Player Discussion Joel Armia

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Well, you should factor in that 29 pts came last year and he is age 25. He is just touching his prime years. Are we saying he is a legit top 6 forward? No. But he addresses a need on RW, has great size and decent skill. At age 25, he will get more opportunities on our lineup and it’s up to him to take this potential increase in ice time and run with it.

His potential wont increase if nobody is traded in the bottom 6 of the habs , because right now Byron Danault Lekhonen Hudon , Scherbak should be over him easily. Armia is a 4th liner right now.

Reactions: vokiel and Zorba

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Any guesses on his next contract? He would still be RFA next year, is eligible for arbitration but he hasn't proven much so I don't think Armia has much leverage. Maybe a one year deal at around $2M?

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
Ahh maybe if the philosophy in Montreal changes drastically, but usually player's scoring stats go down in Montreal.

Normally I would agree with you. If we were to acquire a top 6 forward, I would wager that his production would go down. Here though, we have a history of giving bottom 6ers prime opportunities and seeing them thrive because of that. Byron, Weise, and Danault are good examples of that.

I have a good feeling about Armia. I watched a lot of Jets games after the Christmas break last season, definetly more than Habs games. Armia is good. Maybe not a top 6 forward, but I'd say a 3rd line/2nd line tweener for sure.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Well, you should factor in that 29 pts came last year and he is age 25. He is just touching his prime years. Are we saying he is a legit top 6 forward? No. But he addresses a need on RW, has great size and decent skill. At age 25, he will get more opportunities on our lineup and it’s up to him to take this potential increase in ice time and run with it.
That's the disagreement I have. I don't see a need on the Right Wing going with Gallagher, Shaw, Scherbak and Lehkonen, McCarron and Byron being able to fill in the role. We kinda already have an over-abundance of wingers. So I don't know, if there are more changes to come like trading Scherbak or Lehkonen, I'll see Armia making a little more sense in this line up.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Watch this guy get a chance with some skilled players and put up career numbers next year!
He had this chance already Belial, Winnipeg had a great team last year and the years before as well. Much better team than here if you ask me.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Watch this guy get a chance with some skilled players and put up career numbers next year!
Lol
I guess it will be on an another team. We don’t have skill especially at the C position.
You’d be excited if the Habs brought back Dagenais

Goldmember

Feb 3, 2013
Fin
Armia is a really really good player. I am surprised they let him go. I actually think that with top6 minutes he has potential for 30 goals. I bet he will score over 20 goals atleast.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Armia is a good player. His floor is 3rd line, but I think with more opportunity in a worse team he could blossom and become a solid 2nd line 50 point forward who plays an active power game. Middle 6 level is a reasonable expectation. At times he even looks like a first liner, but those are just blips as he doesn't quite have the finish/touch, hockey sense and offensive vision to make those plays/get into those areas consistently. Someone said he's like a winger version of Eller, and that isn't a bad comparison.

Like has been said already, he's a great forechecker. Hard worker, good skater, strong in cycle, in battles and on the PK. Good size, active stick, good reach with and without the puck. Has soft hands and can really dangle.

It doesn't solve the problems in terms of center ice or goalscoring, but it's a good and useful piece. Especially for a forward group that is so small in stature, it's a good addition.

Reactions: Treb and vokiel

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
And why would that be??? If he has sooo much great potential he would have already, the guy was drafted in 2011 just before Beaulieu, not in the last 2 years.
Nobody said he did. We took on some cap(which we wouldn't even use) to get assets. That is a good trade.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He's never put up more than 29 points in his career. I'm not sure where your optimism comes from.

He's played 1 full season in the NHL. The season before that he missed 25 games to injury. Before that he split time between the NHL and AHL. So we don't really know what we have. Last year he put up 29 pts, the previous season he was on pace for 27 pts. He just turned 25 less then 30 days ago, so we have someone that's been improving but on a good team didn't get much TOI, now with a bad team he's either going to show more or he's not. We gave up nothing for some money, a mid and a late pick and got a young winger that could be on the uptick and a player that might help with the transition for our 3rd overall pick in a year or two.

Reactions: Redux91 and HKbleu
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad