Joel Edmundson - Moose Jaw Wariors, WHL

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Yeah, he'll get drafted. Big, tough and physical blueliner. Ok skater and can make a pass coming out of the zone. I might like him a bit more than others, but I still think he has a solid future as a prospect.

arsmaster*

I saw him as a 2nd rounder in a mock draft on here.

Not bad numbers, skates, and is physical.

I dont see him as a 2nd rounder, but 5-7 is a possibility.

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
Little McIlrath

I hear he is rising up the draft charts of late

Rising, yes. From 69 (mid) to 33 (final) CSS rank. Little, yes again. His weight is relatively light to his height, 6' 4" 191 lbs. The good news, he's grown as a two-way d-man (scored twice as many points in the second half of the season vs the first half) and as a fighter (vs Siemens & vs Kessey), without yet having filled out physically.

I imagine at the age of 22 he'll be an imposing 6'4" 220 lbs blueliner, and through that lense I forsee him perhaps even surpassing in potential the physically mature McIlrath of today.

_______Edmundson_____________McIlrath
Edmundson00050855.JPG
DylanMcIlrath.JPG

brtriad

Jan 18, 2009
The Loop
Joel Edmundson - Defensmen - WHL Moose Jaw

Can anyone who has seen him play extensively give a scouting report? He's got great size at 6'4 1/2, 193. How is his skating? Foot speed? Checking? Stick work? Point shot? Offensive upside?

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
Can anyone who has seen him play extensively give a scouting report? He's got great size at 6'4 1/2, 193. How is his skating? Foot speed? Checking? Stick work? Point shot? Offensive upside?

Do you listen to Guy & Dean of The Pipeline Show? (fantastic stuff)

Joel was a guest last night.
You may find the audio of interest- http://thepipelineshow.blogspot.com/2011/05/tuesday-recap-may-24th.html#more

http://thepipelineshow.blogspot.com/2011/05/tuesday-recap-may-24th.html#more

brtriad

Jan 18, 2009
The Loop

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I like his size and his skating for a guy that big, but I don't necessarily see what some other organizations see in him. I don't think he should be a 2nd round pick like some people have him ranked as.

He's only an ok puck mover, he doesn't have a great shot or the ability to get that shot off in time to be dangerous. He's just safe...a big body with good reach. I don't see the upside that some others do.

Yes, I know that a guy that big that can skate pretty well is a commodity at the NHL level, but he just doesn't do a ton for me.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Joel Edmundson

Edmundson is a big, tall and tough stay at home defenseman. He draws some comparison to Dylan Mcilrath, what do people on here think of him who have seen him play?

All I have really seen are some fight videos, and he is one tough kid for sure.

Second round pick worthy, 3rd round or what? Any NHLer comparisons?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
#13 Joel Edmundson – D – Moose Jaw Warriors

- Edmundson has something you can’t teach and that’s size. He is very effective defending his area on the ice because of that size and the ability to push players around. He also uses his reach very well, taking away passing lanes and poking pucks away. He’s strong along the boards. He moves well for someone 6’4, but could still use some overall jump in his skating. He is very passive offensively and is an ok, but not great passer. Let’s say his passing is passable. He has a bomb of a shot but takes much too long to unload it. I wouldn’t be shocked if he did score 8-10 goals next season, vastly improving his offensive production, but it won’t be something that ever carries him to the next level of hockey. He’s not afraid to scrap and is an imposing figure on the blueline overall. When picturing a WHL defenseman, Edmundson fits the bill. I know for a fact that many NHL teams and scouting organizations like him much more than I do, so I won’t be shocked to see him go off the board earlier than I would personally take him.

NHL comparable: Ryan O’Byrne

Top end potential: 4th or 5th defender

Pick prediction: Late 2nd round

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.com/2011/06/my-top-whl-draft-eligibles-part-two.html

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad