Player Discussion Joel Eriksson Ek: The 2nd Act

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
How is that yuck?

Its less than 1.5m for 2 years for a 22yr old former first rounder who has shown very good flashes. At worst it should be a meh not a yuck :thumbu:
It's both salary and term that he hasn't come close to earning. Overpaying 4th liners by $500K obviously isn't as problematic as when you do it with good players, but it still isn't a good idea.

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
Ek had games last year where he was the one of the best players on the ice for the Wild. The potential is there. The consistency is not. He is just 22.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
im not a big JEE fan , he needs to put the puck in the back of the net. we don't need both rask & JEE so either JEE plays #4C or iowa. i believe kunin will play #3C and sturm will battle for #4C time. JEE's new contract is fine. i would trade him in a package for bracco.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
What JEE needs to do is play that game we saw him play for part of the second half of the season, and like Dan just said, finish those opportunities he created.

He plays a good game, but he would be twice the player if he could put in 20 goals.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Oil fan coming in peace. Would you guys consider a Puljujarvi for JEE swap? I think Pulju could really flourish under the tutelage of Koivu. I think Pulju has a higher ceiling, but Ek is the better player now.

Thoughts?

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Oil fan coming in peace. Would you guys consider a Puljujarvi for JEE swap? I think Pulju could really flourish under the tutelage of Koivu. I think Pulju has a higher ceiling, but Ek is the better player now.

Thoughts?

Kind of concerning for Puljujarvi because Ek ain’t great. Sorry, I wouldn’t do that trade. Our center depth is horrible.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Wouldn't go near Ek for Puljujarvi. Hard pass.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Going to catch flak but I would take PoolParty for Ek straight up for sure. To say Puljujarvi is a bust is to say that Ek is a bust. He is a year younger than Ek and has shown flashes. If its too late for him to turn it around its far to late for Ek. Like to add that I love Ek and think he will be a great piece for us going forward.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
What JEE needs to do is play that game we saw him play for part of the second half of the season, and like Dan just said, finish those opportunities he created.

He plays a good game, but he would be twice the player if he could put in 20 goals.

It's kind of hard to put up 20 goals when you're stuck on the third line/fourth line with guys like Foligno and Brown. Hartman might help, but he might be a flash in the pan. Get Ek up to the top 6 and keep him there and see.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
who can you bump out of the top 6 to insert JEE? i wouldn't do it. i just don't think JEE is talented enough (currently) to feed parise or zucker etc. if koivu was out i'd bump kunin before JEE but that's just me.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I wouldn't hang up no the idea, personally. I think Puljujarvi has the higher ceiling, but the center versus winger thing sort of balances that out. I don't think either guy becomes what people hoped for when they were drafted and both likely end up as 3rd liners.

If Boudreau is serious about Kunin at center (which I'm not all that sold on, but I guess we'll see) swapping Ek for Puljujarvi makes some sense to me as a change-o-scenery deal.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Kunin must be damn good in practice, because I can't see where he deserves all the praise he gets from the coaching staff from his game showings.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Kunin must be damn good in practice, because I can't see where he deserves all the praise he gets from the coaching staff from his game showings.
Not to disparage his play, but I think his work ethic has earned him some serious brownie points with coaches and management.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
It's kind of hard to put up 20 goals when you're stuck on the third line/fourth line with guys like Foligno and Brown. Hartman might help, but he might be a flash in the pan. Get Ek up to the top 6 and keep him there and see.
Ek never really played with Brown. His 3 most common linemates were Foligno, Kunin, and Greenway. He played over 200 minutes with all 3. Coyle and Niederreiter were next on the list. Ek wasn't the guy getting stuck with shitty players, he was the shitty player others were getting stuck with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad