Prospect Info: Joel Blomqvist, goaltender (2nd round, #52 overall, 2020)

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Annoyed just because. We desperately need center prospects and I wanted one. No idea if there was one available worth taking, but I want to be mad.

the only thing that would be annoying is if they didn’t take the best rated player available on their board...if it’s a goalie, so be it...

Reactions: shaler79

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
Our goalie pipeline is pretty barren and the organization obviously puts a lot of importance on the position, and rightfully so. Jarry's contract is going to be up by the time he's ready to contribute so it'll be nice to have options in case Jarry regresses at all

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
At this point in the draft even skaters are 3 sometimes 4 years away so I think you just weigh your draft board vs system needs. The pens only have like one goalie in the system so I'm not shocked.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Same. I know it's partly irrational, but I'm just not a big goalie proponent. While it's obviously a valuable position, I just think it's much easier to acquire a competent goalie for relatively less value than it is to land a high end scorer or a top pairing defenseman, so I prefer using high draft picks on the chance of the latter.

case in point, Matt Murray for a 2nd and a meh prospect.

there is obviously value in quality cheap goaltending, but that applies to other positions as well. Whatever. Hope this kid is a stud.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
Since the Crosby era, the pens haven't really had goalie issues, which is the opposite of the flyers (unless carter hart is the real deal). I'd love to keep the 15 year tradition of effortlessly acquiring/drafting decent goalies while they continue a seemingly endless search

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
He seems like a really solid goalie pick. Ya, its not flashy like a forward would be, but it seems like good value.

Reactions: domaug

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
the only thing that would be annoying is if they didn’t take the best rated player available on their board...if it’s a goalie, so be it...

Don’t disagree but I don’t value goalies as highly. I’m also just a random dude on a message board so...

Reactions: Andy99

The Grim Reaper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 18, 2017
South Philly
Since the Crosby era, the pens haven't really had goalie issues, which is the opposite of the flyers (unless carter hart is the real deal). I'd love to keep the 15 year tradition of effortlessly acquiring/drafting decent goalies while they continue a seemingly endless search

Right? Not like we’re getting a Crosby/Malkin center in the second round. I’d prefer not to have to worry about goalies. People normally overrate draft picks on HFB’s, anyway. I would have preferred a defenseman, but this goalie seems solid early on in his career.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
Right? Not like we’re getting a Crosby/Malkin center in the second round. I’d prefer not to have to worry about goalies. People normally overrate draft picks on HFB’s, anyway. I would have preferred a defenseman, but this goalie seems solid early on in his career.

Agreed. Also this hopefully will further motivate our current prospects in Larmi and D'orio and to some extenet Desmith whom im not sure is a prospect anymore.

Reactions: The Grim Reaper

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I am underwhelmed, more at the position than the player.

I rather have one of the best goalies in the draft over the 20th best Center or defenseman. At the very least you are getting one of the top prospects for his position. Murray helped win us two Cups. I believe goalie is the most important position on the ice. When Fleury was younger and played well we reached the Cup Finals two years in a row. After that he started having confidence issues come playoff time and we had no chance no matter how good the surrounding cast was around him.

Without good goaltending your team can't win. With good goaltending you can beat any team. For example back in 96 Pens team was way better than Florida but the goalie stood on his head and beat a powerhouse. There best forward couldn't even be in the Pens top 6 that year. I am fine with the pick. Pens have really good goalie scouts. If this kid can be the starting goalie some day that would be well worth the pick.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The one position I didn't want us to draft with our 1st pick. :laugh: Cool.

Well, in three years we can trade Jarry and this dude can man the net for 3 or 4 years.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
What’s his status there in Karpat? Starting temporarily due to injury? Will he make WJC team?
Justus Annunen (COL) returned from our mandatory military service and wasn't available, and Patrik Rybar was injured.
Blomqvist started both games well and the team also played without the usual hesitant style a team plays whenever their main guy(s) is not guarding the net.
He's decent for sure. After Annunen leaves for COL, he's for sure going to back up Rybar.

Reactions: Jacob

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
If its what we had on our board I am fine with it. Everyone always like's to see position players but you gotta go with your scouts, thats why they are there.

Reactions: CrosbyMalkin

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Considering these players are three or four years away I like this pick. Arguably the 2hd best goalie in the draft and we sure as well weren't getting Askarov.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
The Pens had plenty of issues with Fleury for years. He was great in the 2008 playoffs when we lost to the Wings. He was good enough in 2009, and pretty terrible for several years after.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->