Joel Edmundson

stlweir

Sep 29, 2008
The Kamloops GM had glowing things to say about Edmundson as a leader, puck mover(?) and his toughness. Would anyone who has seen him play this year care to give an assessment?

EL Bandito

Mar 29, 2006
Edwardsville, IL
He's my favorite LHD prospect in our system outside of Cole. I'd say those comments are dead on. The puck moving bit at this point would relate more to moving the puck out of the defensive zone rather than creatively moving the puck around offensively. He sticks up for his teammates all the time. He's physically punishing when he gets pissed and can fight well. I think he's got some untapped offensive potential and am looking forward to seeing what he can do on Kamloops who are a good offensive club. He's got a bomb of a shot that easily gets up 95+mph as well. I think if he continues developing and reaches his potential, he could be a nasty Derian Hatcher type of dman with better skating but bringing a bit less offensively to the table.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
He's my favorite LHD prospect in our system outside of Cole. I'd say those comments are dead on. The puck moving bit at this point would relate more to moving the puck out of the defensive zone rather than creatively moving the puck around offensively. He sticks up for his teammates all the time. He's physically punishing when he gets pissed and can fight well. I think he's got some untapped offensive potential and am looking forward to seeing what he can do on Kamloops who are a good offensive club. He's got a bomb of a shot that easily gets up 95+mph as well. I think if he continues developing and reaches his potential, he could be a nasty Derian Hatcher type of dman with better skating but bringing a bit less offensively to the table.

He has flat out pounded a couple folks this year. His first scrap after someone dumped his teammate on the face off. He set the tone right away. I like him alot. May be a good guy to put with Pietrangelo as his defensive partner.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
He has a Garrison type bomb of a shot and, like Garrison, emerged as a defensive dman first and foremost. Honestly, Edmundson reaching that kind of potential would probably be a bigger deal to the Blues than even someone like Rattie reaching his. Meaning, if I could have a 40-goal scoring Rattie or Edmundson plays like Garrison did last season, I choose the latter based on team boost.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
He has a Garrison type bomb of a shot and, like Garrison, emerged as a defensive dman first and foremost. Honestly, Edmundson reaching that kind of potential would probably be a bigger deal to the Blues than even someone like Rattie reaching his. Meaning, if I could have a 40-goal scoring Rattie or Edmundson plays like Garrison did last season, I choose the latter based on team boost.

Well let's hope we get both;)

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Edmundson sounds like Duncan Sieman's, a prospect that I really wanted. I have wanted a big physical dman who can fight for a long time. Probably why I like Polak so much.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Edmundson sounds like Duncan Sieman's, a prospect that I really wanted. I have wanted a big physical dman who can fight for a long time. Probably why I like Polak so much.

Siemens has more offensive talent than Edmundson. Just to be clear, comparing him to Garrison derives from the 95+mph shot and the defensive dman profile they both have. Edmundson will have to figure out how to turn that shot into a true weapon and it's a longshot he will. At least he has the velocity, just needs to develop the accuracy. If he developed into an NHLer and was paired with Pietrangelo, PK defenses would probably focus much more on Petro giving Edmundson more time and space.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO

I would have to politely disagree. While I think the blues would benefit having a solid LHD in Edmundson, I don't think he'll help as much as a player who would score 40 goals. The blues haven't had a solid goal scorer since brad boyes, and even then he was inconsistent, and didn't stay hot for too long. A Garrison-type Edmundson would help, but with petro, shatty, and Cole as a LHD, I don't think the value is there, really.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I would have to politely disagree. While I think the blues would benefit having a solid LHD in Edmundson, I don't think he'll help as much as a player who would score 40 goals. The blues haven't had a solid goal scorer since brad boyes, and even then he was inconsistent, and didn't stay hot for too long. A Garrison-type Edmundson would help, but with petro, shatty, and Cole as a LHD, I don't think the value is there, really.

Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk are both right handed

stlweir

Sep 29, 2008
With a 1 goal. 3assist game Edmundson has 2 goals, 4,assists in 6 games since being traded to Kamloops.

Looking at the high scoring Kamloops stats I see that Edmundson is tied for most points on the team by a D man. With limited offense coming from the D it appears Edmundson is being asked to fill more of an offensive roll. So far so good.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->