Player Discussion Joel Eriksson Ek: The 2nd Act

guitarhunterdude

Jan 2, 2017
'Sota
I would have totally agreed with you, even a month or two ago. But his confidence level in the puck handling department has improved noticeably. He has an excellent release on his shot. And he's starting to drive play into the zone, creating a lot of space for his wingers. If he has one more level to reach in his overall game, I firmly believe he's a strong 2C.

I could see some value in him + Fiala in transition this point, I guess. Just don't see him being a stylistic match with either Kap or Fiala once the puck's in the zone.

Kinda hoping Boldy can step into that kind of role and be an offensive catalyst on Ek's line, should we give them more offensive deployment. Not that he's really a grinder but assuming he fills out a little more in the next couple years, dude should be able to handle himself in the corners better than Kap or Fiala, which would be pretty awesome to see next to Ek. That could be a genuinely dominant 2nd line, given Ek's current 5v5 numbers and assuming Boldy can develop into like a 50-60pt wing.

Reactions: Slotski

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Hartman should have more than 21 points by accident, playing with Kaprisov or Fiala if he's to be considered a better overall offensive threat than JEE. Remember Foligno has a career high 14 goals in a season.. And Greenway has not been a goal scorer at either the collegiate or NHL ranks. IMO, there's no doubt, JEE's assist numbers would be up considerably playing with a finisher.
Are we pretending that Hartman has played more than a handful of games with the skill players? Even with that said, check the assist totals. How is it even possible for a center to have 1000 minutes of ice-time and only have 10 assists? Why would you want a goal scorer like Kaprizov or Fiala to play with a guy that can't create offense?

Slotski

Jun 5, 2018
USA
Are we pretending that Hartman has played more than a handful of games with the skill players? Even with that said, check the assist totals. How is it even possible for a center to have 1000 minutes of ice-time and only have 10 assists? Why would you want a goal scorer like Kaprizov or Fiala to play with a guy that can't create offense?
You end up with a "handful" of assists when neither of your wingers are finishers.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
He's notably more confident with the puck this year (toe drags, etc...). I don't know if that translates to him needing to play with Fiala though. That GREEF lines is such an asset for us.

Reactions: Slotski

guitarhunterdude

Jan 2, 2017
'Sota
So, you're saying Foligno is a career finisher! Ah ok....got it. And thanks for taking the time to school me.
The point is that he's finishing an inordinate number of the opportunities given him this year. If the goals are low, it ain't because Foligno cant finish, it's a lack of total opportunities.

Slotski

Jun 5, 2018
USA
The point is that he's finishing an inordinate number of the opportunities given him this year. If the goals are low, it ain't because Foligno cant finish, it's a lack of total opportunities.
Well Foligno was given multiple chances to play with Eichel and O'Reilly in Buffalo and didn't score much. LOVE Foligno. IMO, he's the heart and soul of the Wild. He can score a bit....but he's not a finisher.
\

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
you guys think he has more to give offensively or will he be a 50ish point guy for the next few years? could he hit 70?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
you guys think he has more to give offensively or will he be a 50ish point guy for the next few years? could he hit 70?
He's been tried in a more offensive role, he just fits better in the defensive role.

He's got skills that give him counterpunch production, but offense doesn't come naturally to him at all.

I don't see him hitting 70.

Reactions: EXTRAS and mattihp

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
He has grown offensively quite a bit over the past two seasons and showed some new things this year, while I think there is still some more potential offense to his game, I think 70 is a challenge. He was a massive contributor all over the ice this year, extremely pleased with his season and hope he carries it into the next one.

P10p

May 15, 2012
He has vastly improved every year. I don't think 60-70 is out of the question.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
He'd need to be on a line with Boldy to have a chance at 70. Kap/Zucc are the wrong playstyle for JEE to do well (as we've seen). Greenway/Foligno just are skilled enough. Boldy is the skilled power FWD that fits with JEE's style.

I'm fine with JEE hovering around the 50p if he's a Selke quality d-zone play center.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He'd need to be on a line with Boldy to have a chance at 70. Kap/Zucc are the wrong playstyle for JEE to do well (as we've seen). Greenway/Foligno just are skilled enough. Boldy is the skilled power FWD that fits with JEE's style.

I'm fine with JEE hovering around the 50p if he's a Selke quality d-zone play center.
He is great as is. Don’t ever see him being an elite offensive C. Only realistic thing I would like to see him improve is his FO’s.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
He could produce more on the PP as well if they were running a competent system. Right now he just puts up screens and clears up rebounds. If they were to play a higher pressure diamond formation instead of the weird diamond/umbrella hybrid that would give Ek a chance to peel off the front of the net to be open for one touch passes to Kaprizov in the bumper or cross ice if teams over commit to stopping the one timer from the bumper. Probably a small drop in goals but could see a 10+ overall point increase with the man advantage if Ek, and the whole team, were running a better PP system.

Southern Minny

Nov 29, 2021
I'll just say EK has made big improvements every year, the guys been big in the playoffs the last 2 years. I think there is still room for his game to improve, IF he keeps the pace of improving up his contract is going to be very friendly in the future.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I'll just say EK has made big improvements every year, the guys been big in the playoffs the last 2 years. I think there is still room for his game to improve, IF he keeps the pace of improving up his contract is going to be very friendly in the future.
The problem I have with Ek is his inability to gel with offensive linemates. He only seems to be effective on lines that are grindy heavy forecheckers. Every playoff team does need a shutdown line like that though. Being able to open up matchups for the other 3 lines is a huge plus & he is a great asset to have locked up long term for ~$5M. I just don’t really know what his role looks like in 4 years. Is he paid $5M on a 3rd line or does he learn how to play a role similar to ROR?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The problem I have with Ek is his inability to gel with offensive linemates. He only seems to be effective on lines that are grindy heavy forecheckers. Every playoff team does need a shutdown line like that though. Being able to open up matchups for the other 3 lines is a huge plus & he is a great asset to have locked up long term for ~$5M. I just don’t really know what his role looks like in 4 years. Is he paid $5M on a 3rd line or does he learn how to play a role similar to ROR?
Who cares if it's called the 3rd line, or 2nd line, or checking line? He is damn good, scored goals with his excellent shot, and was one of the few guys who showed up in the playoffs. He, and the GREEFS play a different style of game that the Kap and Fiala lines, but we should not lose sight of the fact that they are very effective in their own right. Winning teams need to be able to play more than one style, and JEE is the core player on the team that allows us to compete well in grindy games.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Ek and Fiala spent a small chunk of time together, mostly with Foligno as their 3rd. They were actually outstanding but got only an 87% save percentage despite having good defensive numbers. Small sample size, but I don't doubt Ek can play an up tempo offensive style. He just didn't work specifically with Kaprizov and Zuccarello, that doesn't automatically rule him out from finding other offensive chemistry.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
JEE's production has increased in each of the last 5 seasons. Currently, he is on pace for 67 points this season. What is his ceiling?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Not sure what his ceiling is, but I'm willing to slot him next to Boldy and whoever else ends up on that line next year and see what happens.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
somewhere between 8'10", and 9'6" most likely.

So Zucc wearing a hat while sitting on Kap's shoulders?

rawImage.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 57special

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->