Player Discussion: Joel Armia - Part II

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Honestly guys I think Armia’s role on the 3B line with Perreault and Hendricks was the best gig he has had since he has been in the NHL. Hendricks can’t skate any more but he has decent hands and he insured they got the softest match ups. Perreault is a godsend and they were always dangerously overmatching their opponent which allowed Joel to produce. Minutes were the only issue.

Now he is back to eating the toughest match ups on a shut down line. More responsibility now but points will be tougher to come by. Either way I love watching Joel play and that line will be a treat to watch.

Posters here love to complain about Hendricks, but you can't watch a national telecast without this signing being applauded unanimously by every broadcaster.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Posters here love to complain about Hendricks, but you can't watch a national telecast without this signing being applauded unanimously by every broadcaster.

I know my post comes across as bashing but Matt has done his job. I stand by my my assessment of his skating but he is playing his role. Matt is clearly a team first leader and that is never a bad thing to have on a young team. Keeping it real though there is a reason he was still available to us on September 1st for $700k.

jesui

Jan 21, 2011
everywhere
Many of these bottom six players like, Armia, Hendricks, Lowry and Copp
are all guys that falls to that "easily replaceble" gategory like some people like to say.

But I don't think like that.
They all have their unique specialites, be it big heart and grit, ability to lift teammates spirits up like hendricks or be a wizard with the puck in tight places and keep the plays alive like armia for example.

The Jets have done a good job to bring these pieces together and it shows in the standings. Maybe not so much in their personal points but in the overall effectiness of the jets game.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Perreault had been playing with Armia since his return in November.

If it hadn't been for the Scheifele injury, Frenchie would still be playing with him.
I'd much rather see Little as the center.
MP Little Armia would be a very good line and so defensively sound. If you can't match Lowry's line against the other team's 1st line, send out those three. They also have the potential to put up some points.
With MP and Armia on the same line, the puck would never leave the O zone...I guess only to be dropped at center ice!

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
The fellowship loves it's glue guys.

He's been ok, I'm not convinced he'll be in the playoff lineup. Not regularly anyway.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Man Armia has been playing so well lately. I am completely at peace when he is on the ice, he's a reassuring presence out there. He's also been right up there with Perreault and Ehlers in players I expect something to happen with everytime they are on the ice.

Loving his game, he better stay on that line when Lowry returns, CLA is very appealing.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg

That second goal is a completely perverted snipe.

Nice game, again.

Love that shot of all the Finnish people in the crowd after the goal. They're all so sad! Production was probably so jacked to throw to a shot of a bunch of Finnish people after a Finnish player scores thinking they'd get great celebrations and they get that...found that amazing. Guess that was Donskoi's whole family?

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I was thinking that Chevy would get Armia for under 2m a year but now I am not sure.
What does everyone think he re-signs for? How long?

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
That snipe goal. The velocity of that shot was madly perverted considering how close his hands were to each other just before the release(when he was powering the shot). Weird stuff.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I don't think the gap between Army and Fro is as large as some want to say.

Frolik was more consistent defensively, for sure.

Armia has more skill, size and potential. He also is excellent at takeaways (though he hasn't done it as much this year).

Is Armia as good as Frolik right now? Maybe, especially considering usage of the two. Frolik got a lot more minutes with a lot weaker forward group.

The one thing that makes me like Joel better is you feel like he is just about to take that next step and become a star. He's almost there. It will be up to him to set his limitations.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't think the gap between Army and Fro is as large as some want to say.

Frolik was more consistent defensively, for sure.

Armia has more skill, size and potential. He also is excellent at takeaways (though he hasn't done it as much this year).

Is Armia as good as Frolik right now? Maybe, especially considering usage of the two. Frolik got a lot more minutes with a lot weaker forward group.

The one thing that makes me like Joel better is you feel like he is just about to take that next step and become a star. He's almost there. It will be up to him to set his limitations.

One factor Fro had that Armia does not is the versatility to play any forward position on any line. I don't know that I would concede Fro being better, or more consistent defensively. He was better/more consistent offensively but Armia is still coming on.

I think there is some similarity in the way Army is being used and the way Frolik was used in Chicago. Army is outproducing Frolik at that stage.

Wheeler
Laine
Armia
Roslovic/Tanev/Dano/Matthias/etc.
is a pretty impressive RW depth chart. :laugh::)

Reactions: brhymes19 and Jet

Mensch

Jan 22, 2018
A buddy of mine really likes Armia and has been telling me about him this year (he really likes Ehlers as well).

Mensch

Jan 22, 2018
Your buddy is a shrewd hockey talent evaluator.

Ya he is a pretty knowledgeable guy so I take his advice often lol. Do you think Armia can reach 40 points this year? If he does do you think he will end up being a 50-60+ point forward in the future? My buddy thinks he stands a chance which is why I took his advice and picked Joel up in my hockey pool (keeper league).

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Ya he is a pretty knowledgeable guy so I take his advice often lol. Do you think Armia can reach 40 points this year? If he does do you think he will end up being a 50-60+ point forward in the future? My buddy thinks he stands a chance which is why I took his advice and picked Joel up in my hockey pool (keeper league).

20 points in the next 33 games? Likely not, but you never know.

Karhuvaari

Dec 4, 2016
I'm quite sure that Armia would atleast match Connor's production if given the chance. He's got only a few games in the top 6 even though in my opinion he has earned it. There's been a couple of games where I would've wished that PM shuffled the lines a bit more.

Do or Die

Jun 28, 2011
Armia probably will not get enough minutes, high enough in the line up. But this takes nothing away from him, as an emerging and valuable 2 way player......

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018

People on the Oilers boards were lamenting that their GM “couldn’t bother” to sign Hendricks for “another year on the cheap” as leadership support to McDavid. They seem to be partly blaming the apparent lack of leadership on McDavid on that fact, which I also have read several articles on. Those claim that O’Connor frequently went to Hendricks for advice. Hendricks is one of the absolute key players for this team and I wouldn’t be surprised if he had a far bigger role in the newfound discipline the Jets’ older core has in regards to defensive responsibility, penalty taking and morale when down by one.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I remember seeing Armia at the iceplex when he first joined the organization. He reminded me of that shy kid who just changed schools. Even earlier this year when I watched him at the UBC practice he still had that look to some extent. Turns out he was fighting a groin injury but still he didn't seem to be having fun out there like other players often do. On TV he does seem like he's having more fun this year at least going by facial expressions.

I'm trying to recall interviews he's done and drawing a blank. Does he avoid the media?

Reactions: GNP

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
The fellowship loves it's glue guys.

He's been ok, I'm not convinced he'll be in the playoff lineup. Not regularly anyway.

Oh he absolutely will, that’s when he’s going to be needed the most. Our players don’t have playoffs experience.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I wouldn’t be surprised if he had a far bigger role in the newfound discipline the Jets’ older core has in regards to defensive responsibility, penalty taking and morale when down by one.

The Hendricks Experience did wonders for Wheeler and Buff last game.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I remember seeing Armia at the iceplex when he first joined the organization. He reminded me of that shy kid who just changed schools. Even earlier this year when I watched him at the UBC practice he still had that look to some extent. Turns out he was fighting a groin injury but still he didn't seem to be having fun out there like other players often do. On TV he does seem like he's having more fun this year at least going by facial expressions.

I'm trying to recall interviews he's done and drawing a blank. Does he avoid the media?

I also get that vibe from Armia -- it's one of the reasons he appeals to me as a player -- but he seems to be well-liked by his teammates based on the practices and pregame skates I've seen. I suspect the media doesn't seek him out -- there's enough big personalities on the team that he can stay out of the limelight without anyone noticing, IMO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->