Prospect Info: Joel Blomqvist, goaltender (2nd round, #52 overall, 2020)

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
The Pens had plenty of issues with Fleury for years. He was great in the 2008 playoffs when we lost to the Wings. He was good enough in 2009, and pretty terrible for several years after.

We certainly had issues with Fleury, but we always knew who our goalie was and who it will be. We had that one year of Vokoun but otherwise no one has challenged Fleury since Murr, and the one to challenge Murr is another of our drafted prospect. I would much rather internally drafted goalies be challenging each other and battling for the top spot rather than searching the FA like the Flyers did with Bryzgalov and Mason and god knows who else.

Philly's goalie issues compared to ours are night and day

They have had the most starting goalies in the shortest amount of time than any other team in the league

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Honestly, can JR do any worse drafting goalies than he has with forwards or defensemen?

EDIT: Okay, sure . . . yes, he can, but that's not the point. :D

Reactions: Gurglesons

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
To be fair we drafted Murr and Jarry fairly close together. And that worked out. If I remember Jarry was the better prospect in his draft year.

Reactions: Ryder71

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
From HP.com's Black Bible:

"Joel Blomqvist is a technically refined goalie with some of the better skating mechanics featured in this draft. He has a very narrow stance, and understands how to make rapid micro-adjustments in order to correct for an angle that he initially failed to pick up on. His skating and stance allow him to move laterally at an excellent level, allowing him to make difficult one-timer saves. His adjustments, blend seamlessly into his fluidity between movements... His ability to make high-end saves off of lateral passes thanks to his side-to-side movement, and his ability to make recovery saves thanks to his ability to micro-adjust, give him the foundational base that you look for when breaking down the highest percentage of goals that go in, in the NHL.

Another area that we look for that’s extremely important is the glove hand and that’s another element of his game that shines. He keeps good positioning and is one of the best in this class at tracking shots labelled in the top corner on his glove side. His catching consistency was fantastic in our viewings. His tracking doesn’t just extend to his glove though. He’s excellent at remaining calm without throwing himself out of a play.

Blomqvist was also one of the better goalies we saw this season during breakaways. His poise and hockey sense help him form a net presence despite not being a very big netminder. His refined skill can be seen in his butterfly as well. He can transition in and out of the movement very quickly, and it was extremely rare to see him beat five hole due ton his stick positioning. His rebound control was a byproduct of how refined his movements are as well. He’s very good at staying compact so that he can fully extend rapidly. His reflexes compliment his skillset, and make it very difficult to beat him in high-danger areas directly in-front of him.

Goalies at his age need to improve everywhere but the areas that need the most improvement include his blocker side when he’s extending outward to his side, and how quickly he can rotate his glove down to take shots that are ankle level. This specific area was where he let in the most low danger goals in our viewings."

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
It's really bad if he's letting in low shots...but not getting blasted high glove would be interesting

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
From HP.com's Black Bible:

Another area that we look for that’s extremely important is the glove hand and that’s another element of his game that shines. He keeps good positioning and is one of the best in this class at tracking shots labelled in the top corner on his glove side. His catching consistency was fantastic in our viewings. His tracking doesn’t just extend to his glove though. He’s excellent at remaining calm without throwing himself out of a play.

Giving Murray an extra kick as he walks out the door.

IMO the only issue with this pick is we won't be able to trade a 19-20 year old goaltender for anything at either of the next two deadlines whereas we may have been able to trade a prospect from another position. In that sense it's a waste. We may look back on this in like 7 years and say it's the reason our rebuild is going so smoothly.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I see nothing wrong with this pick. There aren't any next ones in the system of any significance and add a couple of solid goalie prospects isn't a bad thing in an area that is super thin right now with Larmi and whatever hope anyone has in D'Orio.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Giving Murray an extra kick as he walks out the door.

IMO the only issue with this pick is we won't be able to trade a 19-20 year old goaltender for anything at either of the next two deadlines whereas we may have been able to trade a prospect from another position. In that sense it's a waste. We may look back on this in like 7 years and say it's the reason our rebuild is going so smoothly.
He's gonna unfollow you on instagram and tell you as you sip your coffee that you're not Pixies.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
To be fair we drafted Murr and Jarry fairly close together. And that worked out. If I remember Jarry was the better prospect in his draft year.
Murray and Jarry were drafted in different years; these most recent goalie picks we are talking about were picked in the same year, one round apart.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Murray and Jarry were drafted in different years; these most recent goalie picks we are talking about were picked in the same year, one round apart.

I knew that. Without looking it up, a year apart right? I meant close in a year apart. And again, without looking it up, Jarry was if I am remembering correctly the higher rated prospect.

StroShow

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
FWIW Vancouver absolutely loved Blomqvist and had been trying to trade into the 2nd to get him desperately.

Vancouver Athletic writer Thomas Drance: Vancouver rated Blomqvist as being every bit as good a goaltending prospect as 2020 Nashville Predators first-round pick Yaroslav Askarov.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
I knew that. Without looking it up, a year apart right? I meant close in a year apart. And again, without looking it up, Jarry was if I am remembering correctly the higher rated prospect.
Yes, Jarry was a mid 2nd rd pick, Murray toward the end of the 3rd.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
If there was no one they really liked, they could just trade the pick for Lias Andersson. That would have been better than drafting a random goalie.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
If there was no one they really liked, they could just trade the pick for Lias Andersson. That would have been better than drafting a random goalie.
Jarry was drafted 44th overall.

Pettersson 38th
Dumoulin 51st
Zucker 59th
Letang 62nd
Guentzel 77th
Rust 80th
Murray 83rd
Marino 154th
Hornqvist 230th

Dangerous to assume anything past the 1st round is meaningless.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
FWIW Vancouver absolutely loved Blomqvist and had been trying to trade into the 2nd to get him desperately.

Vancouver Athletic writer Thomas Drance: Vancouver rated Blomqvist as being every bit as good a goaltending prospect as 2020 Nashville Predators first-round pick Yaroslav Askarov.

Yeah I was reading about this this morning and was about to post the same thing. In addition I guess Vancouver's goaltending coach Ian Clark (who has worked with Markstrom, Schneider and Bobrovskiy among others) is pretty well-regarded and really wanted Blomqvist. I guess what most people say about Clark is that if he thinks a goaltender is going to be a good one... he's more than likely correct.

I can't help but laugh that they went back to back on goaltenders in this draft. You'd think that would especially aggravate me and I suppose to an extent it does. But as someone pointed out earlier... I hate having to go out and pay for goaltenders even worse. And the team has been pretty successful cycling new talent into that position for years so this is just a continuation of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad