PLAY DA RIGHT WAY is not going to turn them into elite talents. Which is what they actually need. So the whole Torts experience is a sideshow that doesn't get them closer to anything, it just keeps them in the miserable middle for longer.

And Briere ain't gonna fire his boss. Briere's job was contingent on him promising to keep Torts around. Which is the sort of f***ed up power dynamic you get in a badly-run company, but I digress—I think Briere himself would be removed if he attempted to bring a Torts firing to ownership.
Conversely, you see a lot of super talented young teams straight up suck ass (Ottawa, Buffalo, Anaheim, etc.) because they don't get out of their junior habits and playing like they're still in juniors.

When do you propose these middle six players finally start playing winning hockey?

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Conversely, you see a lot of super talented young teams straight up suck ass (Ottawa, Buffalo, Anaheim, etc.) because they don't get out of their junior habits and playing like they're still in juniors.

When do you propose these middle six players finally start playing winning hockey?

All of those teams you listed suck for different reasons. I basically said "the Flyers are trying to bake a cake with just butter, no flour" and you go "yeah so you're saying butter doesn't matter????"

You need all the ingredients. If you're doing something that prevents you from acquiring or retaining the most important ones, you should stop doing that.

Middle 6 wingers playing "winning hockey" doesn't f***ing mean anything if the team doesn't have enough talent to win. Period. There isn't some world where you're gonna Go Team! your way to a Cup, let alone a sustained contention window, with just buy-in and effort.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
All of those teams you listed suck for different reasons. I basically said "the Flyers are trying to bake a cake with just butter, no flour" and you go "yeah so you're saying butter doesn't matter????"

You need all the ingredients. If you're doing something that prevents you from acquiring or retaining the most important ones, you should stop doing that.

Middle 6 wingers playing "winning hockey" doesn't f***ing mean anything if the team doesn't have enough talent to win. Period. There isn't some world where you're gonna Go Team! your way to a Cup, let alone a sustained contention window, with just buy-in and effort.
Agree with the fact the team STILL, somehow 4 years later, is resistant to operate a proper rebuild and is/will pay for it with pure mediocrity.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Agree with the fact the team STILL, somehow 4 years later, is resistant to operate a proper rebuild and is/will pay for it with pure mediocrity.

Yup.

Like, if you want Torts there to make the lil guys GO HARD or whatever, fine. I don't love it, but fine.

But IF you're doing that, and you're going to play your way out of the top 5 in the draft every year, then you need to go for volume. Meaning you don't hem and haw over whether to trade Scott Laughton for a f***ing 1st rounder. And you don't even entertain the idea of signing Konecny: You start a bidding war and get all the loot you can. You might not even re-sign Tippett, if there was a 1st+ to be had there.

You should be loaded to the gills with high draft picks that you either make, with hopes one or two turn out game-changers, or you have to trade when game-changing talent becomes available. But just picking 12th and 27th every year doesn't do a ton to get you on the right track.

But they seem to think the "play the right way" thing is inherently tied to making playoff pushes, and are scared to trade the few valuable assets they have for fear of compromising that. Look, if the coach can't motivate the guys to develop good habits even without a potential Wild Card seed at the end of the string, what's the point of having him?

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad