Prospect Info: Joel Blomqvist, goaltender (2nd round, #52 overall, 2020)

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The more I think about it, the more I'm coming around on the goalie picks, especially if the idea for the near future is to groom a stream of good young goalies who can periodically challenge for the starter job when our current starter(s) get close to getting paid.

Or when this fanbase chases them out of town.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Clark is like the high priest of goalies so if it’s true he was pounding table for Blomqvist, then I do put stock in that.
Would be nice to get a decent asset from Vancouver using Blomqvist as part of a trade package possibly later this season or next.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Neck and shoulders above the competition.. Who's avy is this going to be?

blomqvist.jpg

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
He doesn’t have The Finnish Look. Swedish?

About 5% of Finland's population are Swedish first speakers and identify as Finno-Swedish or Swedish. Given the surname and that he was born in a majority Swedish speaking part of Finland, I'd guess he's one of them.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I find it hard to get at all excited for prospects while this team is in the stage it's in because the odds of this guy being here is slim. Not that I want these days to come sooner rather than later, but it was fun drafting guys and knowing that they were going to be a part of the fold, and not part of a trade for a depth winger or defenseman at the deadline one of these years.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Stoat

Jan 5, 2014
Oulu
Kärpät goalie coach Ari Hilli has a great track record developing goalies. Best ones being Niklas Bäckström, Pekka Rinne and Tim Thomas. Done a great job with Colorado prospect Justus Annunen for the past two years as well.

FTFY

Also, I wouldn't give too much credit about Thomas as he was quite good goalie before joining Kärpät. But I would add Vehviläinen (CBJ prospect).

For not going too much out of topic, I think Blomqvist has quite good potential. Based on the two matches last week I saw, I feel like he's way more calm than Annunen at his age. He sees the puck pretty well and his positioning is definitely one of his best qualities. That's probably why he can be so calm between the pipes. But he's still so young and I've only seen 2 games this season and 2 games last season (that I don't even remember) that anything can happen. But I think he's a good gamble at 2nd round.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Any chance we can bring him up for a few games...try him out...put some pressure on him...see how he does...ruin him?

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
Looks like Blomqvist came in relief last night and didn't do much better than the starter - he allowed 4 goals on 21 shots. Hermes lost 7-3; they don't play again until 10/16.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
We'll be lucky if he plays a game in Pittsburgh when he's 22 years old. Hard to be excited for a prospect if we're not going to see him for at least 4 years. Sid will be 37 by then.

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
having a great AHL season. currently top 5 at his position. I snagged him just now in a fantasy hockey dynasty league. Pens fans, what are we thinking about his outlook? makes the show next season or?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Depends on how much we love signing dogshit and expensive NHL starters who we overplay for 45 games a season.

In other words, do we still have Sullivan next year?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
having a great AHL season. currently top 5 at his position. I snagged him just now in a fantasy hockey dynasty league. Pens fans, what are we thinking about his outlook? makes the show next season or?
He's set to win the rocket, vezina, and golden glove next season. You should add him asap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad