HF Habs: Joel Bouchard: The BeauCHar Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
It's too bad he doesn't go into detail but it does make sense that someone older wouldn't be a fan as this was talked about a lot last year in that Bouchard's style perhaps doesn't mesh well with vets. If you look at the results, he's clearly had issues with vets but the bulk of the prospects were playing their best hockey over a period of time. Then again he has insights to which we don't.
Yes, he was known to make some threats to some kids with BB. But most junior coaches do.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
I hadn't heard that, not a big follower of the Q.
Well, they all do. Ben Groulx was one of the worsts. The stars who made the show loved him. And the 3rd and 4th liners HATED him.

Fans of BB on some local forums or social media groups had brought up the issue when he was named with the Habs.

Maybe he changed, who knows.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
I really like Dale Weise and I want to know his opinion. But that's all this is, it's only his opinion. No controversy here.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
What sort of threats if you don't mind me asking ?
The usual, if I'm to believe the posters : threatening them of being sent down, have their icetime reduced,etc. Playing on their psyche. I wish I had kept them. But all junior coaches do that.

Old stuff that had me doubt, if you recall, his hiring in Laval. In fact, up until this season, I had always thought of Bouchard as a poser. Likes to look good in front of media.

His team's progression and specifically the prospects has turned me around.

Weise was there when things weren't going well in Laval, is that correct?

Reactions: Andrei79

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
The usual, if I'm to believe the posters : threatening them of being sent down, have their icetime reduced,etc. Playing on their psyche. I wish I had kept them. But all junior coaches do that.

Old stuff that had me doubt, if you recall, his hiring in Laval. In fact, up until this season, I had always thought of Bouchard as a poser. Likes to look good in front of media.

His team's progression and specifically the prospects has turned me around.

Weise was there when things weren't going well in Laval, is that correct?

He was there in Bouchard's first two years although he played only 3 games the first year. The 2nd year was the year Varone/Barber/Peca were going against Bouchard.

Considering Weise has been praising Therrien and bashing Bouchard, I personally take it as a good sign that Weise is bashing him.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I do think you are right, but another factor is that he is getting a lot more prospects to work with and better ones too.

Yes, Bouchard has actual prospects to work with, and better ones. too.

But it's not the debate here. It's Weise's comments that he would never let him near the prospects. Which Weise may be speaking from what he's seen in his time in Laval last year. But it doesn't jive with the results. And not to mention, other players Bouchard has coached have sung his praises, including a vet like Alzner.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Yes, Bouchard has actual prospects to work with, and better ones. too.

But it's not the debate here. It's Weise's comments that he would never let him near the prospects. Which Weise may be speaking from what he's seen in his time in Laval last year. But it doesn't jive with the results. And not to mention, other players Bouchard has coached have sung his praises, including a vet like Alzner.
I didnt followed weise carreer in Laval. Only things i would say, he seems to be pissed off about Bouchard because he didnt play that much.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Bouchards' frequent conflicts with veteran players had me sceptical of him as late as last season, but not anymore. Clearly, there are many vets on this years' and last years' Laval roster that have absolutely no issue playing for him. They are often among the most hard-working and productive players on the team.

He seems to be setting a certain standard for his veteran players, as is his right as the head coach. From what I've seen from Weise, the guy was completely washed up. He'd have problems cracking Lavals' top 9 this season. I mean, Yannick Veilleux is a better player today than Weise was last year.

Now, it all doesn't mean that Bouchard would be a good NHL head coach. Maybe he wouldn't. But as a developmental coach he's clearly an asset.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Bouchards' frequent conflicts with veteran players had me sceptical of him as late as last season, but not anymore. Clearly, there are many vets on this years' and last years' Laval roster that have absolutely no issue playing for him. They are often among the most hard-working and productive players on the team.

He seems to be setting a certain standard for his veteran players, as is his right as the head coach. From what I've seen from Weise, the guy was completely washed up. He'd have problems cracking Lavals' top 9 this season. I mean, Yannick Veilleux is a better player today than Weise was last year.

Now, it all doesn't mean that Bouchard would be a good NHL head coach. Maybe he wouldn't. But as a developmental coach he's clearly an asset.
When you are 20 yo. Maybe these youngs players who believe at the NHL, are maybe more incline to accept the sort of challenge bouchard is offering. After 28 yo and +, you are more like. Calm down coach, don’t need babysittin

expy

Nov 2, 2010
I hate that he didn't go deeper into what he means. It also sounds like Dale is very bitter towards the whole management so idk.
I wouldn’t be surprised if the sentiment runs across the entire locker room.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
I thought the best way to develop a prospect was play him in his wrong position, play him with terrible players, tell him to fight, and tell him he'll never be what he is at the NHL level so he might as well not play his game?

And then when they bust, say he was never good in the first place?
That's the way we've always done it. Oh and bring them up early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->